• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whiteface Mountain Question

crank

Gore is a fun mountain and is fairly big. However, it is not set up for long to to bottom runs and can be, at first, confusing to negotiate. Stratton and Magic might be better in that regard.

BenedictGomez

gore has great glades. just a ton of marked tree skiing. it can be tons of fun when the conditions are right

They would get my vote for, "Most underrated Eastern tree skiing". Best outside of northern Vermont anyway.

Gore is a fun mountain and is fairly big. However, it is not set up for long to to bottom runs and can be, at first, confusing to negotiate.

Yeah, the Gore trail map should be in the skiing dictionary next to, "pod skiing".

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
The "rap" on Gore are the flat spots, the short vert (max is about 1500) and I supposed the lack of nightlife. I could care less.

Gore is incredibly interesting. Definitely the best tree skiing in NY. I love North Creek (kind of my second home, so I am biased). I guess I am an old fart, I could care less about nightlife. I want to ski trees until I am exhausted, throw a log on the fire, have a beer and rest up for the next day.

Kleetus

As others such as Harvey have said, Gore has great tree skiing. I lived in NH and near Boston for a few years and skied Jay, MRG, Sugarbush, and Magic while I was there before moving back to CNY where I grew up and skied mainly Gore. In my mind, Gore has the best tree skiing outside of Jay and close to Magic in VT when the conditions are right.

In a low snow year Gore can be dicey, in a year like last winter it was pretty sweet. Even with the freeze thaws and February blowtorch, glades there skied great for a good chunk of the season.

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
This might to sound weird but the underlying rock at Gore is really smooth. Gore is definitely "snow challenged" but it doesn't take that much snow to make the Gore trees skiable.

Also odd, IMO the low elevation tree skiing was where it was at last year. There were days when I never went beyond the ski bowl and burnt ridge.

Hi Kleetus!

JimG.

Staff member
Wish you guys would keep the trees at Gore issue under the table.

Next thing you know there will be all kinds of skiers travelling to NY to ski (even though they would rather die than admit that here).

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I have as much to lose as anyone I suppose, as a passholder. I always figured that there was no harm in saying the tree skiing is good at Gore or wherever. IMO posting about off the map entrances is something else. Somewhere in between is actually showing people where entrances are, which I have done on occasion, and has been done for me often.

As mod I'll respect your wishes, no more Gore tree skiing from me.

mbedle

Stupid question, but does anyone know why a bunch of lift towers are located over on the Barton Mine landing strip on the backside of Gore? Just seems odd that they would store them offsite.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Those are the towers from the old Adirondack Express. I believe the plan is to use them on the Dark Side when they replace the High Peaks chair. I didn't know you could see them, from where are they visible?

mbedle

Those are the towers from the old Adirondack Express. I believe the plan is to use them on the Dark Side when they replace the High Peaks chair. I didn't know you could see them, from where are they visible?

Google aerials. Thanks for the info.

Warp Daddy

Ok i live 90 min from Da Face ."......

so heres the drill: March Not your earlier date. Sharpen your edges , from Pa better bring a decent balaclava with your helmet and hand warmers and your warm gear they don't call it Iceface for nothing ?!

Id suggest a decent shell and a puffy ( if warm use a vest under the shell, Winds can be tougher than you might be used to . Long runs Serious vert all in play ., great scenery and vibe ...did i say great scenery . LAke Placid is world class , u will love the vibe . JImmys is awesome for a great dinner , also some other cool spots LP Brew Pub, Lisa G's , High Peaks resort has a decent bar n bar food thing too if your flush try Mirror Lake Inn ? Have phun

"OurParking lots are like other places BLUES " �������� that IS the marketing schlock , place looks a bit scary from the lots for flatlanders , but as CH said just ski it there are some runs that are doable for beginners , Mixing Bowl area , Bear LIft area on the main slope and The old Kids Kingdom campus now called Bear Den Lodge