• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter sat 12-9

catskillman

Oh....its going to be a zoo this weekend. Glad I'll be up north, during the week.

What a mess today. They have made an insane amount of snow - BUT is has been in enormous wales for days. Dangerous with the crowds.

They have certainely embraced the frigid weather for snow making !!!!!!!! I usually enjoy the wales, fun to ski, bu these are dropoffs. Spoke to many folks and they are down 42 employees, and have noone to groom, and not enough lift operators to open all the lifts. Great that they are honest, but my gosh.

Ironically they had an SOS race yesterday. Safety on Snow!

dhmcgill87

I reluctantly went to Hunter on the 26th bracing for insane crowds, but I didn't wait more than 2 minutes for the flyer all day. Conditions were beautiful too - no scratchy no ice anywhere. One of the best days I've had there in awhile.

Thinking of heading up on new years day. Any thoughts on the crowds? I am hoping the holiday crowd has thinned out. Single digit temps should help too!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
What a mess today. They have made an insane amount of snow - BUT is has been in enormous wales for days. Dangerous with the crowds.

They have certainely embraced the frigid weather for snow making !!!!!!!! I usually enjoy the wales, fun to ski, bu these are dropoffs. Spoke to many folks and they are down 42 employees, and have noone to groom, and not enough lift operators to open all the lifts. Great that they are honest, but my gosh.

Ironically they had an SOS race yesterday. Safety on Snow!

I was there Wednesday when they opened lower K...those whales really made the entrances at the top interesting. While I wish it was always that way I agree it is dangerous with crowds of skiers.

keyser soze

I reluctantly went to Hunter on the 26th bracing for insane crowds, but I didn't wait more than 2 minutes for the flyer all day. Conditions were beautiful too - no scratchy no ice anywhere. One of the best days I've had there in awhile.

Thinking of heading up on new years day. Any thoughts on the crowds? I am hoping the holiday crowd has thinned out. Single digit temps should help too!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I've been going up NYD the last few years and crowds have been minimal due to end of Christmas week and people still there are generally nursing hangovers. Cold temps tomorrow should make for even fewer on the hill. I won't be making it up myself though.

catskillman

I was there Wednesday when they opened lower K...those whales really made the entrances at the top interesting. While I wish it was always that way I agree it is dangerous with crowds of skiers.

did you ski Annapurna yesterday?? OMG ! While I am thrilled it is open, I will not go down that again until they groom i the wales out. Yes - groomed. Cannot believe I am saying that.

The Cliff was a mess yesterday also.

In the old days David would get in a groomer and take care of things if they did not have the help. They need to up the $$ or something to get some workers out there!!!

Minimum wage went u[ in NYS today, but the mtn needs to pay even more for these jobs to get the right folks to do them. I have been skiing here forever, and will, but seriously............

JimG.

Staff member
did you ski Annapurna yesterday?? OMG ! While I am thrilled it is open, I will not go down that again until they groom i the wales out. Yes - groomed. Cannot believe I am saying that.

The Cliff was a mess yesterday also.

In the old days David would get in a groomer and take care of things if they did not have the help. They need to up the $$ or something to get some workers out there!!!

Minimum wage went u[ in NYS today, but the mtn needs to pay even more for these jobs to get the right folks to do them. I have been skiing here forever, and will, but seriously............

I was at Belleayre yesterday.

Hit Hunter today it was a ghost town and the mountain obviously went to skeleton staffing as a lot of the lifts were closed. No west side at all.

Way to bail out on folks who did make the trip and wanted to ski.

catskillman

I was at Belleayre yesterday.

Hit Hunter today it was a ghost town and the mountain obviously went to skeleton staffing as a lot of the lifts were closed. No west side at all.

Way to bail out on folks who did make the trip and wanted to ski.

Agreed!!!! Holiday pay is expensive............. Cancelled the torchlight due to the weather so that cut down on beer sales....

Weather was frigid, could only make 2 runs before having to go in and warm up.

kingslug

The west side was a bit sporty..as in 1 and done for each run. Top of Clairs was downright scary. Annapurna was..weird but more fun.
If there was snow on the cut across from Wayout, that would have been better as Clairs was good in the middle.

JimG.

Staff member
The west side was a bit sporty..as in 1 and done for each run. Top of Clairs was downright scary. Annapurna was..weird but more fun.
If there was snow on the cut across from Wayout, that would have been better as Clairs was good in the middle.

Seems that the west side and most lifts other than 6 pack and B lift were closed Sunday too. Not counting Hunter One terrain.

I also heard rumors that a safety consulting firm was engaged to look at Hunter and devise methods to improve safety. Number one recommendation was to leave expert terrain bumped up. Some consultant made a nice payday making an obvious recommendation many others including myself have been saying for years.

I fully expect Hunter to ignore that recommendation.

JimG.

Staff member
And today the west side is open again. After bailing out on the holiday customers the past 2 days.

Guess they cater to the college crowd now with all the cheap college deals. Glad I dumped my Peaks pass.

catskillman

And today the west side is open again. After bailing out on the holiday customers the past 2 days.

Guess they cater to the college crowd now with all the cheap college deals. Glad I dumped my Peaks pass.

I avoid college week - I was once a college student myself, however these kids are of another kind.

They get on the lifts with beer and are not stopped. I am not talking about 1 or 2... And depending which way the wind blows you can get high on the lifts.

They have not run E lift lift on the weekends because they do not have the staff. The ski instructors are livid about this as it takes away the only real blue teaching terrain. Kennedy is to crowed on the weekends, which leaves Madison which is too short and they spend all the time reading that painfully slow B lift.

They do need a safety someone. The parade of ambulances this season has been unreal. They have had to get them from Windham multiple times as they ran out....

The did have a Safety on Slopes race last weekend. I think I mentioned it but it seems odd to have a race for safety. This closed down Milkey Way, a black slope on A weekend day.. What are they thinking? OR who is thinking.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I avoid college week - I was once a college student myself, however these kids are of another kind.

They get on the lifts with beer and are not stopped. I am not talking about 1 or 2... And depending which way the wind blows you can get high on the lifts.

They have not run E lift lift on the weekends because they do not have the staff. The ski instructors are livid about this as it takes away the only real blue teaching terrain. Kennedy is to crowed on the weekends, which leaves Madison which is too short and they spend all the time reading that painfully slow B lift.

They do need a safety someone. The parade of ambulances this season has been unreal. They have had to get them from Windham multiple times as they ran out....

The did have a Safety on Slopes race last weekend. I think I mentioned it but it seems odd to have a race for safety. This closed down Milkey Way, a black slope on A weekend day.. What are they thinking? OR who is thinking.

E lift was running this past weekend. It was not open before, since the trails were not open.

benski

As a junior in college I can say many colleges have less day drinking on a given Saturday than Hunter. Hunter attracts the least responsibility demographic in NYC. 40 people a day get injured there according to my friend who is a ski patroller there. Each one has beer cans in his/her jacket.

JimG.

Staff member
As a junior in college I can say many colleges have less day drinking on a given Saturday than Hunter. Hunter attracts the least responsibility demographic in NYC. 40 people a day get injured there according to my friend who is a ski patroller there. Each one has beer cans in his/her jacket.

Well, to be fair I must admit there are plenty of adults with beer stashed in their jackets skiing at Hunter. I followed a beer can trail (all unopened) down Wayout once, led to a 45 something guy standing next to a beer can. D'oh! Kind of reinforces your comment about demographics.