• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski travel plans?

Jcb890

Baby on the way in maybe less than a week -- first one for our family so I expect to focus less on skiing.

That said... have 8 total VT passes, unlimited 50% off at Pico & Killington and a few other passes and BOGOs, so I'll probably focus on hitting prime midweek days and making the most of a less intensive season.

As for travel, my parents live nearby and are already talking about doing a ski vacation this year and, at least my mom who doesn't ski, can watch the baby. This could mean a trip to Le Massif / Mont St Anne at some point.

And there is always the situation of sister and brother-in-law living near Lake Tahoe, but probably not this year.
Congrats!

We've got one on the way - due in May. That's why my wife doesn't want to take a vacation or any time off after the end of 2017... I'm hoping to convince her we need a week away before the baby comes.

bdfreetuna

Congrats!

We've got one on the way - due in May. That's why my wife doesn't want to take a vacation or any time off after the end of 2017... I'm hoping to convince her we need a week away before the baby comes.

Thanks and I hope everything with your wife's pregnancy goes smoothly. With my wife, she could have traveled (and has been) pretty much up 'till now where it could be labor any hour. Everyone's different, but she'll probably be physically able to enjoy herself especially if you spend some time with her besides going skiing while she waits in the lodge.

Best idea yet: Plan a ski vacation to make time to talk about plans for the baby. Double whammy. Don't doubt it could work!

BenedictGomez

Baby on the way in maybe less than a week -- first one for our family

Congratulations!

If you think I milked my wife for kudos on this forum, just wait for baby Julia...

I wish you named her Charlie.

SK_FeatureCard_Blank.jpg

Jcb890

Thanks and I hope everything with your wife's pregnancy goes smoothly. With my wife, she could have traveled (and has been) pretty much up 'till now where it could be labor any hour. Everyone's different, but she'll probably be physically able to enjoy herself especially if you spend some time with her besides going skiing while she waits in the lodge.

Best idea yet: Plan a ski vacation to make time to talk about plans for the baby. Double whammy. Don't doubt it could work!
Thanks Tuna! We shall see what happens.

xlr8r

Right now I am looking into doing a trip to Copper in February on my MAX Pass. Was originally thinking of going back to Steamboat for the 2nd time in 3 years, but now am leaning towards Copper.

Jcb890

Right now I am looking into doing a trip to Copper in February on my MAX Pass. Was originally thinking of going back to Steamboat for the 2nd time in 3 years, but now am leaning towards Copper.
Have you been to Copper? We had a blast last year. We stayed in Frisco and thought it was really nice. We all agreed that we would go back... that was the plan for Christmas week actually but then people dragged their feet so its not going to happen.

xlr8r

Have you been to Copper? We had a blast last year. We stayed in Frisco and thought it was really nice. We all agreed that we would go back... that was the plan for Christmas week actually but then people dragged their feet so its not going to happen.

No have never been to Copper. Went to Steamboat 2 years ago, Winter Park 3 years ago, and Vail/Beaver Creek about 10 years ago. How did you find staying in Frisco? Did you have a rental car or did you take the bus each day? I'm trying to weigh if staying slopeside is worth it as for the dates I am looking at it is only about $200 more to stay slopeside at Copper instead of Frisco for 5 nights.

crank

I have stayed in Frisco a few times but we were skiing a bunch of local hills including Copper. If solely skiing Copper and only $200 more, definitely stay there.

machski

Bachelor NH April Vaca week with Max since only vacas that Mrs. and I line up for. Maybe Big Sky of Big Cottonwood with Max NH Feb depending on my schedule. Otherwise, base at SR with NE Pass and ski around North East a bit on Max too.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

No have never been to Copper. Went to Steamboat 2 years ago, Winter Park 3 years ago, and Vail/Beaver Creek about 10 years ago. How did you find staying in Frisco? Did you have a rental car or did you take the bus each day? I'm trying to weigh if staying slopeside is worth it as for the dates I am looking at it is only about $200 more to stay slopeside at Copper instead of Frisco for 5 nights.
I don't think staying slopeside would be bad at all. We did really enjoy Frisco though, it was a very nice little town. Not a ton of nightlife, but there's a few good restaurants and lots of good shops. I forget how late things usually closed, but there's a few bars. Frisco is also about 15-20 minutes from Breckenridge and that's not a bad ride at all, so we drove into Breck a couple of evenings to do shopping and dinner.

We did a rental car. I would much rather be able to go where I want, when I want than deal with using the bus. I'm on vacation, I don't want to have to sit around waiting for the bus or be at the whim of the bus routes. The weather wasn't bad at all while we were there, so no driving issues at all. No traffic issues really either as we flew in late, but did hit some rush-hour Denver traffic on our return trip.

If you stay in Frisco, I highly recommend eating at The Lost Cajun for dinner and Butterhorn Bakery and Cafe for breakfast.