• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Anywayyyysssssss, riding the Bluebird right now and it looks and feels like February right now. Calling for a few inches tomorrow into Friday to touch things up for closing weekend. Really should open next weekend, just sayinggggggg

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

All good things must come to an end!

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Makes me think... whats the latest Mt. Snow has stayed open? This might be the year to break that record to put the icing on the cake of an unbelievable season

The latest closing (not counting Fountain Mountain) we have on record is May 14th, which is a LONG way away with temps in the 40s and 50s forcasted to settle in this weekend.

mtsnow123

My question would be how many people riding these days have season passes? If >50%, that's little money being made to pay workers, facilities, and energy. Also way less people coming up with spring sports started or the backyard effect.

I still ride, but only at mountains I have season passes at and I bring my lunch, that's zero money being made by the resort.

mtsnow123

When you have greater than 30 days at the mountain and have the 20s pass, I wouldn't say there's much to be made. Doing the math, it's $14/day equivalent.

sull1102

Hey I'll tell ya what there's a good amount of people out here. Bluebird's had a couple minute wait all morning, but probably due to reduced running speed and carriers. Looks like there's only 50 chairs up for today and that wind is a howling so I see why.

mtsnow123

Plenty of resorts have closed with lots of snow. In Vermont for example Stowe, Bolton, Magic, Stratton, MRG. I was at both Bolton and Stowe last weekend for their closing weekends. No patches of dirt to be found. Could be a little different based on the non-frozen this week, but another 4+ inches last night and another 4+ by Friday. Should make for some good pow turns Friday morning at Sugarbush. Buying the season pass for next season there allows unlimited spring skiing and they're usually open till May 6th or so.

Jcb890

I completely forgot Stowe closed last weekend. That's rather... shitty?
They must have been at or close to 100% open still.

mtsnow123

I completely forgot Stowe closed last weekend. That's rather... shitty?
They must have been at or close to 100% open still.

I was there Saturday, unfortunately the rain and abrupt drop in temperatures allowed for the sketchiest riding I have ever done. Imagine a skating rink on a hill. Because of that, anything ungroomed was closed.

Jcb890

I was there Saturday, unfortunately the rain and abrupt drop in temperatures allowed for the sketchiest riding I have ever done. Imagine a skating rink on a hill. Because of that, anything ungroomed was closed.
I meant coverage-wise, sorry. I would be willing to bet they have more than enough snow cover and base to go through the end of April.

sull1102

Yeah the Stowe crowd is not happy with their Vail overlords over this. Back to Mount Snow, I'd argue if anyone can bring in the crowd late into the season it should be Snow. It's a whole lot closer to the cities than the other guys, the clientele is a little more "hardcore" than the Stratton crowd that generally doesn't care to ski after March 15th. Also Snow has the best park in the East, and this season quite possibly the country, and the park crowd will keep riding until you lock them out and even then they'll hike as long as you allow.

drjeff

My hunch is that come Sunday evening and Monday, there will be cats on the hill pushing snow around to facilitate non snow season work and prep on the mountain bike trails for their opening in a bit over a month.

The reality is there's LOTS of on mountain stuff to do this summer. The newly widened section of Long John will have I believe about 10 feet of the blasted rock from last summer removed and trucked down to the Carinthia base area to act as fill around the new lodge under construction. That in itself is a big and time consuming project, and the sooner the snow is cleared, melted and the ground drys a bit, the sooner that project can commence...

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Going up there tomorrow hope for a few inches of fresh tracks and North Face runs all day.

$38.99 for a ticket through the website/Liftopia is pretty good for less than 24 hours advance purchase.

MommaBear

Going up there tomorrow hope for a few inches of fresh tracks and North Face runs all day.

Would you check back in tomorrow and let us know how it is? Thinking about heading up for late morning Friday. Wanted to head up tonight with the kid (he's on break) but he's sounding like he's done for the season.

sull1102

Also planning on going back up tomorrow and will try to report back. Today was interesting, if you stayed at Carinthia it was close to a great day, especially after the sun poked through here and there and softened things up just a bit. Went over to the Bluebird and wow things different. A lot less sun and the summit was in the clouds all day. Summit was a cold windy place to be, but drop down twenty feet and things got better. That was the trend of the day, from say the top of Ego Alley down everything was great and can't wait to get back on it. Only issues were lift related, got caught on Nitro for 25 minutes and once it got going again it didn't run right, kept stopping and starting again. Bluebird was running only 50 chairs spaced out by about 10 seconds and half speed so there was almost always a crowd waiting to load. All in all a great day, happy to be going back tomorrow.

icecoast1

They could probably stay open as long as Killington if they knocked down all the features in carinthia but there isn't enough people that come to justify it. There being a wait on the bluebird today was kind of deceiving because the north face was on wind hold and sun brook is closed to everybody is riding one lift. If the weather looks good for next weekend it would be cool to see them open, there might be a few people that show up since most everyone else is closed but I understand if they don't. They're not making money off the pass holders that are showing up

drjeff

They could probably stay open as long as Killington if they knocked down all the features in carinthia but there isn't enough people that come to justify it. There being a wait on the bluebird today was kind of deceiving because the north face was on wind hold and sun brook is closed to everybody is riding one lift. If the weather looks good for next weekend it would be cool to see them open, there might be a few people that show up since most everyone else is closed but I understand if they don't. They're not making money off the pass holders that are showing up
Not a chance!! Too low an elevation and East facing trails in general work against that.

Even when they push the snow from the last few jumps on Inferno all together to create a pile for their Memorial Day weekend Peace Pipe Jam, by the time they push all that snow out a few days before the event, they get a maybe 2 football field size patch of snow 3 to 4 feet deep that melts out in a few days after typically....

While there is a BIG amount of snow over at Carinthia, it's not nearly enough to hang with Killington season length wise on an actual real length trail basis unfortunately....

GregoryIsaacs

Not a chance!! Too low an elevation and East facing trails in general work against that.

Even when they push the snow from the last few jumps on Inferno all together to create a pile for their Memorial Day weekend Peace Pipe Jam, by the time they push all that snow out a few days before the event, they get a maybe 2 football field size patch of snow 3 to 4 feet deep that melts out in a few days after typically....

While there is a BIG amount of snow over at Carinthia, it's not nearly enough to hang with Killington season length wise on an actual real length trail basis unfortunately....

I do remember when they were open late season (april 20+) with carinthia-only skiing a couple years ago. This was when they put the mini halfpipe on mineshaft, which I think is the only pitch that can hold snow over there.