• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

bdfreetuna

Yeah buddy. Just mow over them jongs and Jerry’s. You’ll eventually get sued by some dentist from long island or some Asian businessman from the city. But you’re only worth pennies so they will go for the ski area after they take your life savings of a single wide an 95’ Astro van.

Only 259 posts maybe just start a new account and try to be a useful contributor? You've prematurely removed yourself from the Machiavellian calculation: Neither loved nor feared. Just start over, if we think it's you we won't say anything (unless you blow it).

Jcb890

IMO the cliff to the right of Long John is fair game as long as you don't land on someone. I ski right up there for a 5-7' drop routinely. 10 feet to a flat landing I try to avoid.

I also have no problem with advanced/expert skiers going around slower skiers as if they're slightly mobile GS gates. Just remember, these human beings aren't breakaway gates and they must actually be fully avoided with a little room to spare.

If you want to ski 0mph and have nobody skiing fast nearby there is always the bunny slope.

When it's crowded AF like on a weekend that's another matter, but still plenty of opportunity for passing.

On a relatively empty day I ski Long John/Deer Run as fast as I can go. You need the speed to carry you in a couple sections anyway.

Interested to see how much difference the widening makes.
It's awful when they put ski patrol out there on busier days. They just yell at everyone who is moving with any speed at all.

IMO, there are often times many people on Long John that are not ready for it - like you mentioned.
Everyone wants to go up to the summit, but they don't realize what it actually takes to get all the way down.

When it isn't busy, it really is a very fun trail to bomb down and typically has the best or some of the best snow on the mountain.

drjeff

Long John, Little John, Deer Run, Ridge, Chute and Launch Pad now under the guns for expansion per the updated afternoon snow report

crazy

I also have no problem with advanced/expert skiers going around slower skiers as if they're slightly mobile GS gates. Just remember, these human beings aren't breakaway gates and they must actually be fully avoided with a little room to spare.

If you want to ski 0mph and have nobody skiing fast nearby there is always the bunny slope.

I completely agree.

I am happy to go slow on a bunny slope, and I'll even be a bit cautious on a blue slope unless it's early season, in which case it's game on.

On any black slope or above, I'm going as fast as I possibly can, and I don't care who gets in my way. I love making fast turns around a Jerry like he is a human gate. And it's funny when people get surprised or flustered. They shouldn't be on the expert slopes to begin with. The goal isn't to disrespect Jerry, it's to make him feel unwelcome.

I also hate it when people stop anywhere that isn't the side of the trail, except in cases where the side of the trail is where the best snow is, in which case people need to stop 20 feet from the side of the trail. When people are stopped in bad spots I love skiing really close to them or spraying them with snow to let them know what's up. People get the message.

I also get a bit angry when people put the bar down on the chairlift.

The worst though is when people don't clear the landings of jumps or natural features on trails, or get in my way when I'm trying to pick up speed before hitting a jump. This is the only time when I will yell at people. It was rough last weekend at Killington, so many Jerrys getting in my way when I was trying to hit natural features on the sides of the slopes.

I can't wait for Mount Snow to open. My skis are sharpened and waxed, so I'll be able to tear up the slopes and rage hard.

bdfreetuna

I get angry when people leave the bar up and then don't offer me a swig of their Goldschlager or a puff off their vape.

Just kidding, I ski sober so that in the event of skier collision, I have a plausible advantage in court. As long as hair/blood testing isn't involved, that is.

Smellytele

I completely agree.

I am happy to go slow on a bunny slope, and I'll even be a bit cautious on a blue slope unless it's early season, in which case it's game on.

On any black slope or above, I'm going as fast as I possibly can, and I don't care who gets in my way. I love making fast turns around a Jerry like he is a human gate. And it's funny when people get surprised or flustered. They shouldn't be on the expert slopes to begin with. The goal isn't to disrespect Jerry, it's to make him feel unwelcome.

