Times you've skied in sketch conditions - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Went out at Sunday River last March 5th. They have some of the best grooming around. I did two runs. We had freezing rain the night before and the perfect corduroy would not give you much of a grip. Saw kids screaming at their parents that they could NOT ski the stuff. My two runs barely raise a dust trail behind me as the cord was bulletproof! I've skied in the northeast since 1960. Saw a patrolman on my way back to my condo and asked him point blank why is this mountain even open? His reply was a classic. "It was not our decision"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    Ovation at Killington after any freeze-thaw is pretty gnarly. You fall, you slide.
    Did that once. Quite the yardsale. Long slide down! And impossible to go uphill to collect gear. Wish I had pictures.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dickc View Post
    Went out at Sunday River last March 5th. They have some of the best grooming around. I did two runs. We had freezing rain the night before and the perfect corduroy would not give you much of a grip. Saw kids screaming at their parents that they could NOT ski the stuff. My two runs barely raise a dust trail behind me as the cord was bulletproof! I've skied in the northeast since 1960. Saw a patrolman on my way back to my condo and asked him point blank why is this mountain even open? His reply was a classic. "It was not our decision"!!!!
    Might have been at Ragged that same day. Rolled in late at like noon and was confused why every trail had corduroy still. Didn't make a dent in the trails!

Ended up having some fun actually and skied until closing. I've skied many bulletproof days before, as we so have, but this one stands out as the craziest.

I have skied all over the world and I have to say that the worst ice conditions I have ever seen are at Hunter. There are so many times that you have to wornder why certain trails are even open, and why they opened that day at all or should have just waited until the sun did its magic.

I have never run into breakable crust at hunter, but that is no fun at all.

Hell I've walked out of 1/4 mile of breakable crust backside of Alta..It's one thing to get caught up in frozen cordon here..out yonder it gets truly ugly.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Quote Originally Posted by catskillman View Post
    I have skied all over the world and I have to say that the worst ice conditions I have ever seen are at Hunter. There are so many times that you have to wornder why certain trails are even open, and why they opened that day at all or should have just waited until the sun did its magic.

I have never run into breakable crust at hunter, but that is no fun at all.
    So you have never skied Whiteface or Windham?

Quote Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
    So you have never skied Whiteface or Windham?
    I have been to both. And have done my share of night skiing in NY and NJ. Still stand by my original statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickc View Post

This reminds me:

- At Jay with my daughters. Wind holds for everything except the lower mountain lifts and the Jet. Wind was blowing like crazy.....went up the Jet, down that Montrealer trail > Angie's Wiggle and the wind came up the trail so hard it actually blew my youngest daughter up the hill! She was I guess 8 at the time - maybe 9.... I had to push her to get her started down the hill.....

Never been so cold in such wind before in my life.

- Also at Jay a year or so ago, after a thaw/freeze, they got about 6-8 surprise inches, but of course there was wind. So the trees were fantastic, but the trails, particularly the high traffic intermediates were blown off and brutal. Skiing down Urlls to that Beaver glade.....yound kid and dad are barely surviving the trail.....they see the sign for Beaver Glade with the black diamond on it. The Dad grabs me by the shoulder in utter panic...."Excuse me, but is there a different way down from here?" He was terrified that they HAD to go into the trees....in his panic he didn't notice the trail made a right turn. What a bummer - you see all that snow falling, but it just didn't stick -and then to face the frozen trails....yuck.

I was at Stowe with a bunch of people from the SKIVT-L mailing list ages ago, and for some reason this crew had a tradition of everyone poaching a closed trail. Important thing to note: Sometimes when they close trails it's for a good reason. In this case Chin Clip was wall-to-wall solid ice moguls. Somehow we managed to scrape and bang our way down that thing without serious personal injury, but it wasn't pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by ceo View Post
    Important thing to note: Sometimes when they close trails it's for a good reason.
    I'm shocked! Who would have thought?

Thread Information