Mount Snow: Inside Track - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 136
  1. #51
    If I see any of you up at Jay in the spring and you want to hit Pump House, I'll be happy to pose for a photograph in the exact spot the event took place!

    2017/2018: Baby Julia born 12/3/2017!
    [Killington: 12/15] [Mount Snow: 11/27]

    2016/2017: * = powder day
    [Berkshire East: 1/16, 2/10] [Bolton Valley: 1/1, 2/5*, 2/19] [Burke: 12/17*, 1/28*] [Heavenly: 3/5*, 3/11] [Jay Peak: 1/29*, 4/9] [Jiminy Peak: 11/26] [Killington: 12/4, 12/10, 4/8*, 4/15] [Kirkwood: 3/8] [Mad River Glen: 2/25] [Magic: 2/13*] [Mt Rose: 3/7*] [Mount Snow: 4/3] [Northstar: 4/10] [Okemo: 11/23] [Pico: 1/7*, 2/18, 3/19] [Smuggler’s Notch: 1/22] [Stratton: 2/4] [Stowe: 1/21] [Sugarbush: 1/2] [Telluride: 3/27, 3/28*] [Whiteface: 2/12]

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    Any plans to blow snow (at night) or expand this week with highs hitting the low 40's this week?

    Saturday was a blast! It was like Mid-April spring riding conditions.
    As you said, the temps are in the low 40's which rules out making snow. Once we get the temps again we'll be firing up once again to expand. We put in a great 36 hour run though over the past day and a half which really helped to fatten up both widths and base depths as well as prep other trails to open. We also focused some serious firepower on Nitro as we're going to open it as a park on Friday.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by MountSnow View Post
    As you said, the temps are in the low 40's which rules out making snow. Once we get the temps again we'll be firing up once again to expand. We put in a great 36 hour run though over the past day and a half which really helped to fatten up both widths and base depths as well as prep other trails to open. We also focused some serious firepower on Nitro as we're going to open it as a park on Friday.
    Any updates for us as the week progresses? Daily highs are still high-30's after today, but all of the nightly lows are 32 or below.

    In general, will mountains (Mt. Snow included) not bother blowing snow at night if there's only a few hour window? What is the minimum window mountains usually shoot for? Do they wait for a solid 24+ hours where temps will be optimal? I'm mostly just curious, what Mt. Snow has offered so far has been fantastic.
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Posts
    1,681
    MountSnow, can you speak to your Hunter counterparts to set up an account here? It would be awesome of we got the same communications from them here as well.

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    Any updates for us as the week progresses? Daily highs are still high-30's after today, but all of the nightly lows are 32 or below.

    In general, will mountains (Mt. Snow included) not bother blowing snow at night if there's only a few hour window? What is the minimum window mountains usually shoot for? Do they wait for a solid 24+ hours where temps will be optimal? I'm mostly just curious, what Mt. Snow has offered so far has been fantastic.
    We won't be firing up this week with those temps. While we could run for a few hours here and there, it's really not worth it to us. We're super happy with the snow we've made so far and the base depths that we've been able to establish, which puts us in the nice position of not having the scramble and run in short windows with marginal temps.

    We much perfer longer run times when we can really open things up and put in some major production. Also, it takes time to turn on each and every gun, and when we're running 250+ guns by the time we get them all going we'd be almost needing to shut some down if we just had a short window of a few hours. Does that make sense?

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by MountSnow View Post
    We won't be firing up this week with those temps. While we could run for a few hours here and there, it's really not worth it to us. We're super happy with the snow we've made so far and the base depths that we've been able to establish, which puts us in the nice position of not having the scramble and run in short windows with marginal temps.

    We much perfer longer run times when we can really open things up and put in some major production. Also, it takes time to turn on each and every gun, and when we're running 250+ guns by the time we get them all going we'd be almost needing to shut some down if we just had a short window of a few hours. Does that make sense?
    It absolutely makes sense and I figured that's what the "normal" plan usually was/is. I figured it would not make sense to run the guns for only a few hours.
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
    MountSnow, can you speak to your Hunter counterparts to set up an account here? It would be awesome of we got the same communications from them here as well.
    I'll pass it along, but no guarantees.
    They are their own mountain after all.

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    It absolutely makes sense and I figured that's what the "normal" plan usually was/is. I figured it would not make sense to run the guns for only a few hours.
    This makes perfect sense given the huge amount of snow made thus far. But I would hesitate to guess that in leaner times Mt Snow (and others) would take advantage of even short windows of adequate temps to make what they can, while they can.
    2017/18 =
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    This makes perfect sense given the huge amount of snow made thus far. But I would hesitate to guess that in leaner times Mt Snow (and others) would take advantage of even short windows of adequate temps to make what they can, while they can.
    Oh absolutely, especially when it comes to refreshing things for the weekends so that we can deliver the best snow product possible.

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    mahopac, ny
    Posts
    1,473
    Quote Originally Posted by MountSnow View Post
    I'll pass it along, but no guarantees.
    They are their own mountain after all.
    I hear Mt Snow calls all the shots down there

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.