• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whiteface Mountain Question

teej89

Hey guys!

New here and I am looking at taking my girlfriend to whiteface and getting it for her for a surprise christmas present. I have never been there but always wanted to go, however the predicament we're in is that we cant go in February and our only options are 12/30-1/1 or 3/2-3/4.

I really wanna go over new years just because it's closer lol and i feel conditions may be a little better, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm from PA and conditions go south around march. However.... I feel the crowds are going to be OBNOXIOUS around that time with new years and it's not going to be as enjoyable on the slopes or walking around the town.

March seems great because low crowds and we can walk around the towns and see things when we're not on the slopes however I'm concerned the conditions are going to get a little wet come march.

Looking for some opinions of people that have been there, thanks in advance guys!!!

ironhippy

What is your definition of "good conditions"?
You say in PA things go "south" in March, what do you mean by that?

Either way, it'll be gamble unless you wait until a week or two before to decide, either time could have a bunch of new snow or a freeze after a rainy thaw.

BenedictGomez

One does not "plan" a ski trip to Whiteface, one only goes to Whiteface if the conditions are good.

That said, if you have to pick one of those two options, the early March slot is likely to be much better, as Whiteface will have laid down 100% of its' snowmaking by then, as well as the fact that (hopefully) winter will have done its' thing by then and be in near peak winter form.

If the conditions arent great, on the bright side Lake Placid is the best ski town east of the Mississippi, and you'll have lots of shopping, dining, drinking, other outdoor activities either within walking distance or a very short car ride away.

mbedle

You will be fine going in March. Over the last 5 years they have had between 61 and 89 trails open between March 1st and March 14th. Doing that same timeframe, they had significantly less trails open at the end of December. What kind of skiers are both of you? Try to remember that weather conditions are significantly colder up at Whiteface, compared to what we see in PA in March.

cdskier

I've never heard someone say they think conditions would be better the beginning of January than they would be in the beginning of March. March is typically when you have some of the best conditions of the season in the northeast (excluding the Poconos which are winding down by that time...but for everywhere north of that, March is usually the better choice than December/early Jan).

Perhaps we should take a step back. Where have you been outside of PA? What made you decide to choose Whiteface?

teej89

Alright so background on me and my riding, I'm from a rural area and all we had was a hodunk resort with maybe a dozen trails or we'd go to 7 springs, holiday valley (in NY) or snowshoe WV. So this is basically my first big mountain get away minus I've done Okemo and Stowe a couple times in january.

Sounds like march is going to be the better date! I just get nervous because we don't deal with big mountains up here and things start to thaw out around that time and get slushy then turns to ice due to cold temps overnight.

bdfreetuna

Make sure your skis are sharpened... Even when Whiteface is on the icy side it can still be a fun mountain due to the number of long groomers, some are steep.

Might be a good opportunity to work on short radius turns and pole plants!

Like everyone else said, go in March, it could very well be peak conditions of the season.

You chose wisely with Whiteface / Lake Placid for a romantic ski getaway. Nice town to walk around in at night.

jimk

Early March should be just about primo time for Whiteface, and if you have to commit in advance a much better bet than late December. Weatherwise, there is a small chance of slush, but generally early Mar at Whiteface will be like mid-January in PA. You actually don't want to be at Whiteface during the coldest time of winter because it can be HARSH. Here's a report from a good visit I had to Whiteface in late March 2014, it's a serious mountain: http://www.dcski.com/forum/81908

Cornhead

Make sure to check Canadian holidays, I was there once on a weekday and it was mobbed. On the gondola I commented on how crowded it was, someone said didn't you know it's insert obscure Canadian holiday here? Why no, I didn't. If I were going to Jay I'd have checked, but it didn't occur to me Whiteface is close enough to the border to draw Canadian crowds, it is.

If it's a clear day when you go, don't freak out at the view from the parking lot. It looks like the friggin Matterhorn, but it isn't too bad. The steeps are very long. When I return to Greek after skiing there the whole hill feels like a bunny slope, enjoy!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

MikeD

I think Ontario is off the week of St Pat's and they definitely go to Whiteface...I have gone several times in March and never been disappointed..Lake Placid is worth the trip..just the drive in from the northway is pretty impressive..the steeps are intimidating and long..great long cruisers that never seem too crowded..big step up from the poconos but well worth it..enjoy (in March)

urungus

Go in March.

Ontario Public Holidays 2018:
Date Week Day Holiday
January – 01 Monday New Year’s Day
February – 19 Monday Family Day
March – 30 Friday Good Friday
May – 21 Monday Victoria Day
July – 02 Monday Canada Day (Observed)
September – 03 Monday Labor Day
October – 8 Monday Thanksgiving Day
December – 25 Tuesday Christmas
December – 26 Wednesday Boxing Day

Snow pack - Early March = 100%, New Years = 25-35%
Crowds - Early March = Average, New Years = Don't get me started.....
Daylight - Early March = 5:30 PM sunset, New Years = 4:20 PM
Cost - Early March = Average pricing, New Years = Holiday pricing
Temps - Early March = Usually quite comfortable, New Years = Cold, cold, cold

Almost every trip I've planned out west ( I know you're talking NE, but same applies) has been late Feb/Early March for most of the same reasons listed above.

Whenever you decide though, have fun!!

bdfreetuna

I was speaking to a client on the phone yesterday who mentioned she was going up to Smuggler's Notch (from Pennsylvania) for a vacation in early December.

Audible cringe reaction on my part.

I was speaking to a client on the phone yesterday who mentioned she was going up to Smuggler's Notch (from Pennsylvania) for a vacation in early December.

Audible cringe reaction on my part.

Yeah that's a tough time, barring something really unusual weather wise. I love Smuggs, hit it a couple of times per year, but it's always when the majority of the mountain and glades are open. Early season means very limited terrain and scratch conditions, but perhaps she'll get lucky.

Madonna is still one of the top 5 mountains and lifts in the east!

KustyTheKlown

Yeah that's a tough time, barring something really unusual weather wise. I love Smuggs, hit it a couple of times per year, but it's always when the majority of the mountain and glades are open. Early season means very limited terrain and scratch conditions, but perhaps she'll get lucky.

Madonna is still one of the top 5 mountains and lifts in the east!

hmmm, interesting.

in no particular order:
- single chair MRG
- tram Jay
- red Magic
- madonna Smuggs
- forerunner Stowe

leaves a lot on the table tho. honorable mentions include:
- castlerock Sugarbush
- k1 Killington
- tram Cannon
- summit Whiteface
- timberline Sugarloaf

deadheadskier

Staff member
hmmm, interesting.

in no particular order:
- single chair MRG
- tram Jay
- red Magic
- madonna Smuggs
- forerunner Stowe

leaves a lot on the table tho. honorable mentions include:
- castlerock Sugarbush
- k1 Killington
- tram Cannon
- summit Whiteface
- timberline Sugarloaf
Never skied Wildcat I take it?

2100 vert in 7 minutes, no terrain runnout and you can lap every inch of the mountain off of it.

Definitely one of the five best lifts in New England IMO. Maybe the best when you factor in average lift lines of about five minutes on mid winter Saturdays

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app