Holiday week bust??? - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Always an upside to nasty temps.The snow surface stays so good much longer imo.Less trafic might account for some of it but it just seems to be more durable on the groomers.

SIKSKIER

The only thing I'd add to what's been posted cold weather tips wise so far, is a nice layer of Dermatome under your eyes, your upper cheeks and over your nose - basically along the junction of your goggles and whatever your face protection of choice is. Works great when it's cold at helping reduce frost bite risk and also is great on warm days when face protection isn't needed to prevent sun and/or wind burn

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '07-'18 seasons: 567 Days

'18 - '19 season
    November: 17.18,23,25 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1 (Mount Snow)

Pretty early in the season for temps this cold! Hoping the areas do well despite the colder temps. They'll certainly be able to make snow if that's in the plans.
    "I like homemade food. I just do."

Pico was awesome today. 100% open, plenty of powder left on Outpost. Even enough snow to groom the natural snow trails.
    2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    Pico was awesome today. 100% open, plenty of powder left on Outpost. Even enough snow to groom the natural snow trails.
    Nice! What a start to the season.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The only thing I'd add to what's been posted cold weather tips wise so far, is a nice layer of Dermatome under your eyes, your upper cheeks and over your nose - basically along the junction of your goggles and whatever your face protection of choice is. Works great when it's cold at helping reduce frost bite risk and also is great on warm days when face protection isn't needed to prevent sun and/or wind burn
    That's a good tip. I've been looking for something like that. I'll have to pick up some Dermatome.

On really cold days, one thing I like to add is boot gloves. It's a neoprene layer that fits over the foot part of the boot. It noticeably slows down heat loss and keeps my toes from getting cold and sending me back into the lodge too soon.

I've seen more people with Boot Gloves over the past few years. May have to give those a try.
    "I like homemade food. I just do."

Concerning boot gloves, Just got a pair, haven't been skiing when it has been cold enough to test them yet. Typically, I find I may not notice an upgrade in performance, but I will certainly notice a downgrade. A friend suggested that find out how well they work, wear only one on a wicked cold day and compare your two feet.
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I've seen more people with Boot Gloves over the past few years. May have to give those a try.
    My crews experience with them... Your feet will still eventually get cold with a pair of boot gloves on. It just takes a longer time to do so.

Once you take a break and need to warm up, take them off inside the lodge as then the neoprene will help keep the cold in. Also, don't put them on in the lodge or in a location where you have to walk across a non snow surface before clicking into your bindings, as walking on those more abrasive surfaces wears out the strap that goes across the sole of your boot more rapidly....

One final thing, especially for Glenn and Mrs. Glenn's humor sake... Boot Gloves don't make you nearly as cool as "neoprene butt guy" items!! (It's an old inside joke from Glenn and Mrs Glenn's Mount Snow days.... )
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '07-'18 seasons: 567 Days

'18 - '19 season
    November: 17.18,23,25 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1 (Mount Snow)

Was at Gunstock yesterday for a few hours. Cold definitely kept the crowds away which was good because the HSQ was down all day. Guess they got more ice than expected. Slope conditions were fine...a bit firm in spots but plenty of edgeable snow.

Another issue was that they only had two ticket windows open...waited over 30 minutes to get my RFID cards. Would have thought that they would have at least one more window open, especially since they were all outside. I ended up having to warm up in the lodge after getting the cards. Not good.

Thread Information