Worth going to Cannon tomorrow (Sat) ?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Worth going to Cannon tomorrow (Sat) ?

I'm contemplating driving up to Cannon tomorrow (Sat, 12/2). They have it opened from the top - Tramway, Upper Cannon so getting the experience of skiing the full vertical is possible, but the coverage is limited. I'm not sure how busy it gets early in the season. With limited trails, it can get crowded. I expect that the snow conditions will be, well, OK.
    Any thoughts from Cannon skiers/rides who can venture a guess as to how busy it may get?

Live for today

probably not so busy. next weekend everyone will get busier with natural snow in the forecast. you should go. skiing is better than not skiing.
    ~the stars turn, and a time presents itself~

Too far for me to drive for a few icy trails. Why not hit a closer hill to break in your early season legs?
    2017/2018: Baby Julia born 12/3/2017!
    [Killington: 12/15] [Mount Snow: 11/27]

2016/2017: * = powder day
    [Berkshire East: 1/16, 2/10] [Bolton Valley: 1/1, 2/5*, 2/19] [Burke: 12/17*, 1/28*] [Heavenly: 3/5*, 3/11] [Jay Peak: 1/29*, 4/9] [Jiminy Peak: 11/26] [Killington: 12/4, 12/10, 4/8*, 4/15] [Kirkwood: 3/8] [Mad River Glen: 2/25] [Magic: 2/13*] [Mt Rose: 3/7*] [Mount Snow: 4/3] [Northstar: 4/10] [Okemo: 11/23] [Pico: 1/7*, 2/18, 3/19] [Smuggler’s Notch: 1/22] [Stratton: 2/4] [Stowe: 1/21] [Sugarbush: 1/2] [Telluride: 3/27, 3/28*] [Whiteface: 2/12]

Go!
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

Stowe has very good conditions. I'm heading up tomorrow.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

• Base: 33°F
    • Summit: 24°F
    • Trails Open: 31
    • Lifts Open: 1
    • Lifts On Hold: 0
    • Lifts Scheduled: 5
    • Surface: Machine Groomed
    • Variable Conditions

View the Mt. Mansfield forecast from the National Weather Service »

• Snowfall (Base – Summit)
    • Last 24 Hours: 0 - 2"
    • Last 72 Hours: 1 - 3"
    • Last 7 Days: 11 - 18"
    • Season Total: 37"

This is a projected report. For the latest snow conditions and information go to Stowe Livetime.

• Average Base Depths
    • Snowmaking: 12" - 36"
    • Natural Snow: 4" - 8"
    • Mt. Mansfield Stake: 17"

Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Too far for me to drive for a few icy trails. Why not hit a closer hill to break in your early season legs?
    Yeah, got me thinking. I'm in Boston, my drive time to Cannon is about 3h. My legs at this point would last for maybe 3 hours
    I may hit Sunapee or for that matter, the woods near me are fairly dry (Blue Hills - no driving). I'll score a good MTB session instead.
    Live for today

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpsis View Post
    I may hit Sunapee or for that matter, the woods near me are fairly dry (Blue Hills - no driving). I'll score a good MTB session instead.
    I hit Sunapee for the first time yesterday. Tried it because of the Max Pass. Conditions we’re springlike. 2 HSQs running and 3 separate routes down. I’m anxious to hit it again with more coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpsis View Post
    I'm contemplating driving up to Cannon tomorrow (Sat, 12/2). They have it opened from the top - Tramway, Upper Cannon so getting the experience of skiing the full vertical is possible, but the coverage is limited. I'm not sure how busy it gets early in the season. With limited trails, it can get crowded. I expect that the snow conditions will be, well, OK.
    Any thoughts from Cannon skiers/rides who can venture a guess as to how busy it may get?
    I hit Cannon up last Tuesday (11/2 and it was very well worth it. Extremely quiet for a 2 for 1 day... less than 25% of the crowd they usually get easily with most chairs going up empty. Very limited amount of ice... only areas of ice that developed were areas that were hard hit by wind during the day that were fine earlier on. Other than that, the snow was a little stiff in the Zoomer area as that was their first day.

Can't complain as Cannon now offers one of the very few deals that allow you to ski cheap by buying your ticket via the window.

I hope you made it. I went yesterday. Despite the food drive bringing the ticket price down to $27, it wasn't very crowded at all. Quite a bit of terrain open to spread people out. There wasn't a single lift line all day. Snow conditions were typical early season man made snow. Lots of hardpack and granular in places, but plenty of fun. Upper mountain skied better than lower.

Also, 3 hours from Boston? You must live in a neighborhood that's difficult to get to the highway. On a weekend with no commuter traffic, Cannon is 2 hours tops from Boston. Google maps lists 2 hours and 7 minutes and their estimates are always conservative.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information