Whiteface Mountain Question - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Gore is a fun mountain and is fairly big. However, it is not set up for long to to bottom runs and can be, at first, confusing to negotiate. Stratton and Magic might be better in that regard.

form is a 4 letter word

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    gore has great glades. just a ton of marked tree skiing. it can be tons of fun when the conditions are right
    They would get my vote for, "Most underrated Eastern tree skiing". Best outside of northern Vermont anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by crank View Post
    Gore is a fun mountain and is fairly big. However, it is not set up for long to to bottom runs and can be, at first, confusing to negotiate.
    Yeah, the Gore trail map should be in the skiing dictionary next to, "pod skiing".
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

The "rap" on Gore are the flat spots, the short vert (max is about 1500) and I supposed the lack of nightlife. I could care less.

Gore is incredibly interesting. Definitely the best tree skiing in NY. I love North Creek (kind of my second home, so I am biased). I guess I am an old fart, I could care less about nightlife. I want to ski trees until I am exhausted, throw a log on the fire, have a beer and rest up for the next day.

As others such as Harvey have said, Gore has great tree skiing. I lived in NH and near Boston for a few years and skied Jay, MRG, Sugarbush, and Magic while I was there before moving back to CNY where I grew up and skied mainly Gore. In my mind, Gore has the best tree skiing outside of Jay and close to Magic in VT when the conditions are right.

In a low snow year Gore can be dicey, in a year like last winter it was pretty sweet. Even with the freeze thaws and February blowtorch, glades there skied great for a good chunk of the season.

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

This might to sound weird but the underlying rock at Gore is really smooth. Gore is definitely "snow challenged" but it doesn't take that much snow to make the Gore trees skiable.

Also odd, IMO the low elevation tree skiing was where it was at last year. There were days when I never went beyond the ski bowl and burnt ridge.

Hi Kleetus!

Wish you guys would keep the trees at Gore issue under the table.

Next thing you know there will be all kinds of skiers travelling to NY to ski (even though they would rather die than admit that here).

I have as much to lose as anyone I suppose, as a passholder. I always figured that there was no harm in saying the tree skiing is good at Gore or wherever. IMO posting about off the map entrances is something else. Somewhere in between is actually showing people where entrances are, which I have done on occasion, and has been done for me often.

As mod I'll respect your wishes, no more Gore tree skiing from me.

Stupid question, but does anyone know why a bunch of lift towers are located over on the Barton Mine landing strip on the backside of Gore? Just seems odd that they would store them offsite.

Those are the towers from the old Adirondack Express. I believe the plan is to use them on the Dark Side when they replace the High Peaks chair. I didn't know you could see them, from where are they visible?

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Those are the towers from the old Adirondack Express. I believe the plan is to use them on the Dark Side when they replace the High Peaks chair. I didn't know you could see them, from where are they visible?
    Google aerials. Thanks for the info.

Thread Information