• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Worth going to Cannon tomorrow (Sat) ?

Bumpsis

I'm contemplating driving up to Cannon tomorrow (Sat, 12/2). They have it opened from the top - Tramway, Upper Cannon so getting the experience of skiing the full vertical is possible, but the coverage is limited. I'm not sure how busy it gets early in the season. With limited trails, it can get crowded. I expect that the snow conditions will be, well, OK.
Any thoughts from Cannon skiers/rides who can venture a guess as to how busy it may get?

KustyTheKlown

probably not so busy. next weekend everyone will get busier with natural snow in the forecast. you should go. skiing is better than not skiing.

bdfreetuna

Too far for me to drive for a few icy trails. Why not hit a closer hill to break in your early season legs?

kingslug

[FONT=&quot]
  • Base: 33°F
  • Summit: 24°F
  • Trails Open: 31
  • Lifts Open: 1
  • Lifts On Hold: 0
  • Lifts Scheduled: 5
  • Surface: Machine Groomed
  • Variable Conditions
View the Mt. Mansfield forecast from the National Weather Service »
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
  • Snowfall (Base – Summit)
  • Last 24 Hours: 0 - 2"
  • Last 72 Hours: 1 - 3"
  • Last 7 Days: 11 - 18"
  • Season Total: 37"
This is a projected report. For the latest snow conditions and information go to Stowe Livetime.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
  • Average Base Depths
  • Snowmaking: 12" - 36"
  • Natural Snow: 4" - 8"
  • Mt. Mansfield Stake: 17"
[/FONT]

Bumpsis

Too far for me to drive for a few icy trails. Why not hit a closer hill to break in your early season legs?

Yeah, got me thinking. I'm in Boston, my drive time to Cannon is about 3h. My legs at this point would last for maybe 3 hours :(
I may hit Sunapee or for that matter, the woods near me are fairly dry (Blue Hills - no driving). I'll score a good MTB session instead.

Edd

I may hit Sunapee or for that matter, the woods near me are fairly dry (Blue Hills - no driving). I'll score a good MTB session instead.

I hit Sunapee for the first time yesterday. Tried it because of the Max Pass. Conditions we’re springlike. 2 HSQs running and 3 separate routes down. I’m anxious to hit it again with more coverage.

mlkrgr

I'm contemplating driving up to Cannon tomorrow (Sat, 12/2). They have it opened from the top - Tramway, Upper Cannon so getting the experience of skiing the full vertical is possible, but the coverage is limited. I'm not sure how busy it gets early in the season. With limited trails, it can get crowded. I expect that the snow conditions will be, well, OK.
Any thoughts from Cannon skiers/rides who can venture a guess as to how busy it may get?

I hit Cannon up last Tuesday (11/28) and it was very well worth it. Extremely quiet for a 2 for 1 day... less than 25% of the crowd they usually get easily with most chairs going up empty. Very limited amount of ice... only areas of ice that developed were areas that were hard hit by wind during the day that were fine earlier on. Other than that, the snow was a little stiff in the Zoomer area as that was their first day.

Can't complain as Cannon now offers one of the very few deals that allow you to ski cheap by buying your ticket via the window.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I hope you made it. I went yesterday. Despite the food drive bringing the ticket price down to $27, it wasn't very crowded at all. Quite a bit of terrain open to spread people out. There wasn't a single lift line all day. Snow conditions were typical early season man made snow. Lots of hardpack and granular in places, but plenty of fun. Upper mountain skied better than lower.

Also, 3 hours from Boston? You must live in a neighborhood that's difficult to get to the highway. On a weekend with no commuter traffic, Cannon is 2 hours tops from Boston. Google maps lists 2 hours and 7 minutes and their estimates are always conservative.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Bumpsis

I hope you made it. I went yesterday. Despite the food drive bringing the ticket price down to $27, it wasn't very crowded at all. Quite a bit of terrain open to spread people out. There wasn't a single lift line all day. Snow conditions were typical early season man made snow. Lots of hardpack and granular in places, but plenty of fun. Upper mountain skied better than lower.

Also, 3 hours from Boston? You must live in a neighborhood that's difficult to get to the highway. On a weekend with no commuter traffic, Cannon is 2 hours tops from Boston. Google maps lists 2 hours and 7 minutes and their estimates are always conservative.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thanks for the report on conditions and the non-crowds. I did not go. Well, too bad, it would have been nice to burn up my quads. Whatever I try in terms of conditioning, nothing comes even close to actually skiing.

As to the distance to my favorite NH ski mountain, it's 152 miles for me. I live in Hyde Park/Milton border. Google Maps puts it at 2h 29 minutes but since there is always traffic on South East Expressway, the actual trip time is closer to 3 hours or me. So 6 hours of driving per day trip - it's a factor.