• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Holiday week bust???

Glenn

We were hoping to get out this weekend since we're blacked out next weekend and haven't been out since before Christmas. But looking like we won't due to the temps. Maybe we'll take a few laps at Living Memorial in Bratt....

drjeff

killington appears mostly open today. skyeship stage 2 is down. k-1, snowdons, skye peak quad are up. that gets you to most terrain.

okemo closed the main six, but has the fixed grip summit access open. I'm really counting on bubbles there tomorrow...

tomorrow will be interesting.

Summit forecast of winds of 40-50mph tomorrow... :eek:

One of my instructor friends at Mount Snow texted me to say that they've been told to plan for only lower mountain lifts tomorrow because of both winds and concern about having people on too long of a lift in the projected wind chills....

Tomorrow is going to be a challenging day for sure!!

KustyTheKlown

yea, worst comes to worst we hang at the resort and in Manchester and get after it good on sunday

SnowRock

Yeah tough call for me this weekend. Got out 4 days during the cold stretch up at Stowe (of course left Tuesday when it snowed 12) and now back down in NJ. Have a Jackson trip at month’s end so trying to maintain my legs. Curious what Hunter may be like... not sure I feel like making the drive given temps if it’s totally wind scoured. Would even contemplate a Magic day trip normally, but have a dinner Saturday night that I can’t miss which makes that a real tough day. Maybe I’ll opt for my first Pokes trip of the season.

Edd

Friggin Crotched is claiming 14”. Damn!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tnt1234

Yeah tough call for me this weekend. Got out 4 days during the cold stretch up at Stowe (of course left Tuesday when it snowed 12) and now back down in NJ. Have a Jackson trip at month’s end so trying to maintain my legs. Curious what Hunter may be like... not sure I feel like making the drive given temps if it’s totally wind scoured. Would even contemplate a Magic day trip normally, but have a dinner Saturday night that I can’t miss which makes that a real tough day. Maybe I’ll opt for my first Pokes trip of the season.
Yeah, we're in the same boat. Will read the reports on Bell and Hunter tomorrow, but leaning toward Blue for Sunday. They always seed a few trails with bumps at least...

Where do you line in NJ that you can day trip Magic?

cdskier

Sugarbush has stated in their snow report this afternoon that they plan to only open lower mountain lifts and trails tomorrow due to the extreme windchill temps forecast. That makes me feel a bit better about my decision to not drive up.

dhmcgill87

Anyone ever try jack frost in the pokes? I'm on a peak pass for the first time this year.

Also debating whether the day trip to Hunter from NJ is worth it on Sunday. Can save 30 min driving each way heading to PA, but the hill looks so tiny...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Jcb890

Stratton might have the worst Snow/Conditions Report in New England. They never update the actual report and only show lift closures or delays on the lifts page... which of course is basically useless unless on a PC/laptop.

"We're planning on running all our lifts tomorrow!"

Next day: no update to the snow report, but all of the Stratton-workers are walking around telling everyone summit is closed for the day.

VTKilarney

I wonder how many people right now are saying, "That's the last time I use Liftopia."

tnt1234

Anyone ever try jack frost in the pokes? I'm on a peak pass for the first time this year.

Also debating whether the day trip to Hunter from NJ is worth it on Sunday. Can save 30 min driving each way heading to PA, but the hill looks so tiny...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've skied there a bunch.

It's really small.

But they encourage tree skiing, and have a bunch of cleared and marked glades. They aren't very exciting, but, you know....better than nothing. If they get buried in snow, there is some half decent skiing on the....I forget what they call it....East Mountain I think. Couple of boulders to jump off, a few steep pitches, a neat tree run that crosses under the lift.

Hunter is a million times better terrain. Maybe even 2 million. But when my kids were just learning, we liked the laid back, family friendly, generally uncrowded (they have dozens of fixed grip lifts - you never wait in line) atmosphere.

I'm guessing you must live in north NJ? If it's between a 2 hour drive to Hunter and a 1-1/2 hour drive to JF, Hunter is the right answer for sure. I'm wrestling with 1-3/4 to Blue mountain (which is 1000' vert, so much better than JF) and a 3 hour slog to Hunter or Bell, and we might well end up in the catskills sunday if that gives you an indication of how different the skiing is...

Last edited:

SnowRock

Yeah, we're in the same boat. Will read the reports on Bell and Hunter tomorrow, but leaning toward Blue for Sunday. They always seed a few trails with bumps at least...

Where do you line in NJ that you can day trip Magic?

Moved east again because the NYC commute was killing me.. In Jersey City now so its not much quicker than my old Morris country locale, but I have been known to be on the road by 4 and then again by 1-2 for a quick Southern VT day trip. Have an understanding wife, no little humans and long drives don't bother me, but its not a super sane day trip.

I used to do pokes more (mostly camelback) since i was close to 80 (or sometimes even creek on a snow day if i was working from home), but now being east i lean towards hunter since I get bored much less quickly and find the difference in drive worth it.

BenedictGomez

Already seeing resorts say they'll be "adjusting" schedules and lifts for tomorrow.

You can expect to see much more of that.

drjeff

Short version about the winds, at least in So VT, right now... I've owned my condo at Mount Snow for just under 11yrs now. Did 3 winter's of seasonal leases before that. Average season is 20 weeks. We're here usually 18 out of 20 weekends most season and if we don't travel West in a season, every weekend of the season. I've got probably close to 250 weekends up at Mount Snow in the last 15 odd years... The wind gusts now are as strong, if not stronger, than I have experienced up here. Air temp is currently -6, and dropping about a degree every 30-45 minutes the last few hours. The cleared area adjacent to the condo across the street from mine has been blown off down to the freezing rain glare from the Dec 23rd precipitation event.

Based on the forecast, if folks are expecting most lifts spinning most anywhere tomorrow, and untouched soft powder turns, the reality is you better find some of that magic ferry dust and toss it in the air and click your heels together 3 times and make wish...

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Short version about the winds, at least in So VT, right now... I've owned my condo at Mount Snow for just under 11yrs now. Did 3 winter's of seasonal leases before that. Average season is 20 weeks. We're here usually 18 out of 20 weekends most season and if we don't travel West in a season, every weekend of the season. I've got probably close to 250 weekends up at Mount Snow in the last 15 odd years... The wind gusts now are as strong, if not stronger, than I have experienced up here. Air temp is currently -6, and dropping about a degree every 30-45 minutes the last few hours. The cleared area adjacent to the condo across the street from mine has been blown off down to the freezing rain glare from the Dec 23rd precipitation event.

Based on the forecast, if folks are expecting most lifts spinning most anywhere tomorrow, and untouched soft powder turns, the reality is you better find some of that magic ferry dust and toss it in the air and click your heels together 3 times and make wish...

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quietman

Friggin Crotched is claiming 14”. Damn!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Easily 14" as I skied in it last night. But it was more like 4" then 3', and repeat over and over. It was still fun!