• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New book - Snow Guns Before Sunrise: A Peek Behind the Veil of Ski Resort Operations

jimk

Patrick, good luck with your new opportunities and let us know how it goes and whether we can help in the future. I was in Avon for a week of skiing last February and thought about making a trip over to Cooper so I could do a story about the place for EpicSki, but my wife was with me and we were busy and I never made it.

If you want to save that interview, you better copy it and store it somewhere secure now. The links to it currently work, but I am not sure how the wayback machine operates, particularly with respect to accessing old posts and photos that were stored there last spring when EpicSki went offline. I didn't have any participation in that process, but was glad some folks did it. I've been able to stumble through the EpicSki pages on the wayback machine and recover a lot of my articles and photos, but as time goes by I am having a harder time finding old EpicSki threads and photos that I was able to locate just a few months ago. I guess I need to find a tutorial on how the wayback machine works and how to more effectively search for stuff on it?

About PugSki, if I see an opportunity in a related discussion on snowmaking or ski area ops, I'll put a plug in for you:razz:

Also, have you ever communicated with Gregg Blanchard at SlopeFillers.com? He sometimes profiles people like you on his excellent website ( http://www.slopefillers.com/ ) and he might get a kick out of your book/personal story.

Last edited:

cdskier

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I started reading it this evening while I was waiting for my dinner to finish simmering on the stove. Then after dinner I ended up reading through the rest of the book. I particularly enjoyed the various anecdotes at the end of each chapter (I could read an entire second volume of just anecdotes!). And of course some stories being from Sugarbush is always enjoyable for me personally just because I love that mountain so much.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I started reading it this evening while I was waiting for my dinner to finish simmering on the stove. Then after dinner I ended up reading through the rest of the book. I particularly enjoyed the various anecdotes at the end of each chapter (I could read an entire second volume of just anecdotes!). And of course some stories being from Sugarbush is always enjoyable for me personally just because I love that mountain so much.

Glad you enjoyed it! I've considered working on a full-length collection of anecdotes, from bottom to top. Would be fun!