• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow (Thanksgiving Leftovers) - 11/25/2017

Bostonian

Date: 11/25/2017

Resort:
Mount Snow - Dover Vt

Conditions:
Man Made, Spring Conditions

Report: Made it up to Snow today to get some spring skiing in at the end of November! It really was a spectacular day out on the hill with now multiple routes down from the top open. I ended up hitting Lodge to Lower Exhibition, Cascade to Canyon, Ridge and both Long John/Dear Run combos. Snow held up really well in spite of the 50F temps. The place was packed. Didn't ski Freefall this go around as I was having fun lapping top to bottom on multiple trails. Also almost had a boarder crash into me though when he tagged a "slow skiing" pole and he wasn't looking - but nothing too bad! All in all a fantastic day!

Now the pictures:

Looking down Lodge:
23915882_10155100768192963_2798921988055681066_n.jpg

Looking up at the bubble:
23915875_10155100768087963_8887064742109713577_n.jpg

Cascade:
23843633_10155100768022963_7884916300355406132_n.jpg

Lodge after the the small steeps:
23795822_10155100298997963_1805720763028526042_n.jpg

Waffles!
23905576_10155100353972963_2022482937289687794_n.jpg

Bottom of Canyon:
23844955_10155100214612963_2826056595438043656_n.jpg

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Wow...I'm surprised to see the Grand Summit go up with full chairs. That coupled with the Bluebird for 5 ways down the hill... :-o

Guess word got out the Mount Snow is kicking ass this year!!!

prsboogie

Was there on Friday and it was great then too. If they were running the grand summit im sure its because everyone was complaining it wasnt running Fri! They are doing a great job early season for sure

drjeff

Wow...I'm surprised to see the Grand Summit go up with full chairs. That coupled with the Bluebird for 5 ways down the hill... :-o

Guess word got out the Mount Snow is kicking ass this year!!!
Word from reliable sources is that ticket window sales are up BIG TIME so far! The public gets what powerful snowmaking and distinct top to bottom runs mean early season!!

That being said, as with no argument from me, a self declared HUGE Mount Snow fan, while I love what my home mountain has done in upping their snowmaking game, the amount of snow I saw on Superstar at Killington today during the World Cup Race, is far deeper than any depth at Mount Snow now, short of the depth of a couple of jumps on Gulch over at Carinthia!!

The Mount Snow snowmakers have way more firepower than ever now. They have leveled the playing field with Killington's awesome snowmakers. In the end, we all benefit!! Awesome stuff!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Bostonian

I could tell that their ticket sales were through the roof, I so more single ticket holders than passholders! I am really happy that I made the plunge again this year with the peaks pass and am impressed how they have been bringing the goods. Quickly becoming a Mount Snow fan here!

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
I could tell that their ticket sales were through the roof, I so more single ticket holders than passholders! I am really happy that I made the plunge again this year with the peaks pass and am impressed how they have been bringing the goods. Quickly becoming a Mount Snow fan here!

Glad you enjoyed yourself this weekend. See you soon!

Jcb890

We were there Saturday also and had a blast. The snow was a lot of fun. Crowds were a bit of a pain at times, but we wound up doing an early lunch and it worked perfect having much shorter lines during a "normal" lunch time. We left around 1 or 1:30 I think.

Freefall was nice early in the day. Good and edge-able with very little ice.
IMO, the best run of the day with the best snow was Long John to Deer Run. The snow was fantastic and most times the crowds would continue on Long John or head straight onto Carinthia. I'm looking forward to when they open Cut Off, Long John -> Cut Off -> Deer Run -> Long John is a fun one.

Might have to make this my home Mt..
That's what we've done! Quite happy to this point too. At just over 2 hours to get there, not so bad for a day trip either.

speden

I went up to Mount Snow today (Thurs. the 30th) to see what all the fuss is about the upgraded snow making. First time I've tried the place so wasn't sure what to expect. They certainly have made a lot of snow. Coverage on the open trails looked quite thick and wide.

With the freeze/thaw cycles the base was hard as a rock today, but the groomers did a decent job of getting some loose granular on top of it. Any ungroomed terrain was not a place you wanted to be as that was just ice. It was overcast all morning and the temps stayed fairly low, so nothing really softened up during the day.

It was my first day out this season, and actually my first day out in a few years. I've got to get in shape for January trip out west, and I found I have a long way to go. Mount Snow was a good place to ease into it. The trails are nice and long, so my legs were destroyed by the end of the day, which is what I wanted.

Overall it seems like a decent mountain, but probably not worth the driving time for me compared to other places. From metro Boston it took me about 2 and a half hours, not counting a backup on VT-9 due to an accident.

Best trail for me today was the Little John/Ridge trail. Although the place was very uncrowded today, this trail was nearly deserted and had the best conditions in terms of loose snow.

Edd

I decided to start my season at Mt Snow (never thought that would happen) last Tuesday, 28Nov. We picked up our Peak passes and enjoyed a beautiful, deserted day there. You could quite comfortably sit outside. Snow conditions were good. It was the nicest first-day-of-the-season I can remember.

It was only the 4th day I’d skied there ever. I’d never done a direct day trip there, and I discovered it’s a 2:44 drive from my place. Nice to know it’s a true day trip option.

Bostonian

I went up to Mount Snow today (Thurs. the 30th) to see what all the fuss is about the upgraded snow making. First time I've tried the place so wasn't sure what to expect. They certainly have made a lot of snow. Coverage on the open trails looked quite thick and wide.

With the freeze/thaw cycles the base was hard as a rock today, but the groomers did a decent job of getting some loose granular on top of it. Any ungroomed terrain was not a place you wanted to be as that was just ice. It was overcast all morning and the temps stayed fairly low, so nothing really softened up during the day.

It was my first day out this season, and actually my first day out in a few years. I've got to get in shape for January trip out west, and I found I have a long way to go. Mount Snow was a good place to ease into it. The trails are nice and long, so my legs were destroyed by the end of the day, which is what I wanted.

Overall it seems like a decent mountain, but probably not worth the driving time for me compared to other places. From metro Boston it took me about 2 and a half hours, not counting a backup on VT-9 due to an accident.

Best trail for me today was the Little John/Ridge trail. Although the place was very uncrowded today, this trail was nearly deserted and had the best conditions in terms of loose snow.

For me it's about 2 hours in change from Acton, which isn't too bad. If you don't mind the dirt road off of route 9, it can shave a little time and dumps you onto 100. Sounds like you had a great day on the snow though!

I decided to start my season at Mt Snow (never thought that would happen) last Tuesday, 28Nov. We picked up our Peak passes and enjoyed a beautiful, deserted day there. You could quite comfortably sit outside. Snow conditions were good. It was the nicest first-day-of-the-season I can remember.

It was only the 4th day I’d skied there ever. I’d never done a direct day trip there, and I discovered it’s a 2:44 drive from my place. Nice to know it’s a true day trip option.

I found that hitting snow at the beginning of the season is really good. Love the Peak Pass - added with Crotched is only 60 minutes from my home and I also have Gunstock (did their flex pass this year) - it works out pretty well. Now to get my 6 year old out on the snow!