• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sad Day in Burke History

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Seems odd that the snow report still shows that chair as 1of 6 lifts open on the conditions page even though it shows its status as "out of operation".

I think the Willoughby coming down was a bit of a last minute decision. I'm sure the website will get updated at some point. I would think "1 of 5" lifts looks better on the report than "1 of 6". This year they will actually be able to hit 100% of lifts open once the Willoughby quad is removed from the lift total.

VTKilarney

While I am nostalgic, I'm actually not sad to see the lift go. It was INSANELY annoying to see the lift sitting idle while the Mid-Burke Express was down for mechanical reasons. If they were truly not going to use it, best to remove it.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Maybe meaning it would look better during the season to have it say 5 of 5 lifts open and not 5 of 6 lifts.

Yes, this is what I was getting at.

While I am nostalgic, I'm actually not sad to see the lift go. It was INSANELY annoying to see the lift sitting idle while the Mid-Burke Express was down for mechanical reasons. If they were truly not going to use it, best to remove it.

Agreed. And if they plan to eventually reuse it in East Bowl or sell it, they might as well get it down and minimize weathering to preserve some of its value.

bdfreetuna

I got a pair of Burke passes waiting to be used this season.

Looks like that last storm helped them out big time. I'll wait a few more weeks for the woods to fill in.

Nice straight drive up 91 for me. By nice I mean boring. Load up 3 albums and by the time it's done you're there.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I got a pair of Burke passes waiting to be used this season.

Looks like that last storm helped them out big time. I'll wait a few more weeks for the woods to fill in.

Nice straight drive up 91 for me. By nice I mean boring. Load up 3 albums and by the time it's done you're there.

Well, if history plays any role, I'd say get up there soon. In my life I can remember only a couple winters where we did not have a melt down right before Christmas. Maybe this is like 2007-2008 in that there was no meltdown and Christmas was AWESOME.

bdfreetuna

We're all hoping for zero thaws this season, but hopefully Burke will be on track for all-open trees for early January or sooner.

Otherwise I might as well go to a lot closer places.

KustyTheKlown

single chair weather blog is hinting at a xmas thaw, but i am not seeing it yet. the gfs shows a brief period of r**n on 12/20, with snow on the backside, and then again on the 23rd and again with backside snow, and then only snow thru new years eve. let's hope it holds!

by the way, very user friendly GFS access here - https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

SIKSKIER

It rains or thaws heavy almost every x-mas week.I know some have to take it off with the kids but its the last week I'd ever do along with pre x-mas.

Glenn

Seems like there's always a late December or New Years thaw. In SoVT...the snow usually starts to stay on the ground from mid January on.