• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Holiday week bust???

Jcb890

It is trending the right direction for Maine this morning. Get ready for it to be even colder right after the storm though!
Just saw a more recent update also, totals moving back up now seeing 5-6".

What site(s) does everyone like to use? I like Snow-Forecast (link below). I also like Weather Underground, but they changed their website and now don't show anticipated snow totals unless you use the mobile app instead.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sunday-River/6day/mid

tnt1234

I hope that map is right, but it's not showing up in any forecast sites.

cdskier

The storm would have to trend quite a bit west for those accumulations in VT to happen...a few hours ago Josh Fox was still thinking only 1-4 for most of the VT ski areas.

drjeff

i would be shocked if this drops >6" on Vermont and the ADKS.

i hope i eat my words

I'm with you!!

I'm thinking eliminate that entire 6-12" swath around the I-87/I-91 corridors and replace that with the 3-6" (maybe 4-8" over by the CT/RI border on up through Mass from Worcester East, and kick the 1-3" over by the CT/VT/NY border, and that seems more realistic with the likely tropical banding nature as opposed to the more continuous Nor'easter swath of moisture this storm is likely to have.

Without a doubt though, when this storm slams into Nova Scotia, they're going to get some big time winds and precip!!

NYDB

was planning on six days of lessons last week for youngest. 1 day canceled at magic and 2 canceled at stratton because of cold weather.

a lot of lost $ fer sure

tumbler

The storm would have to trend quite a bit west for those accumulations in VT to happen...a few hours ago Josh Fox was still thinking only 1-4 for most of the VT ski areas.

He's wrong quite a bit especially with storm totals. He's a good read and does well with trends and with forecasting the upslope.

cdskier

He's wrong quite a bit especially with storm totals. He's a good read and does well with trends and with forecasting the upslope.

Usually he's wrong on the high side though (maybe a bit of wishful thinking at times on his part?)...unless it is very localized snow that over-performs what he thinks. With big storms he's not usually one to say 1-4 and then we get 6-12.

BenedictGomez

The storm would have to trend quite a bit west for those accumulations in VT to happen...

Exactly.

Hey, it could happen. It's happened before.

But at this moment, there's absolutely no data to support that that prediction will happen. It's click-bait.

BenedictGomez

Rob has been around for a long time.

Well it appears Rob is a web-traffic, storm hyper, because there's literally no meteorological support for the huge totals he's predicting for most of that map. Not a single global model has anything even remotely close to that.

chuckstah

Boston news at 7 tonight had a very similar map. Predicting a blizzard, but looks like the coast and the fish will hit the jackpot. Maine may just deliver.

MEtoVTSkier

Well it appears Rob is a web-traffic, storm hyper, because there's literally no meteorological support for the huge totals he's predicting for most of that map. Not a single global model has anything even remotely close to that.

Sorry, I forgot you're an expert on everything. Lol! I don't really care one way or the other, but since he has a degree in Meteorology, and he's been spot on so far this season, I'll take his opinion over yours.

BenedictGomez

Sorry, I forgot you're an expert on everything. Lol! I don't really care one way or the other, but since he has a degree in Meteorology, and he's been spot on so far this season, I'll take his opinion over yours.

You sure? He's basing this on a "hunch", literally...... serious weather people dont do that.

Here's a responsible map based on actual guidance from a real meterologist. This at least jives with the global models which dont have the pcp shield anywhere near as far west as "Rob's" map does; which is a map designed as click-bait designed to drive hits to his website. Lots of that going on sadly.

26113872_1567937143253538_871635418494288892_n.jpg

Jully

Wow, those are steep transitions!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Yup! That's what's crazy about this storm. A small shift mileage wise and you get big differences in snow. Instead of 2-4" vs. 3-6" its 3-6" versus 10-12". Need it to come just a bit west for Sugarloaf. Had this trip booked since the ski show and I'm there Thursday and Friday!

kingslug

i would be shocked if this drops >6" on Vermont and the ADKS.

i hope i eat my words
It already did. Stowe reporting 6 inches plus fell over night.
[FONT=&quot]It's a Powder Day at Stowe!![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After a week long snowfall drought, a little Mansfield Magic happened overnight and we measured 6 inches of blower at our Barnes Camp snow plot at 1500'. Our grooming team is reporting over a foot at upper elevations resort wide. [/FONT]