I also hate it when people stop anywhere that isn't the side of the trail, except in cases where the side of the trail is where the best snow is, in which case people need to stop 20 feet from the side of the trail. When people are stopped in bad spots I love skiing really close to them or spraying them with snow to let them know what's up. People get the message.

The worst though is when people don't clear the landings of jumps or natural features on trails, or get in my way when I'm trying to pick up speed before hitting a jump. This is the only time when I will yell at people. It was rough last weekend at Killington, so many Jerrys getting in my way when I was trying to hit natural features on the sides of the slopes.

I can't wait for Mount Snow to open. My skis are sharpened and waxed, so I'll be able to tear up the slopes and rage hard.

Unless this was an attempt at humor... Glad you ski at Mt Snow.

FBGM

I completely agree.

Did you need to practice your typing while doing thid bad troll thing? That’s a lot of text...

Los

I completely agree.

At first I thought this was the nastiest, ugliest, most mean-spirited and disgraceful post that I've ever read on this board. But then I got to the last line about raging hard at Mount Snow and realized - stupid me - that the post was intended as an obvious parody.

Jcb890

Is Bluebird on Wind Hold or what?
Site says it's on hold, but doesn't specify wind. I have to assume wind, right?
Looks like tomorrow will be same, if not even more windy.

drjeff

Is Bluebird on Wind Hold or what?
Site says it's on hold, but doesn't specify wind. I have to assume wind, right?
Looks like tomorrow will be same, if not even more windy.
Yup, it was on wind hold at the opening bell.

Winds backed off a bit and it started loading folks about 11.

My friends up on the hill today have been sending me a bunch of jealousy inducing pictures and texts, and all agree that the snow surface is quite nice and plentiful!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

Yup, it was on wind hold at the opening bell.

Winds backed off a bit and it started loading folks about 11.

My friends up on the hill today have been sending me a bunch of jealousy inducing pictures and texts, and all agree that the snow surface is quite nice and plentiful!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
I was/am debating heading up tomorrow, but if everything is going to be on wind hold until 11 it seems not worth it.

abc

It's more self-preservation that I give people a lot of room.

I ski in glades often. So I do get the natural urge to ski around stopped skiers as though they're trees (won't break away like poles, won't even bend, hurts if "in contact", so yeah, a little extra room to spare etc.).

The problem is, they may suddenly decide to move! Yeah, yeah, yeah, they're NOT SUPPOSED to... But if they do, I'm the one who had to figure out how to go around them in a hurry.

Same issue with slow moving "slightly mobile slalom gates". They may decide to change direction of travel.

A collision is bad for BOTH parties.

bdfreetuna

Fortunately I'm very good at on-the-fly trigonometry, and skiing 74mph gives me an advantage in the equation.

If all else fails there is always this: :daffy:

I'm just kidding.. I do thread the needle in crowds a lot but not at dickhead speeds.

bdfreetuna

Mt Snow is running the regular summit quad I expect that will also be the case tomorrow. Plus North Face. Maybe they'll just start off with that instead of wasting an hour or two.

Jcb890

Mt Snow is running the regular summit quad I expect that will also be the case tomorrow. Plus North Face. Maybe they'll just start off with that instead of wasting an hour or two.
Conditions report said their plans are to run Bluebird and Challenger (North Face).
Their update this morning said Bluebird was on hold and they were running the Canyon Express, which goes up about 2/3 and can get you over to the North Face. Not the Grand Summit Express which is the other quad next to the Bluebird which goes to the summit.

If I had to guess, I'd bet on similar plans for tomorrow and maybe even worse for Friday as Friday looks like 30 mph AM and afternoon whereas today is 25/15 and tomorrow is 25/20.

icecoast1

^ Thanks for the correction. I'll be there tomorrow either way. Hopefully Challenger has a nice surface.

You might want to bring the rock skis if you're going to try Challenger this time of year. Freefall should be decent though

bdfreetuna

Another good correction. I'm worse with Mount Snow trail names than almost anywhere in New England! Probably because so many similar trails with generic and/or similar names (Ledge and Lodge? c'mon)