• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

MommaBear

Lots of sections of welded Snowmaking pipe showed up this past week staged along the bottom of Olympic.... Replacing existing pipe on the Northface? Maybe adding snowmaking to Olympic?? Time will tell I guess.....

Saw that piping yesterday and was wondering if I just never noticed it before (covered by snow) or if it was new....lol!

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
This Sunday, April 14th, will be the final day of operations at Mount Snow for the 2018/2019 season.

Please join us in sending off another great season at Mount Snow, during our final Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Sunday will also feature our Golden Egg Hunt, with eggs hidden all across the mountain, including a golden egg that's good for a 2019/2020 Peak Pass.

skiur

Thought you guys were going for the 21st? Kinda cheesy to have an easter egg hunt the week before easter! Mt Snow had a lot of hype after last year and did not seem to live up to it this year.

skimagic

Thought you guys were going for the 21st? Kinda cheesy to have an easter egg hunt the week before easter! Mt Snow had a lot of hype after last year and did not seem to live up to it this year.

Well I was just at ski Cooper this past Saturday and they were having their Eastr Egg hunt, so it appears to be a nice family fun event no matter what time of the year. The closing date is either second or third weekend typically, and is on par with Stratton and Okemo. Bromley is closed.
Business is business.

sull1102

Totally agree with you about the hype, they started out the gate hot and then kept it up throughout most of the season with ridiculous crowds, but here at the end they are really crashing. They ended daily ops before Stratton and Okemo and now the closing date has been finalized a week earlier than hoped. Very surprised and disappointed overall left hoping this is not the start of the end with them closing early every year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Totally agree with you about the hype, they started out the gate hot and then kept it up throughout most of the season with ridiculous crowds, but here at the end they are really crashing. They ended daily ops before Stratton and Okemo and now the closing date has been finalized a week earlier than hoped. Very surprised and disappointed overall left hoping this is not the start of the end with them closing early every year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using AlpineZone mobile app

Peaks can't afford a new chair at Attitash so why would they stay open at Snow and lose more money?

drjeff

Whether it's related to the closing date this weekend or not, mtn ops did over the last day or 2 pull the new snowmaking water line for Freefall into place, not sure if other off season projects where dragging things over the snow vs the ground played into the decision of the hard closing date this coming weekend or not?

Hopefully after their (Peaks) next quarterly investors news conference in about a week or so if I recall correctly, we'll here what off season improvements will be coming up for all of their resorts this Summer.

I will admit that I was hoping for some Easter turns at my home hill, and was expecting that the folks at Mount Snow would be keeping me in suspense about if they would of been happening or not until the middle of next week

jaytrem

Anybody need a free ticket for this weekend? A friend had his season wiped out due to an illness. Luckily only 1 ticket left on his 2 4 packs.

skiur

Whether it's related to the closing date this weekend or not, mtn ops did over the last day or 2 pull the new snowmaking water line for Freefall into place, not sure if other off season projects where dragging things over the snow vs the ground played into the decision of the hard closing date this coming weekend or not?

Hopefully after their (Peaks) next quarterly investors news conference in about a week or so if I recall correctly, we'll here what off season improvements will be coming up for all of their resorts this Summer.

I will admit that I was hoping for some Easter turns at my home hill, and was expecting that the folks at Mount Snow would be keeping me in suspense about if they would of been happening or not until the middle of next week

So lack of snow isnt the reason for closing? Looks to be a bit on the chilly side next week so if they have the snow now I would think it could make it to next weekend.

slatham

Not for nothing but the GFS weather model shows 3-4+" of rain - and no snow - between now and Friday morning April 19th. Temps get as high as the 60's and pretty much don't go below freezing for more than a few fleeting hours. What you see now is not what you'll get in 9 days time.....

FWIW I don't think the kiddieo's are going to complain that the Easter Egg Hunt is not on Easter.

drjeff

So lack of snow isnt the reason for closing? Looks to be a bit on the chilly side next week so if they have the snow now I would think it could make it to next weekend.

