• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

drjeff

Freefall to be groomed tonight or not?

Considering it was about 2 weeks before they groomed it after the 1st round of snowmaking on it, my hunch is it stays whaled up, and let the water drain out of the fresh snow until Plummet and Chute open up in a few days

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Considering it was about 2 weeks before they groomed it after the 1st round of snowmaking on it, my hunch is it stays whaled up, and let the water drain out of the fresh snow until Plummet and Chute open up in a few days

Thanks Jeff. I was thinking the same thing.

I have the suspicion that you feel de-throned from the position of "AZ's Mount Snow King" now that we have this thread...

:lol::lol::lol:

cdskier

Damn!!! Loving the West Lake firepower!!

Drjeff should make this his signature! I feel like he's said this about 100 times so far this season ;)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Long live King Jeff!
A certain bartender in the Taproom this past weekend gave me my own Mount Snow "staff" pin with my name as "Governor" - so all is good!!!!

Now I just need to find who took my "Dr Jeff" name plate off one of my preferred Taproom corner barstools!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
IMG_5540.jpg
Fun stat: We've utilized 500 individual guns in the past 24 hours. It's really amazing the difference it makes having so much fixed infrastructure. This map is a few hours old, but as of this morning we have 301 guns going on 18 trails. BOOM!

Jcb890

Thank you very much for the insight and information. Those maps are awesome to see also.

Is Sundance the pod of trails up at the top of the photo? Is that all natural snowfall terrain or is there some snow making over there? Sorry, I can't remember that last part.
Also, what are the dotted red lines on the map? Are they snow gun locations which are currently off?

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Thank you very much for the insight and information. Those maps are awesome to see also.

Is Sundance the pod of trails up at the top of the photo? Is that all natural snowfall terrain or is there some snow making over there? Sorry, I can't remember that last part.
Also, what are the dotted red lines on the map? Are they snow gun locations which are currently off?

Yes, that top part is natural snow only terrain on Sunbrook...for now...

Green Dot = Snowgun in use
Red Dot = Snowgun idle

Jcb890

Red Dot = Snowgun idle
Whoops, Sunbrook! I always seem to get the naming confused between Sundance lodge and Sunbrook trails. Thanks!

BenedictGomez

Damn!!! Loving the West Lake firepower!!

I've never skied at Mount Snow, but I did pick up an interesting tid-bit listening to their 3Q17 earnings call yesterday.

They mentioned that at Christmas time, historically they have 50% to 70% of their terrain open, but now with the increased mojo they think that's going to be 80% at worst and possibly 100%. As I'm sure you know, that week is the #1 revenue week for ski resorts, so that really caught my ear as being financially significant. Not just because skiers tend to migrate to areas where the most terrain is open, but also because there is a $$ pull-through on terrain expansion as you dont have to discount, so top-line revenue should look better because of that on that front as well. Lastly, when you think about last season, the early season was pretty poor IIRC, so SKIS YoY comps are probably going to look really good in 1Q18. My 2¢.

Smellytele

Not sure why the masses ski so much on Christmas week. Conditions are usually marginal (maybe not at Mt Snow this year) but I guess all students have that week off while in Feb/March different towns have different weeks off - if at all.

Jully

Not sure why the masses ski so much on Christmas week. Conditions are usually marginal (maybe not at Mt Snow this year) but I guess all students have that week off while in Feb/March different towns have different weeks off - if at all.

Everyone has the week off, exactly. Only other week off during ski season is a week in February, but that is one of as many as 3 different weeks so the crowds aren't the same with the exception of the Saturday of President's day weekend.

Also the notion of the 'white christmas' is everywhere. Not everyone (probably most don't) understands that christmas is the literal beginning of snowy season, not a midway point.

slatham

Red Dot = Snowgun idle

And BLUE = open terrain?

Really impressive. Nice that mother nature is cooperating and letting you show off!

drjeff

Currently about 25 about 300 ft above the base. 2" of snow on my deck. Was probably 3" at one of my son's friend's house's, that's maybe another 150-200ft higher in elevation than my place is, when I dropped him off about an hour ago. Snowing lightly currently. Definitely let up a bit compared to a few hours ago.

drjeff

11PM update.... Still about 25 on my back deck up across the street from Mount Snow... 3" on the deck... Still snowing lightly, no wind, and the sound of, plus the lights of fan guns running across the valley...

Going to be a VERY GOOD day tomorrow!!