• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Options for West Coast Trip First Weekend in Jan

Kleetus

Just found out I have to travel to San Jose for some work meetings that end on 1/5. Thinking of staying out and skiing somewhere on the west coast that weekend since work will cover my airfare up to the cost of flying out and back. I have been monitoring the snow pack out there and it appears the PNW and Northern Rockies (MT, WY, and Alberta) have been making out the best so far.

Unfortunately, those are the places that are toughest to get to and where I will have to pitch in the most $$ for airfare (Already looked at Banff and Montana and really expensive to get out there from San Jose and then back).

Easiest places to go would be Tahoe or Mammoth, but they are way behind on snow right now. Next easiest would be Denver or SLC, but again, they are hurting too. Any suggestions on which path to take on where to go? I'd prefer to do SLC, DEN, or Tahoe but not sure if things will improve by the first weekend in January enough to make it worth it. Would likely only have 2-3 days to ski, so limiting driving would be a plus. Any intel or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

KustyTheKlown

Go to Alta/Snowbird 600 inches a year
GReat skiing
Lots of snow
close to the airport

You probably shouldn't speak when you don't know what you speak of

OP - go to the Pacific Northwest, Idaho, Montana, or interior BC/Alberta. Flights to Seattle are plentiful and cheap, and stevens, crystal, and baker are going off big

jimk

Go to Alta/Snowbird 600 inches a year
GReat skiing
Lots of snow
close to the airport

The guys are right about the other places having more snow, but SLC might not be a bad choice if you put a priority on cheap air travel connections. If you went to SLC you could plan to drive 4.5 hours to Grand Targhee. It has all trails open and is good for a couple days skiing. Or if conditions improve in the Cottonwoods (just got 6" and expecting 6" more) you'd be right there.

machski

Seattle from San Jose/Oakland even SFO should be relatively cheap $. There is a war going on between Delta and Alaska at SEA and now United has entered the fray too. Go there, Washington Cascades are loaded right now and very close to Seattle. Prices home from SEA should be reasonable too, Delta and Alaska are battling on transcons now too.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Kleetus

Seattle from San Jose/Oakland even SFO should be relatively cheap $. There is a war going on between Delta and Alaska at SEA and now United has entered the fray too. Go there, Washington Cascades are loaded right now and very close to Seattle. Prices home from SEA should be reasonable too, Delta and Alaska are battling on transcons now too.

Leaning that way. Only concern I have is that they are saying maybe rain around new years...may also be a big snow dump. Unfortunately have to book this tomorrow or could get in trouble with my work for waiting too long.

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Leaning that way. Only concern I have is that they are saying maybe rain around new years...may also be a big snow dump. Unfortunately have to book this tomorrow or could get in trouble with my work for waiting too long.

That is the only drawback to the PNW. They usually get a ton of snow but it is like New England too in that they can and do get NCP. Keep Mt. Baker on your radar then. SEA works for them, a bit more of a drive. But if the closer Cascades get NCP, Baker often stays snow.

Kleetus

That is the only drawback to the PNW. They usually get a ton of snow but it is like New England too in that they can and do get NCP. Keep Mt. Baker on your radar then. SEA works for them, a bit more of a drive. But if the closer Cascades get NCP, Baker often stays snow.

Trip booked. Heading to SEA. Cheap airfare. Cheap rental car. Best snow outlook. Agree Baker is an option if there is the R word before or while I'm there. Also Whistler is 4 ish hours away as another option if things look better up that way.

Was thinking doing SLC and driving to Jackson if things didn't turn around but flights were more money and so were rental cars.

machski

Trip booked. Heading to SEA. Cheap airfare. Cheap rental car. Best snow outlook. Agree Baker is an option if there is the R word before or while I'm there. Also Whistler is 4 ish hours away as another option if things look better up that way.

Was thinking doing SLC and driving to Jackson if things didn't turn around but flights were more money and so were rental cars.

If Whistler is in your plans, don't forget a Passport/Nexus or enhanced DL if your state plays that game. Or no Whistler for you [emoji12]

thetrailboss

Staff member
As of now they only have 59" for the season...unless that is drastically going to change in the next 2 weeks not sure I would want to go after that...

+ 1. Anything can change and we just got more than a foot with more on the way, but if you are planning now I would say go to Targhee.