• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bromley Pumphouse Fire = Snowmaking Done

Hawkshot99

Maybe you have greater insight than I do, however things like closing 1 week after selling Spring Loaded cards (before any other mountains in the area closed by at least 1 week, including Jiminy) and opening after Jiminy this year certainly suggests where ownership is putting their resources.
I worked in a management position at JP when they took over running Bromley, and continue to work for a company that deals with both JP and Bromley on a daily basis.

For starters,Jiminy does not own Bromley. It is owned by a man named bill odonell. He owns "Centerplate" a food service provider at many ski mtns, airports, sports stadiums..... In the 10 yrs he owned it prior to JP coming in he visited the mtn 1 time. As long as he didn't lose any money there, he really didn't care what happened. He is also a part owner in the Fairbank Group that owns Jiminy and Cranmore. When he fired his last mtn manager, he decided to have the Fairbank Group run Bromley as well.
Bromley is operated like a old boys club. You are either one of the cool guys or you are not. It is not run to be a big successful business.
For there delayed openings vs jiminy.....if it wasn't for jiminy they would open much later than they do. Bill Cairns does not like opening for weekends then shutting down midweek when there are not enough customers to stay open. He had to be told many years to start making snow as he wanted to wait. They do close early, but most of that is the fact that they face south. Makes for great sunny days, but causes fast melt out. I have skied there in the spring with 100% coverage, then only a few days later shocked they were still open as it was mostly brown.
They play childish games....go up to the cafeteria in the lodge. You will see a very large high quality picture of a snowboarder riding through the woods. That picture is hanging upside down, and has been for 2-3 yrs since that person left Bromley to be the head of ski school at Okemo.
I enjoy skiing Bromley, but Jiminy is not what is holding them back. I have plenty more things about them, but don't feel like posting o a public forum.
580ede35c576338b7bf201fedab20af0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

Lmao, I'm sorry, but are you serious? You didn't Photoshop that image or anything? Please do tell if there are more gems like this, I'm fascinated by the pettiness.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawkshot99

Lmao, I'm sorry, but are you serious? You didn't Photoshop that image or anything? Please do tell if there are more gems like this, I'm fascinated by the pettiness.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app
100% that is a real picture. Like I said there is more, but I'm keeping it to things the public can see themselves.

Glenn

Great news on the pump house! It's awesome to hear that everyone is chipping in and helping out. Hope they can get it all online within the time frame they have. Thankfully, they'll have some natural snow to fill in the blanks.

ShadyGrove

I worked in a management position at JP when they took over running Bromley, and continue to work for a company that deals with both JP and Bromley on a daily basis.

For starters,Jiminy does not own Bromley. It is owned by a man named bill odonell. He owns "Centerplate" a food service provider at many ski mtns, airports, sports stadiums..... In the 10 yrs he owned it prior to JP coming in he visited the mtn 1 time. As long as he didn't lose any money there, he really didn't care what happened. He is also a part owner in the Fairbank Group that owns Jiminy and Cranmore. When he fired his last mtn manager, he decided to have the Fairbank Group run Bromley as well.
Bromley is operated like a old boys club. You are either one of the cool guys or you are not. It is not run to be a big successful business.
For there delayed openings vs jiminy.....if it wasn't for jiminy they would open much later than they do. Bill Cairns does not like opening for weekends then shutting down midweek when there are not enough customers to stay open. He had to be told many years to start making snow as he wanted to wait. They do close early, but most of that is the fact that they face south. Makes for great sunny days, but causes fast melt out. I have skied there in the spring with 100% coverage, then only a few days later shocked they were still open as it was mostly brown.
They play childish games....go up to the cafeteria in the lodge. You will see a very large high quality picture of a snowboarder riding through the woods. That picture is hanging upside down, and has been for 2-3 yrs since that person left Bromley to be the head of ski school at Okemo.
I enjoy skiing Bromley, but Jiminy is not what is holding them back. I have plenty more things about them, but don't feel like posting o a public forum.
580ede35c576338b7bf201fedab20af0.jpg

You are correct that Fairbanks does not own Bromley They are the managers. It's owned by Joe O'Donnell and has been since 1986. In this case, the semantics aren't important as the question comes to who is making the primary decisions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissatisfied with my experiences at Bromley. Overall they do a great job. However I would like to see them be more pro-active with the local JISP program (encouraging more local kids to ski at Bromley) and am still confused why the ski school director only lasts about 3 seasons.

slatham

Just in time for the first thaw since the fire, they will be up and running! Impressive effort for sure. Not anywhere near pre-fire levels, but they will be able to make snow this weekend. Also it looks like they have a second motor due next week so more capacity online at that time. But I am sure we are all hoping for a nice "resurfacing" effort from mother nature on Saturday. A couple (several?) inches is not out of the question.

