• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf power outage 12-26-17

MEtoVTSkier

I just always assumed all chairlifts are required to have a diesel backup.

I believe if you want to "Operate" on your diesel backup, you need a second backup for emergencies. (i.e. another diesel, or hydraulic hookups for a snowcat, e.c.t.) If all you have is a single diesel backup, and no power, and no other backup, then you can only use the diesel to evac the lift.

Jully

In fact, all ski lifts are required to have auxiliary engines as back-up power sources, in the rare instance of a loss of electrical power.

Bottom line of page 9:
https://www.nsaa.org/media/276290/Lift_Safety_Fact_Sheet_2016_Revised.pdf

This does not say what that backup has to be. The cynical part of me thinks that a mobile generator that can be towed from lift to lift with a snow cat may meet the letter of the law.

Yeah I bet some of them are snowcat hook ups.

SIKSKIER

Last spring we had a major outage in all the surrounding towns at Cannon.I always thought all lifts had deisel backup but found out that was not the case.I believe at least 2 of the lifts had to be evacuated while the rest used their deisel backup.One of them was their most recently installed lift at Mittersill so I'm assuming there is no law in NH about a deisel backup.

phin

I was the next chair to unload on Skyline when the power went out.. danglin' that far up with no wind protection was brutal -- especially that late in the day.. several people below me jumped from their chairs. It wasn't an option for me, as it was probably 15-20 ft to exposed rock.

I think Sugarloaf was quoted saying that the lift was only down 5-10 minutes.. it was definitely more like 15-20 minutes, but I'm alive w/ no injuries.

Alpine

The last time I was at Sugarloaf (2 years ago) they had a resort-wide outage. I ended my day and was confused as to why the lodge and everything was dark. I was like, "Am I here past closing?"