driving from SLC to jackson? to big sky? - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    When they say SUV or RAV4, people think that means 4WD, but it doesn't; I think they're tricking people with that marketing. In fact, one rental company told me none of the RAV4 in inventory are 4WD, so unless the rental car explicitly stated it's 4WD, I would not bank on receiving that if my life depended on it.

In the last two trips I had out west (DEN & SLC), my experience was similar to Kusty's, in that the price difference between a normal car and a guaranteed 4WD (key here) vehicle was large. And the extortional part is it can get even worse on the fly! When I landed at SLC, snow was expected, and the rental car counters jacked up the rate even worse. LOL And IIRC, the pricing at SLC was significantly worse than the pricing at DEN.

EDIT: Just checked my spreadsheets for the trips

2016 SLC (4 door sedan for 8 days, wound up being a Nissan Sentra) =$222.25 I wanted 4WD, but it was insanely more money, I think like 3x what I paid in the $600 to almost $700 area. So I risked it and figured I'd ride the bus up LCC/BCC at worst. Wound up getting lucky and didnt need 4WD at all.

2017 DEN (mid-size SUV 4WD for 8 days, wound up being a Dodge Durango) = $316.59

So my memory was right about SLC, but incorrect about DEN. And that Dodge Durango was the worst P.O.S. you can imagine. Friends dont let friends drive Dodge, but it was the only 4WD DEN had left so beggers couldn't be choosers.

Last edited by BenedictGomez; Nov 29, 2017 at 12:35 AM.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I’ve driven from W Yellowstone to Big Sky in a six inch snowstorm. Just like driving the last 10 miles to Jay. Did it in a suburban. My advice is drive during day light. At Big Sky the Challenger lift is open. That is all you need. Sun Valley. Make sure Warm Springs is open. Ketchum is a better eating and drinking town than Big Sky.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I'm officially depressed about all this ...
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Yep, BG's post is my exact recent experience
    ~the stars turn, and a time presents itself~

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I've never had to deal with renting a car...do prices fluctuate a lot? (i.e. if I look a week from now for that same time-frame, will prices change drastically from what I see today?)
    I'll answer my own question. Holy crap do prices fluctuate a lot. The Suburban that was $530 last night when I looked today is over $1500. The car that was $320 yesterday is $450 (but another car is now $350). Also, the Tahoe details say it is 2WD, none of the other SUVs say one way or the other. So I guess reserving online you have absolutely no idea what you're getting (at least from this one place)? That's one awesome business model.

clear your cookies and use private browsing, they know you're thirsty
    ~the stars turn, and a time presents itself~

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    clear your cookies and use private browsing, they know you're thirsty
    No change even with Incognito browsing. Also just tried from my work computer and see the same results I saw on my own computer this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    No change even with Incognito browsing. Also just tried from my work computer and see the same results I saw on my own computer this morning.
    Tuesdays are the best days to book travel
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

the price difference between a normal car and a guaranteed 4WD (key here) vehicle was large.
    How does one guarantee a 4wd?

All I see are classes like SUV of different sozes, with notes of say “Toyota RAV or similar”

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    When they say SUV or RAV4, people think that means 4WD, but it doesn't; I think they're tricking people with that marketing. In fact, one rental company told me none of the RAV4 in inventory are 4WD, so unless the rental car explicitly stated it's 4WD, I would not bank on receiving that if my life depended on it.

In the last two trips I had out west (DEN & SLC), my experience was similar to Kusty's, in that the price difference between a normal car and a guaranteed 4WD (key here) vehicle was large. And the extortional part is it can get even worse on the fly! When I landed at SLC, snow was expected, and the rental car counters jacked up the rate even worse. LOL And IIRC, the pricing at SLC was significantly worse than the pricing at DEN.

EDIT: Just checked my spreadsheets for the trips

2016 SLC (4 door sedan for 8 days, wound up being a Nissan Sentra) =$222.25 I wanted 4WD, but it was insanely more money, I think like 3x what I paid in the $600 to almost $700 area. So I risked it and figured I'd ride the bus up LCC/BCC at worst. Wound up getting lucky and didnt need 4WD at all.

2017 DEN (mid-size SUV 4WD for 8 days, wound up being a Dodge Durango) = $316.59

So my memory was right about SLC, but incorrect about DEN. And that Dodge Durango was the worst P.O.S. you can imagine. Friends dont let friends drive Dodge, but it was the only 4WD DEN had left so beggers couldn't be choosers.
    I think timing matters as well. When we looked into trip pricing SLC and DEN were similar for car rentals. SLC was a bit more, but not crazy.

Like I said in my previous post, I look for the "4WD" or "AWD", exact model doesn't so much matter, I'd rather have something AWD/4WD. If that is what I sign up for, that is what they owe me.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Tuesdays are the best days to book travel
    Normally correct.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    How does one guarantee a 4wd?

All I see are classes like SUV of different sozes, with notes of say “Toyota RAV or similar”
    You may have to find the right model. I didn't have many issues when I used Kayak and was able to find if it was AWD/4WD or not. I am now having a tough time finding that information though. I thought when I looked last year they had a little graphic showing the drive wheels.
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

Thread Information