• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Holiday week bust???

BenedictGomez

It can get pretty wind scoured plus with the severe double fall line, skiers push the snow off the edge of the trail skiers left. Even during the 400+ inch winter of 2000-2001, Upper Goat struggled with coverage. I skied Stowe 100+ days that season and it was frequently closed.

From what I remember, that sounds about right. It's a funky trail with that double fall line - a steep funnel.

P1030893.JPG

jmgard

Consider Magic...the lift is nestled tightly down under the treetops and well sheltered from wind. Mount Snow will have many lift holds for sure

Magic is awesome! I finally got to hit it for the first time last year. Unfortunately I don't have the $ to spend on lift tickets right now so I have to choose between the Peak pass/New England pass mountains. Looking like either Crotched or the woods near my neighborhood depending on the wind hold situation...

Glenn

Stratton has lower access only as of now. Mt. Snow is running just a few of the lifts on beginner terrain. Take a look at the webcams up there; it's blowing pretty good.

drjeff

Just saw a FB video post from one of my friends who is an instructor at Mount Snow, just of her walk in from the parking lot... Winds are whipping everything and intermittent white out conditions just in the parking lot!!

By the time the winds let down enough to get access to more than just the base lower mountain (maybe later tomorrow or more likely Sunday if the forecasts I've seen for winds of 40-50+ at elevation the next 36-48 hrs hold true), my guess is that this storm will end up skiing/riding like 0" - 3+ feet of wind slab drifts...

Mtn Ops and lift ops have some tough work ahead of them, and likely many customers won't be happy if they're expecting to find smooth, untouched, widespread powder on the back of this storm....

tnt1234

Kind of glad I can't ski till Sunday. Don't think I'm missing much tomorrow - gonna be wicked cold and still windy I think.

Question for me is, will it be worth 3 hour each way trip to Hunter or Bell or just do a quick trip to the Pokes.

Edd

From what I remember, that sounds about right. It's a funky trail with that double fall line - a steep funnel.

P1030893.JPG

Years ago I went to Stowe for my first time and a local from the Epic forum met with me to show me around. We did Upper Goat for the 2nd run. It was certainly manageable and overall conditions at Stowe were good but we parted ways after that since him and I were not skiing on the same frequency. He wanted to hike for turns next and I’m like, “Dude I just want to check out the place, not put my skillz to the test every minute.”

Mapnut

Just checked the Belleayre webcam and the gondola is running, though slower than normal. I didn't see anyone skiing. All this week it looked like they were sending gondola cars up empty.

kingslug

Kind of glad I can't ski till Sunday. Don't think I'm missing much tomorrow - gonna be wicked cold and still windy I think.

Question for me is, will it be worth 3 hour each way trip to Hunter or Bell or just do a quick trip to the Pokes.
Hunter..but then again Bell is more protected from wind scouring.

tnt1234

Hunter..but then again Bell is more protected from wind scouring.

See what happens with West tomorrow I guess.

Such a double edged sword for flat landers like me. Pokes are 1.75 hours vs. cats 3 hrs. Such an easier day just to go to blue or camelback. But the catskills deliver such better skiing, and the feeling of being in the mountains....

Tough call. See what the reports say tomorrow and make the call.

kingslug

Its why I drive 5 hours up North. Hunter is 2 hours but I'm a bit tired of it. A good option for a day trip for sure but 2 days requires VT.

BenedictGomez

Skiing on Sunday wont be a tropical adventure either.

On the bright side, we have more shots on goal before the back have of January warm up that's coming.

EDIT: Ugh... check that. What a horrible flip-flop on these 12z models. Hope they're wrong.

Last edited:

tnt1234

Skiing on Sunday wont be a tropical adventure either.

On the bright side, we have more shots on goal before the back have of January warm up that's coming.

Yeah...Belleayre Gondola maybe?!?!?!

...Or just go to Blue where temps will hit the teens and I won't spend 6 hours driving to freeze.

slatham

Mt Snow only has Discovery area open so basically closed.

Stratton has no aerial lifts running so basically closed.

Bromley as of 10am was also closed (though expecting lower mountain lifts to run).

Meanwhile Magic is top to bottom on Red.

As for next weekend's storm, don't let the models play tennis with our minds again. How much back and forth on yesterdays storm? How many models saw that storm, consistently, from 9 days out (or even 3)? Even the Canadian, which nailed it, went back and forth a few times in the 5-9 day period.

KustyTheKlown

killington appears mostly open today. skyeship stage 2 is down. k-1, snowdons, skye peak quad are up. that gets you to most terrain.

okemo closed the main six, but has the fixed grip summit access open. I'm really counting on bubbles there tomorrow...

tomorrow will be interesting.

skimagic

killington appears mostly open today. skyeship stage 2 is down. k-1, snowdons, skye peak quad are up. that gets you to most terrain.

okemo closed the main six, but has the fixed grip summit access open. I'm really counting on bubbles there tomorrow...

tomorrow will be interesting.

Stratton only has the carpet running. Might as well just close the whole mountain.

cdskier

MRG had the single on windhold today.

Sugarbush had Mt Ellen fully open it appears...but at Lincoln Peak Castlerock was the only major lift open this morning (had to hike to it...but probably some good conditions to be found there if you did). Sometime later this morning it looks like they managed to open Gate House...so that makes it much easier for people to get to the CR lift at least. Pretty much no one is at Lincoln Peak today based on the webcams (no real surprise since nearly all base lifts were on hold this morning).

Part of me wishes I was going up this weekend...but then I remember that it will probably be brutally cold tomorrow and there's still a chance of some wind holds.

Edd

but then I remember that it will probably be brutally cold tomorrow and there's still a chance of some wind holds.

High of 5 degrees in Boston tomorrow. Yeah, skiing in New England is going to be uncomfortable.