Mount Snow (Thanksgiving Leftovers) - 11/25/2017 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I went up to Mount Snow today (Thurs. the 30th) to see what all the fuss is about the upgraded snow making. First time I've tried the place so wasn't sure what to expect. They certainly have made a lot of snow. Coverage on the open trails looked quite thick and wide.

With the freeze/thaw cycles the base was hard as a rock today, but the groomers did a decent job of getting some loose granular on top of it. Any ungroomed terrain was not a place you wanted to be as that was just ice. It was overcast all morning and the temps stayed fairly low, so nothing really softened up during the day.

It was my first day out this season, and actually my first day out in a few years. I've got to get in shape for January trip out west, and I found I have a long way to go. Mount Snow was a good place to ease into it. The trails are nice and long, so my legs were destroyed by the end of the day, which is what I wanted.

Overall it seems like a decent mountain, but probably not worth the driving time for me compared to other places. From metro Boston it took me about 2 and a half hours, not counting a backup on VT-9 due to an accident.

Best trail for me today was the Little John/Ridge trail. Although the place was very uncrowded today, this trail was nearly deserted and had the best conditions in terms of loose snow.

Mount Snow (Thanksgiving Leftovers) - 11/25/2017

I decided to start my season at Mt Snow (never thought that would happen) last Tuesday, 28Nov. We picked up our Peak passes and enjoyed a beautiful, deserted day there. You could quite comfortably sit outside. Snow conditions were good. It was the nicest first-day-of-the-season I can remember.

It was only the 4th day Id skied there ever. Id never done a direct day trip there, and I discovered its a 2:44 drive from my place. Nice to know its a true day trip option.

Quote Originally Posted by speden View Post
    I went up to Mount Snow today (Thurs. the 30th) to see what all the fuss is about the upgraded snow making. First time I've tried the place so wasn't sure what to expect. They certainly have made a lot of snow. Coverage on the open trails looked quite thick and wide.

With the freeze/thaw cycles the base was hard as a rock today, but the groomers did a decent job of getting some loose granular on top of it. Any ungroomed terrain was not a place you wanted to be as that was just ice. It was overcast all morning and the temps stayed fairly low, so nothing really softened up during the day.

It was my first day out this season, and actually my first day out in a few years. I've got to get in shape for January trip out west, and I found I have a long way to go. Mount Snow was a good place to ease into it. The trails are nice and long, so my legs were destroyed by the end of the day, which is what I wanted.

Overall it seems like a decent mountain, but probably not worth the driving time for me compared to other places. From metro Boston it took me about 2 and a half hours, not counting a backup on VT-9 due to an accident.

Best trail for me today was the Little John/Ridge trail. Although the place was very uncrowded today, this trail was nearly deserted and had the best conditions in terms of loose snow.
    For me it's about 2 hours in change from Acton, which isn't too bad. If you don't mind the dirt road off of route 9, it can shave a little time and dumps you onto 100. Sounds like you had a great day on the snow though!

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    I decided to start my season at Mt Snow (never thought that would happen) last Tuesday, 28Nov. We picked up our Peak passes and enjoyed a beautiful, deserted day there. You could quite comfortably sit outside. Snow conditions were good. It was the nicest first-day-of-the-season I can remember.

It was only the 4th day I’d skied there ever. I’d never done a direct day trip there, and I discovered it’s a 2:44 drive from my place. Nice to know it’s a true day trip option.
    I found that hitting snow at the beginning of the season is really good. Love the Peak Pass - added with Crotched is only 60 minutes from my home and I also have Gunstock (did their flex pass this year) - it works out pretty well. Now to get my 6 year old out on the snow!

Skiing for 2017-2018 - 2 Visits

Mount Snow: 11/11/2017, 11/25/2017

Seasons Past:
    2016-2017 - 23 Visits; 2015-2016 - 17 Visits; 2014-2015 - 20 visits: 2013-2014 - 19 visits: 2012-2013 - 13 Visits;
    2011-2012 - 16 Visits; 2011-2012 - 16 Visits; 2010-2011 - 19 Visits; 2009-2010 - 16 Visits; 2008-2009 - 15 Visits

Thread Information