• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

Glenn

I do remember when they were open late season (april 20+) with carinthia-only skiing a couple years ago. This was when they put the mini halfpipe on mineshaft, which I think is the only pitch that can hold snow over there.

That was a fun weekend. Sunny and warm. Made some turns with drjeff and some other friends. Enjoyed a beverage or two afterwards on the deck IRRC.

skimagic

Would you check back in tomorrow and let us know how it is? Thinking about heading up for late morning Friday. Wanted to head up tonight with the kid (he's on break) but he's sounding like he's done for the season.

Any info would be good, snow report lists 51 trails, but later, 40 trails as open. Is jaws done? It's one of my favs.

Jcb890

Any info would be good, snow report lists 51 trails, but later, 40 trails as open. Is jaws done? It's one of my favs.
I think Jaws and Ripcord over on the North Face have been closed for a couple of weeks, haven't they?

chuckstah

I'm at Mount Snow now. Good cover everywhere. Carinthia softened up nicely. North face not at all. Main face is good once down a couple hundred yards. Ripcord was groomed. It's definitely worth the trip this weekend. Even got into a couple glades with good cover. Should be even more terrain open with a bit of sun and warmer temps. Oh, and it's snowing out.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

icecoast1

I think Jaws and Ripcord over on the North Face have been closed for a couple of weeks, haven't they?

Probably done unless we get a a huge storm or it warms up and softens up, the un groomed stuff isn't really all that skiable right now due to the ice they got the other night.

sull1102

Same here, just heading home and the mountain is riding really nice despite no sun whatsoever. Carinthia was the place to be once again. Up at the summit there's a patch of ice here and there, but not an issue. The weekend could be absolutely epic here.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

Killington was the plan on Sunday, but with them closing terrain to get an early start on upgrades, we might look to go elsewhere with more open terrain.

Who else is going to be there on the 22nd?

Only ting closed ins Snowdon which is accessible with a 5 minute hike. Otherwise, the closures are typical for this time of year. We'll be there.

Jcb890

Only ting closed ins Snowdon which is accessible with a 5 minute hike. Otherwise, the closures are typical for this time of year. We'll be there.
I thought they usually keep Ramshead open at this time as well, no?

bdfreetuna

Just got back from Mount Snow

Mount Snow will/should be 95% open (besides Sun Brook) once things soften up.

Incredible base and coverage. Really looked more like February up there, felt like it too. I was lapping the Carinthia woods today, total coverage in there minus a couple sticks.

Would highly recommend anyone go to Mount Snow this weekend, with the warm temps and sunshine you'll be skiing most of the terrain.

Everything on North Face has more than enough snow for spring moguls... just a matter of recent ice storm and thaw/freeze up there today, ungroomed was pretty much bulletproof until after lunch.

If you go this weekend it'll be right on the money. Was hoping for more snow today than actually ended up falling -- but they don't need it.

sull1102

This weekend was one of the all time greats. Patrol was aggressively dropping ropes on Sunday once things softened up. Not one cloud was seen on Sunday all day and the woods off Olympic were EPIC. I really wish I took some photos of the crowd, yesterday until about noon the Bluebird singles line went to were the corral for the Canyon quad usually begins. People were loving it out there and everyone was wishing for another weekend of skiing, but it seems there must be some other factors at play here because when people are parking down to Handle Rd at Carinthia you cannot tell me there aren't enough people interested in skiing. Either way, HUGE thanks to every staff member at Mount Snow for what was one of the greatest seasons yet!

Now that the season is over summer improvement news must be coming soon, unless we are "only" getting the new Carinthia base lodge and some chairs on Nitro.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
This weekend was one of the all time greats. Patrol was aggressively dropping ropes on Sunday once things softened up. Not one cloud was seen on Sunday all day and the woods off Olympic were EPIC. I really wish I took some photos of the crowd, yesterday until about noon the Bluebird singles line went to were the corral for the Canyon quad usually begins. People were loving it out there and everyone was wishing for another weekend of skiing, but it seems there must be some other factors at play here because when people are parking down to Handle Rd at Carinthia you cannot tell me there aren't enough people interested in skiing. Either way, HUGE thanks to every staff member at Mount Snow for what was one of the greatest seasons yet!

Now that the season is over summer improvement news must be coming soon, unless we are "only" getting the new Carinthia base lodge and some chairs on Nitro.

It really comes down to attendence, as well as snowpack. While it looked like there were a lot of people skiing yesterday, that was really due to three factors. 1. Many more people come out for the last day of the season, which was why we had a busier Sunday than Saturday. 2. Everyone was condenced into that one lift while waiting for the North Face to thaw, so it made it look like there were more people here than there really were.

As for the snowpack, have you seen the weather report for the coming week? Highs in the 60s and more than an inch of warm rain on Wednesday. We're going to lose snow quickly, and it's not financially viable to limp along on a few trails for one more weekend. We'd much rather go out on top with a fantastic weekend with great coverage, instead of dodging rocks on a couple of trails with very limited attendence.

If you're looking to scratch the itch, Wildcat is still 100% open and in the process of planning a Cinco de Mayo party!

slatham

It really comes down to attendence, as well as snowpack. While it looked like there were a lot of people skiing yesterday, that was really due to three factors. 1. Many more people come out for the last day of the season, which was why we had a busier Sunday than Saturday. 2. Everyone was condenced into that one lift while waiting for the North Face to thaw, so it made it look like there were more people here than there really were.

As for the snowpack, have you seen the weather report for the coming week? Highs in the 60s and more than an inch of warm rain on Wednesday. We're going to lose snow quickly, and it's not financially viable to limp along on a few trails for one more weekend. We'd much rather go out on top with a fantastic weekend with great coverage, instead of dodging rocks on a couple of trails with very limited attendence.

If you're looking to scratch the itch, Wildcat is still 100% open and in the process of planning a Cinco de Mayo party!

Not to mention that by planning to open next weekend you make a huge bet on the weather over the weekend cooperating, and odds are it won't be as nice as this past weekend. Time to move on to spring sports (or Wildcat)......