driving from SLC to jackson? to big sky? - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 93
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    How does one guarantee a 4wd?



    All I see are classes like SUV of different sizes, with notes of say “Toyota RAV or similar”
    That's sort of one of the points I was trying to make. There are some (though seemingly few) that explicitly say 4WD, and I'd want to confirm that were I booking.

    I had a BAD experience last year (and this is how I know about the RAV4 thing) where I had to get refunded and FIGHT Priceline.com through my credit card company, because I booked a "RAV4 or similar", leading me to believe that meant 4WD.

    My assumption wasnt crazy or irresponsible, because RAV4 literally stands for "Recreational Activity Vehicle: 4-wheel drive" <--- the underlined is straight from Toyota. BUT it turns out none of the RAV4 cars in the rental fleet are actually 4WD! When I politely asked Priceline.com to please cancel based on what I thought was either a very poorly worded product description at best, or a deceptive marketing practice at worst, they told me to pound sand and that they'd fight my credit card company to force me to pay! And they did! And there were rude to the point of "ha, ha, ha, you're screwed!" arrogance about it.

    Luckily I was savvy enough to screenshot their marketing info through each step of the purchasing process, as well as the online customer service chat with the Priceline underling, as well as the Priceline supervisor, but they actually took my credit card company to disputes! In the end, the credit card company sided with me based on my substantial evidence and I got my money back, but it took a few months and much frustration. Had I not the foresight to save all that stuff Priceline probably would have won and screwed me over as their "buy now and you get what you get" contract is pretty iron-clad.

    Moral of the story, I will never use Priceline.com again.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    That's sort of one of the points I was trying to make. There are some (though seemingly few) that explicitly say 4WD, and I'd want to confirm that were I booking.

    I had a BAD experience last year (and this is how I know about the RAV4 thing) where I had to get refunded and FIGHT Priceline.com through my credit card company, because I booked a "RAV4 or similar", leading me to believe that meant 4WD.

    My assumption wasnt crazy or irresponsible, because RAV4 literally stands for "Recreational Activity Vehicle: 4-wheel drive" <--- the underlined is straight from Toyota. BUT it turns out none of the RAV4 cars in the rental fleet are actually 4WD! When I politely asked Priceline.com to please cancel based on what I thought was either a very poorly worded product description at best, or a deceptive marketing practice at worst, they told me to pound sand and that they'd fight my credit card company to force me to pay! And they did! And there were rude to the point of "ha, ha, ha, you're screwed!" arrogance about it.

    Luckily I was savvy enough to screenshot their marketing info through each step of the purchasing process, as well as the online customer service chat with the Priceline underling, as well as the Priceline supervisor, but they actually took my credit card company to disputes! In the end, the credit card company sided with me based on my substantial evidence and I got my money back, but it took a few months and much frustration. Had I not the foresight to save all that stuff Priceline probably would have won and screwed me over as their "buy now and you get what you get" contract is pretty iron-clad.

    Moral of the story, I will never use Priceline.com again.
    Wow, that's some shitty customer service. Sorry to hear about that experience, it sounds miserable.
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    That's sort of one of the points I was trying to make. There are some (though seemingly few) that explicitly say 4WD, and I'd want to confirm that were I booking.

    I had a BAD experience last year (and this is how I know about the RAV4 thing) where I had to get refunded and FIGHT Priceline.com through my credit card company, because I booked a "RAV4 or similar", leading me to believe that meant 4WD.

    My assumption wasnt crazy or irresponsible, because RAV4 literally stands for "Recreational Activity Vehicle: 4-wheel drive" <--- the underlined is straight from Toyota. BUT it turns out none of the RAV4 cars in the rental fleet are actually 4WD!
    I'd agree that your assumption wasn't crazy. I always wondered who bought the non-4WD/AWD versions of these SUVs other than perhaps people that live down south. Now I know...rental agencies even in snowy areas.

    I also don't think the fault with the crappy/deceptive marketing is all priceline's fault as they're really just a middle-man. The rental agencies themselves seem to go out of the way to conveniently leave out that info. Hertz did list a couple SUV models specifically as 4WD/AWD so I would assume that means the others are 2WD based on experiences being shared here. Enterprise doesn't list any of their options as specifically having 4WD/AWD so who knows...you'd now have to assume they might be 2WD. No excuse for not having complete info online in today's digital world unless you specifically don't want people to know.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    Wow, that's some shitty customer service. Sorry to hear about that experience, it sounds miserable.
    Horrible. And I was pretty shocked, because I generally feel most companies over the last 20 years have really found Jesus when it comes to customer service. The case studies are endless demonstrating how important it is. And this wasn't just poor, it felt more like, "we GOT-cha!"

    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    No excuse for not having complete info online in today's digital world unless you specifically don't want people to know.
    That's my belief as well. Let the customer assume.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  5. #45
    truckin up to Montana in a Nissan versa. holla atcha boy
    ~the stars turn, and a time presents itself~

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    truckin up to Montana in a Nissan versa. holla atcha boy
    Haha oh boy! Best of luck!
    We didn't drive around much of Montana, but around Bozeman and Big Sky isn't really too bad as far as driving goes. It is relatively flat. Hopefully the road up to Big Sky isn't too snowy though, that could certainly cause issues in a FWD car.
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

  7. #47
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    5,728
    On another note some rental car companies don't allow you to go over some state lines.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    On another note some rental car companies don't allow you to go over some state lines.
    example ?

  9. #49
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    26,343
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    That's sort of one of the points I was trying to make. There are some (though seemingly few) that explicitly say 4WD, and I'd want to confirm that were I booking.

    I had a BAD experience last year (and this is how I know about the RAV4 thing) where I had to get refunded and FIGHT Priceline.com through my credit card company, because I booked a "RAV4 or similar", leading me to believe that meant 4WD.

    My assumption wasnt crazy or irresponsible, because RAV4 literally stands for "Recreational Activity Vehicle: 4-wheel drive" <--- the underlined is straight from Toyota. BUT it turns out none of the RAV4 cars in the rental fleet are actually 4WD! When I politely asked Priceline.com to please cancel based on what I thought was either a very poorly worded product description at best, or a deceptive marketing practice at worst, they told me to pound sand and that they'd fight my credit card company to force me to pay! And they did! And there were rude to the point of "ha, ha, ha, you're screwed!" arrogance about it.

    Luckily I was savvy enough to screenshot their marketing info through each step of the purchasing process, as well as the online customer service chat with the Priceline underling, as well as the Priceline supervisor, but they actually took my credit card company to disputes! In the end, the credit card company sided with me based on my substantial evidence and I got my money back, but it took a few months and much frustration. Had I not the foresight to save all that stuff Priceline probably would have won and screwed me over as their "buy now and you get what you get" contract is pretty iron-clad.

    Moral of the story, I will never use Priceline.com again.
    Wow. Good to know. I recently had an odd experience renting through Priceline where the rental agency wanted to charge me some ridiculous amount of money because I picked up my car a few minutes after I told Priceline I would. I was like, "WTF?"
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  10. #50
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    5,728
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    example ?
    I rented in Utah and they told me I could not go to Nevada. Can't remember which rental company but I had it happen other places also.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:37 AM.