• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Holiday week bust???

medfordmike

Already seeing resorts say they'll be "adjusting" schedules and lifts for tomorrow.

You can expect to see much more of that.

I am a pass holder at Pico and they have already initiated the summit guarantee in advance of tomorrow. Even prepaid not worth the trip up. It is the right decision on their part though.

jimk

Short version about the winds, at least in So VT, right now... I've owned my condo at Mount Snow for just under 11yrs now. Did 3 winter's of seasonal leases before that. Average season is 20 weeks. We're here usually 18 out of 20 weekends most season and if we don't travel West in a season, every weekend of the season. I've got probably close to 250 weekends up at Mount Snow in the last 15 odd years... The wind gusts now are as strong, if not stronger, than I have experienced up here. Air temp is currently -6, and dropping about a degree every 30-45 minutes the last few hours. The cleared area adjacent to the condo across the street from mine has been blown off down to the freezing rain glare from the Dec 23rd precipitation event.

Based on the forecast, if folks are expecting most lifts spinning most anywhere tomorrow, and untouched soft powder turns, the reality is you better find some of that magic ferry dust and toss it in the air and click your heels together 3 times and make wish...

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Wow. You da man!

Zermatt

It's all the wind!

21 years ago today (January 6, 1996) we did a day trip to Stratton on what was probably the coldest day I ever skied. Looking at the record books Burlington set a record low that morning of -23F that still stands today. I think -20F at Stratton would be a reasonable guess, maybe colder. But it wasn't windy. A slight breeze at the summit but all lifts were in full operation, no talk about "exposure" back then.

We all know what happened the next day.....

drjeff

If you wanted to, could you move/live there, or is it one of those things were they force you to rent it 'x' days/weeks per year?
We could live in our condo 365 days a year if we wanted to. No requirement to rent it. We could if we wanted to, but choose not too. Probably use it 30+ weekends a year, plus some vacation weeks.

There are about a half dozen out of the 212 units in my complex where the owners are full time, year round residents

slatham

Short version about the winds, at least in So VT, right now... I've owned my condo at Mount Snow for just under 11yrs now. Did 3 winter's of seasonal leases before that. Average season is 20 weeks. We're here usually 18 out of 20 weekends most season and if we don't travel West in a season, every weekend of the season. I've got probably close to 250 weekends up at Mount Snow in the last 15 odd years... The wind gusts now are as strong, if not stronger, than I have experienced up here. Air temp is currently -6, and dropping about a degree every 30-45 minutes the last few hours. The cleared area adjacent to the condo across the street from mine has been blown off down to the freezing rain glare from the Dec 23rd precipitation event.

Based on the forecast, if folks are expecting most lifts spinning most anywhere tomorrow, and untouched soft powder turns, the reality is you better find some of that magic ferry dust and toss it in the air and click your heels together 3 times and make wish...

Wow, that says a lot. We had plans to be up is weekend for the race at Bromley, but that was canceled. Still planned to go until it became obvious the cold, wind, and lack of open terrain would not be worth it (and we have snow on Long Island to take advantage of via snowshoeing).

slatham

It's all the wind!

21 years ago today (January 6, 1996) we did a day trip to Stratton on what was probably the coldest day I ever skied. Looking at the record books Burlington set a record low that morning of -23F that still stands today. I think -20F at Stratton would be a reasonable guess, maybe colder. But it wasn't windy. A slight breeze at the summit but all lifts were in full operation, no talk about "exposure" back then.

We all know what happened the next day.....

Two winters ago, Presidents weekend, -24 at 7am at our condo at 2,300' at Bromley. Went out around noon, -12, sunny and no wind. All lifts running. Skied all afternoon. It's all about the wind.

dhmcgill87

Yeah, I've skied there a bunch.

It's really small.

But they encourage tree skiing, and have a bunch of cleared and marked glades. They aren't very exciting, but, you know....better than nothing. If they get buried in snow, there is some half decent skiing on the....I forget what they call it....East Mountain I think. Couple of boulders to jump off, a few steep pitches, a neat tree run that crosses under the lift.

Hunter is a million times better terrain. Maybe even 2 million. But when my kids were just learning, we liked the laid back, family friendly, generally uncrowded (they have dozens of fixed grip lifts - you never wait in line) atmosphere.

I'm guessing you must live in north NJ? If it's between a 2 hour drive to Hunter and a 1-1/2 hour drive to JF, Hunter is the right answer for sure. I'm wrestling with 1-3/4 to Blue mountain (which is 1000' vert, so much better than JF) and a 3 hour slog to Hunter or Bell, and we might well end up in the catskills sunday if that gives you an indication of how different the skiing is...
Thanks - East peak looks interesting but it looks like the steep pitch is pretty limited? Think I may just be getting bored of hunter. Kindof jealous of those with motivation for a S VT day trip. Haven't made it up to Snow yet this year - 4 hours each way from Hudson county NJ is too much for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

tnt1234

Thanks - East peak looks interesting but it looks like the steep pitch is pretty limited? Think I may just be getting bored of hunter. Kindof jealous of those with motivation for a S VT day trip. Haven't made it up to Snow yet this year - 4 hours each way from Hudson county NJ is too much for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

East is like two short steep pitches. But if there is snow and the trees are skiable, there are a few cool little lines here and there. And sometimes they set up the main trail there with a side steep they call the Elevator. There is also a glade called Happy Land that is Ok...it's nice that they encourage trees and exploring, but it's just so small....

If you are bored of hunter, you will be bored at JF pretty quickly.

BenedictGomez

We could live in our condo 365 days a year if we wanted to. No requirement to rent it. We could if we wanted to, but choose not too. Probably use it 30+ weekends a year, plus some vacation weeks.

There are about a half dozen out of the 212 units in my complex where the owners are full time, year round residents

That's only 3%, why so low? I would think it would be a cool place to live for certain single people, etc.. And it's great that you're not forced to rent it 'x' days per year. That's the absolute dealbreaker for me.

I briefly looked into condo ownership at Smuggs, but they force you to offer it for rental at least 75 winter season days, and I dont like the idea that you "own" something yet you are forced to rent it, which seems crazy to me. Not sure if all Smuggs condos work like that, but the ones they post for sale on their website do.