• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
@MountSnow ... any comment on this? Will you be building up extra depth over the course of the year and/or running the new system in springtime to extend the season from when you would typically close in previous years?

We don't have any direct plans to give Killi a run for it's money on the late season game, but we should have a better Spring base all over the mountain with this new system.

Jcb890

Any plans to blow snow (at night) or expand this week with highs hitting the low 40's this week?

Saturday was a blast! It was like Mid-April spring riding conditions.

bdfreetuna

Just got home from skiing 9:00 - 1:00 just about non stop. First day out... 17 runs... legs didn't start burning until the last run.

The guns were running all day, which I'm not a huge fan of skiing under but considering there is a really good reason to leave the guns on today I won't complain.

Surfaces were consistently edgeable and in some places they were pretty great especially once some folks pushed the snow around a bit. Only real exception was either Sundance or lower Canyon (not sure which it was) which was an ice rink. Smooth yellowish water ice, not talking glorified hard-pack. It was laughably bad, and I didn't see it coming so it basically meant straight lining the trail on ice because I came upon the ice rink with too much speed to try and cut.

But every other run was good. Freefall was fast and firm but probably my favorite. Ridge was good conditions (and under the guns). Long John and Little John were in mid-season condition.

In case I sound unimpressed -- I was. Massive snowmaking efforts, and the mountain skied very well today with trails in good condition in green, blue and black. Great day to start the season. Mount Snow delivered and certainly not below expectations.

Smellytele

In case I sound unimpressed -- I was. Massive snowmaking efforts, and the mountain skied very well today with trails in good condition in green, blue and black. Great day to start the season. Mount Snow delivered and certainly not below expectations.

This part makes no sense to me - unimpressed then the explanation sounded as you were.

IceEidolon

I read it as "In case I didn't sound impressed - I was (impressed)."

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

If I see any of you up at Jay in the spring and you want to hit Pump House, I'll be happy to pose for a photograph in the exact spot the event took place!

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Any plans to blow snow (at night) or expand this week with highs hitting the low 40's this week?

Saturday was a blast! It was like Mid-April spring riding conditions.

As you said, the temps are in the low 40's which rules out making snow. Once we get the temps again we'll be firing up once again to expand. We put in a great 36 hour run though over the past day and a half which really helped to fatten up both widths and base depths as well as prep other trails to open. We also focused some serious firepower on Nitro as we're going to open it as a park on Friday.

Jcb890

As you said, the temps are in the low 40's which rules out making snow. Once we get the temps again we'll be firing up once again to expand. We put in a great 36 hour run though over the past day and a half which really helped to fatten up both widths and base depths as well as prep other trails to open. We also focused some serious firepower on Nitro as we're going to open it as a park on Friday.
Any updates for us as the week progresses? Daily highs are still high-30's after today, but all of the nightly lows are 32 or below.

In general, will mountains (Mt. Snow included) not bother blowing snow at night if there's only a few hour window? What is the minimum window mountains usually shoot for? Do they wait for a solid 24+ hours where temps will be optimal? I'm mostly just curious, what Mt. Snow has offered so far has been fantastic.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Any updates for us as the week progresses? Daily highs are still high-30's after today, but all of the nightly lows are 32 or below.

In general, will mountains (Mt. Snow included) not bother blowing snow at night if there's only a few hour window? What is the minimum window mountains usually shoot for? Do they wait for a solid 24+ hours where temps will be optimal? I'm mostly just curious, what Mt. Snow has offered so far has been fantastic.

We won't be firing up this week with those temps. While we could run for a few hours here and there, it's really not worth it to us. We're super happy with the snow we've made so far and the base depths that we've been able to establish, which puts us in the nice position of not having the scramble and run in short windows with marginal temps.

We much perfer longer run times when we can really open things up and put in some major production. Also, it takes time to turn on each and every gun, and when we're running 250+ guns by the time we get them all going we'd be almost needing to shut some down if we just had a short window of a few hours. Does that make sense?

Jcb890

We won't be firing up this week with those temps. While we could run for a few hours here and there, it's really not worth it to us. We're super happy with the snow we've made so far and the base depths that we've been able to establish, which puts us in the nice position of not having the scramble and run in short windows with marginal temps.

We much perfer longer run times when we can really open things up and put in some major production. Also, it takes time to turn on each and every gun, and when we're running 250+ guns by the time we get them all going we'd be almost needing to shut some down if we just had a short window of a few hours. Does that make sense?
It absolutely makes sense and I figured that's what the "normal" plan usually was/is. I figured it would not make sense to run the guns for only a few hours.

slatham

It absolutely makes sense and I figured that's what the "normal" plan usually was/is. I figured it would not make sense to run the guns for only a few hours.

This makes perfect sense given the huge amount of snow made thus far. But I would hesitate to guess that in leaner times Mt Snow (and others) would take advantage of even short windows of adequate temps to make what they can, while they can.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
This makes perfect sense given the huge amount of snow made thus far. But I would hesitate to guess that in leaner times Mt Snow (and others) would take advantage of even short windows of adequate temps to make what they can, while they can.

Oh absolutely, especially when it comes to refreshing things for the weekends so that we can deliver the best snow product possible.