No clue what the actual decision for making this Sunday the last day is/was.

In my own opinion, from what I saw snow level wise firsthand this past Sunday while skiing all over the mountain, and what the weather has been this week so far and what the potential weather is looking it it will be next week, even though non wintery, I doubt the decision was 100% because of lack of snow over 10 days ahead of time.

It's also 100% obvious via the Somerset webcam time loop on their main page that they've been doing the work along freefall to put the new snowmaking water pipe into place the past few days. The trees they dropped last week between the bottom jumps of Inferno and the half pipe still appear to be resting on the snow where they were felled per the Carinthia web cam this morning.

I know, from past years, Mount Snow, as well as many other mountains, try and do some work, over snow, at the end of the season when things like new snowmaking pipe or lift tower removal need to be moved as it's easier and less abrasive for the metal objects being moved to drag them over snow than over dry ground.

Aside from the snowmaking water pipe replacement and tree removal to help consolidate snowmaking for the North wall of the half pipe and the base of the lower jump(s) on Inferno, Mount Snow, to my knowledge, hasn't announced anything else in store for off season improvements, and that typically happens at/after the Peak quarterly shareholders report, which I believe is scheduled for sometime next week.

I was definitely hoping for some Easter Sunday turns at my home hill, as that's the next day that I would of had a chance to do so as I'm off to Florida tomorrow with my wife and kids for Spring Break for a week

Last edited:

skiur

Not for nothing but the GFS weather model shows 3-4+" of rain - and no snow - between now and Friday morning April 19th. Temps get as high as the 60's and pretty much don't go below freezing for more than a few fleeting hours. What you see now is not what you'll get in 9 days time.....

FWIW I don't think the kiddieo's are going to complain that the Easter Egg Hunt is not on Easter.

Not the weather I am seeing, nor do I care much about Mt Snow, just find it funny that they hype it up so much last year and earlier this season but then close earlier than normal with a ton of snow. If you want to thump your chest and be one of the big boys then dont close a week early while okemo and stratton are still open.

FBGM

Not the weather I am seeing, nor do I care much about Mt Snow, just find it funny that they hype it up so much last year and earlier this season but then close earlier than normal with a ton of snow. If you want to thump your chest and be one of the big boys then dont close a week early while okemo and stratton are still open.

It’s called pull the plug and minimize the bleeding.

Place probably realizes they are in debt to their eyeballs finally. No surprise they have no summer capex projects. Company usually has to make money for those to happen. Guessing they don’t have any more funny money investors lined up to bankroll their junk resorts.

chuckstah

Anybody need a free ticket for this weekend? A friend had his season wiped out due to an illness. Luckily only 1 ticket left on his 2 4 packs.
Jay, I could use the ticket for a friend Saturday if it's still available, if there's a way to get it?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

After looking at the CAMs and forecast, you think they could offer good skiing this weekend?

njdiver85

Even if they stayed open, which I personally wish they would have, how many people would realistically show up? Lots of people seem to complain about mountains closing, but I doubt most of those complainers would actually be at the mountain if it were open so late in the season. This weekend was incredibly quiet, despite excellent conditions for this time of season. So I'm sure this was partly a business decision and a very reasonable one at that. If more people were to show up the last two weekends, than perhaps it would be different. Until that time, I think Mount Snow made the right decision.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Even if they stayed open, which I personally wish they would have, how many people would realistically show up? Lots of people seem to complain about mountains closing, but I doubt most of those complainers would actually be at the mountain if it were open so late in the season. This weekend was incredibly quiet, despite excellent conditions for this time of season. So I'm sure this was partly a business decision and a very reasonable one at that. If more people were to show up the last two weekends, than perhaps it would be different. Until that time, I think Mount Snow made the right decision.
Depends on the ski area and weather. Wildcat was packed on Saturday

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app