• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Holiday week bust???

bdfreetuna

Just leaving this here.. the NAM keeps getting better.

edit: 12z run after this not quite as impressive

ggg.jpg

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

It already did. Stowe reporting 6 inches plus fell over night.
[FONT="]It's a Powder Day at Stowe!![/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#666666][FONT="]After a week long snowfall drought, a little Mansfield Magic happened overnight and we measured 6 inches of blower at our Barnes Camp snow plot at 1500'. Our grooming team is reporting over a foot at upper elevations resort wide. [/FONT]

that's not attributable to this storm. that's a fluke/lake effect/orographic stowe storm. my statement refers to the Thursday storm and I stand by it, but continue to hope for >6", and that the cold burst isn't as extreme as they predict

kingslug

I know.....just happy that its snowing. Here. Once again I'm in the same position as you...leaving the snow to go where its warm and dry.

BenedictGomez

The real life storm has a greater pcp shield and is tucked a bit further west than the same time GFS model depiction.

This is incremental good news. Though in general it seems the model is doing okay with the storm so far.

View attachment 23005

View attachment 23004

EDIT: Cant seem to get those pics to work

Last edited:

Jcb890

I enjoy reading the posts you guys make about storms, but not going to lie... some of it goes over my head.

PCP shield
12z
18z

BenedictGomez

I enjoy reading the posts you guys make about storms, but not going to lie... some of it goes over my head.

PCP shield
12z
18z

PCP = precipitation

12z and 18z are simply times in UTC, which are either 4 or 5 hour subtractions for our time zone (it's 5 right now) depending on time of year due to spring-forward & fall-back.

Jcb890

PCP = precipitation

12z and 18z are simply times in UTC, which are either 4 or 5 hour subtractions for our time zone (it's 5 right now) depending on time of year due to spring-forward & fall-back.
PCP shield is precipitation shield (how far out from the storm the precipitation extends)

This was the explanation I was looking for. I figured PCP = Precipitation, just wasn't quite sure what a PCP shield is/was.

What does the "z" stand for? Anything in particular interesting or just that 12z or 18z mean the time like you said?

Jcb890

Ah, makes sense I suppose. Thanks for the info gentlemen! I knew about the GMT time zones and different time zones, but didn't know about the military time zones.

BenedictGomez

The shame of it is, this storm had such absolutely massive potential, but the path it's on steers the bulk of its' power away from much of ski country.

lucy-football.jpg

BenedictGomez

matters what your ski country is.:) Mine is NH and we are gettin' some at least

Everyone will get "some", and Maine should get hammered good, but what I mean is this is an absolutely massive storm, and it's going to miss out on epicness for almost all of ski country by probably only 100 miles or so. For instance, if NH gets 10", it could have gotten 20".