Update, January 10. At about 10am this morning, two pumps and one motor returned to a very nicely rebuilt home sweet home from their stay at the machine-spa (Associated Electro-Mechanics). We were scheduled to receive two motors today, but one is still testing with a vibration. AEM is addressing the rattle with the intent of getting motor number two back on site next week. All parts we did receive are in place, in the new Pump House. By end of day Friday we expect to have the motor wired to its starter, all the mechanicals (valves and welding) put together, and guages and transmitters installed. AEM will dial in "performance parameters" to fine tune ideal operating pressures from the pump and motor on Saturday. On Sunday, if all goes well, we'll make snow!

One motor and one pump allow us to move 650 gallons of water up the mountain per minute, enough to operate 15-30 snowguns (quantity depends on location and type). Pre-fire, our capacity was 3000 gallons per minute. While we're certainly not at full power, some is 100% better than none. We hope you agree.

Following the forecast? You know that our current weather is warm, and we're due for it to get warmer and wetter through Saturday. What does that mean for snowmaking and terrain over the weekend? We're prepping hoses and guns on Sunset Pass, Upper Twister and the steep pitch on Corkscrew to make snow in key spots during non-operating hours once temps drop on Saturday night/Sunday morning. We've also got hoses in place on Panic (and Peril - Peril opened on 100% natural cover, and needs more coverage) to work on terrain expansion during the day while you're skiing and riding. Remember, we also added an additional Pisten Bully groomer to our fleet immediately after the fire, and expect our grooming team to make full use of it following Friday and Saturday's rain. What we can't address with snowmaking, we will certainly cover with the snow cats. Thanks for reading, and thanks for skiing and riding Bromley. Have a great weekend.

drjeff

Just in time for the first thaw since the fire, they will be up and running! Impressive effort for sure. Not anywhere near pre-fire levels, but they will be able to make snow this weekend. Also it looks like they have a second motor due next week so more capacity online at that time. But I am sure we are all hoping for a nice "resurfacing" effort from mother nature on Saturday. A couple (several?) inches is not out of the question.

Update, January 10. At about 10am this morning, two pumps and one motor returned to a very nicely rebuilt home sweet home from their stay at the machine-spa (Associated Electro-Mechanics). We were scheduled to receive two motors today, but one is still testing with a vibration. AEM is addressing the rattle with the intent of getting motor number two back on site next week. All parts we did receive are in place, in the new Pump House. By end of day Friday we expect to have the motor wired to its starter, all the mechanicals (valves and welding) put together, and guages and transmitters installed. AEM will dial in "performance parameters" to fine tune ideal operating pressures from the pump and motor on Saturday. On Sunday, if all goes well, we'll make snow!

One motor and one pump allow us to move 650 gallons of water up the mountain per minute, enough to operate 15-30 snowguns (quantity depends on location and type). Pre-fire, our capacity was 3000 gallons per minute. While we're certainly not at full power, some is 100% better than none. We hope you agree.

Following the forecast? You know that our current weather is warm, and we're due for it to get warmer and wetter through Saturday. What does that mean for snowmaking and terrain over the weekend? We're prepping hoses and guns on Sunset Pass, Upper Twister and the steep pitch on Corkscrew to make snow in key spots during non-operating hours once temps drop on Saturday night/Sunday morning. We've also got hoses in place on Panic (and Peril - Peril opened on 100% natural cover, and needs more coverage) to work on terrain expansion during the day while you're skiing and riding. Remember, we also added an additional Pisten Bully groomer to our fleet immediately after the fire, and expect our grooming team to make full use of it following Friday and Saturday's rain. What we can't address with snowmaking, we will certainly cover with the snow cats. Thanks for reading, and thanks for skiing and riding Bromley. Have a great weekend.

Awesome news!!