jay/k, river/loon, tremblant/whiteface

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

jay/k, river/loon, tremblant/whiteface

i was planning on yesterday getting some snow on the back end. bah!

i have friday off. a buddy is driving (yay for sparing my car the miles). and we can leave after work tomorrow

considering jay friday>k Saturday>okemo sunday. but i don't think jay will be worth it unless they open tramside and upper mountain lifts, which seems more questionable after yesterdays soak and today's freeze

considering tremblant fri/sat>whiteface sunday. so our final drive isn't 7 hours long. tremblant also took it on the chin yesterday, but open snow seems to indicate steady light snow thru the weekend. whiteface could catch the far eastern fringe of the lake effect snow.

considering sunday river>loon>maybe okemo (to shorten final drive). i think this may be the best bet. river is generally a little out of my driving orbit, but we have time. and i think river, loon, and okemo may put the best product out due to their grooming and snowmaking abilities.

where would y'all go?
    ~the stars turn, and a time presents itself~

Nowhere. I would go nowhere.
    form is a 4 letter word

I'd go next Wednesday...

I am also skiing Friday. Mount Snow or Okemo for me.
    2017-2018 3 Days and counting...
    Mount Snow: 11/12 Stratton: 11/22 Killington: 12/1
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Snowmaking firepower is indeed what you're looking for. Sunday River is resurfacing open terrain and then pushing to new terrain over the weekend. I'm willing to bet the conditions there will be as good as they've been, if not the best, of the season thus far. A Friday play there will have current conditions skiing nicely, Saturday might have new terrain.

Not sure what Okemo or Loon's plan for resurfacing terrain is, but they're both solid options. I might choose those options over Tremblant and Whiteface.

yea im leaning towards river and loon. what a bummer yesterday was, and waking up this mornign to confirm yesterdays utter shit.
    ~the stars turn, and a time presents itself~

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Snowmaking firepower is indeed what you're looking for.
    Agree. There's little grooming magic to be had after a rain-freeze. Okemo runs the same tillers everyone else does, the rest is marketing. You can either ski gravel on concrete or fresh machine made. For me, the gravel/concrete is a break from the guns and reinforcement on why skiing the guns is worth it.

Sounds like a lot of driving for what will be pretty similar conditions (man made snow and groomed after a thaw) everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by boston_e View Post
    Sounds like a lot of driving for what will be pretty similar conditions (man made snow and groomed after a thaw) everywhere.
    He religious follows his Max Pass... I have the same thing but will spend the $$ on day tickets if snow is better at mountain A than mountain B.

And ditto on not driving crazy conditions for the same product everywhere. The southern VT giants, K, Loon, and SR are all gonna have the best snow purely because they have the biggest snowmaking systems. Driving 7 hours to Tremblant is hardcore...but no reason to.
    2017-2018 3 Days and counting...
    Mount Snow: 11/12 Stratton: 11/22 Killington: 12/1
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

I don't envy your choices.

I would stick to K and save the gas.

Hm.

If Tremblant go rain, I would not make the long drive to ski frozen granular and drink Rickards. Let's rule that one out.

Jay claimed they got 1-2" last night. And you never know with them....could get a surprise couple inches almost any time. Plus, good beer abounds up that way.

I think I would head that way, make the call tomorrow morning - if Jay opens Timbuktu and Hells woods, ski there, if not, Stowe? You'll get twice the vertical, and you can't beat the Matterhorn.....Matterhorn bowl and a beer.....then score a case of Heady Topper on your way out of town?

I've never been to Sunday River, but have been to Sugar Loaf, and man, Maine is far.....

I would head to northern VT and hope for the Jay cloud.

Thread Information