driving from SLC to jackson? to big sky? - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    confirmation from big sky social media that Madison side opens 12/15. that effectively will double terrain the day I show up, and that stuff is all untouched snow pretty much as it hasn't opened yet for the season. not for lack of snow. for lack of people. great news.
    Hell yeah! I'm happy for you, but at the same time very jealous. We loved Big Sky last year and not sure if a trip is in the cards this season.
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

I went from despondent to stoked really fast. finally excited about this trip!
    ~the stars turn, and a time presents itself~

I'll be ..replacing a sink...

Lets go!
    I'll drive.

getting off work in 20 minutes and flying out to SLC tonight, getting the crappy car, and driving to big ski. 5.5 hours, 360 miles. there is SNOW IN THE FORECAST, and tomorrow could be a 5-10" powder day, and big sky will be opening up the Madison side for the first time. not gonna lie, i'm terrified of this drive, in the dark, in the snow, without 4wd. if i have to pull over and nap a bit in the car i will, but i'm really really hoping that isn't necessary

my supreme goggles came in the mail yesterday. they are not high end by any means, and they are OTG so theyre a little awkwardly large, but hot damn these are hypey as hell. will be fun to use for spring skiing. i could be an extra in a rap video.

s_59971cea78b31c4779024183.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    getting off work in 20 minutes and flying out to SLC tonight, getting the crappy car, and driving to big ski. 5.5 hours, 360 miles. there is SNOW IN THE FORECAST, and tomorrow could be a 5-10" powder day, and big sky will be opening up the Madison side for the first time. not gonna lie, i'm terrified of this drive, in the dark, in the snow, without 4wd. if i have to pull over and nap a bit in the car i will, but i'm really really hoping that isn't necessary

my supreme goggles came in the mail yesterday. they are not high end by any means, and they are OTG so theyre a little awkwardly large, but hot damn these are hypey as hell. will be fun to use for spring skiing. i could be an extra in a rap video.

s_59971cea78b31c4779024183.jpg
    That drive would worry me too in the dark without 4WD. Drive safe KTK and make us all jealous with lots of great photos.

The Madison area/side was fun. They have a nice 6-person chair over there and a good mix of all types of terrain. We also liked the parking at the Madison lodge area, you can park really close to the trail and lodge, no wasted time with a shuttle or a long walk with bags to the lodge. The Headwaters Double services some fun and pretty gnarly terrain in that bowl.
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

yup, i went to big sky with a big group of friends last march and we stayed in a sweet condo steps away from moonlight lodge. i am familiar with the terrain. the hike to stuff at headwaters is awesome. excited about the opening of madison side simply because it hasnt been open yet and fresh tracks should be ample. otherwise i prefer the headwaters, ramcharger, and tram terrain. stoked. but will pull over and wait it out if anything i'm doing seems too dangerous.

I think the blowing and drifting around 4 corners would be worse than the steady climb up the mountain. (Then again - SLOT MACHINES at 4 corners! Woooo.) Just watch that last climb up the mountain from 191. It is steep in a few places.

Big Sky is a fantastic place. Challenger Lift. Go for it!!!

Miss the last update yesterday. Hope he made it in one piece and not too exhausted to get up to enjoy the powder.

Thread Information