Fernie/Kicking Horse/Nakiska/Kimberly?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fernie/Kicking Horse/Nakiska/Kimberly?

Anyone familiar with these mountains in the Canadian Rockie?

What're the terrain like? Vibe, nearby town, lodging and other logistic?

Those 4 are on the MAX pass. Cluster close enough to drive from one to the other. I have more days than I have time to do 5 days in each. So trying to decide which mountain(s) to focus on if I go there.

It would be for the 2 week immediately after the New Year. I'm switching job and can take a week or 10 days as a gap. Looks like they're in better shape than Colorado or Utah snow-wise.

Spent a week in Fernie a few years ago during almost the same time frame - mid January. Stayed slopeside and loved it! Fernie has excellent trees in the Currie Bowl and some extreme terrain near the "Corner Pocket" trail areas. It's a large enough area where you can explore for days. Town has that real ski town vibe w great bars/restaurants. Hope you get some fresh, dry powder as we didn't have as much as we would have liked, but conditions were still excellent.

Now onto Kimberley, don't waste your time. Did a day there and felt like we were skiing back in New England. It wasn't bad, but tree lined slopes and not much challenge made us glad we were only there for the day.

Kicking Horse is turned up to 11 on the extreme scale. Don't go there unless you want ski double diamond steep all day.

Sent from my XT1045 using AlpineZone mobile app

Actually Kicking Horse has some tamer terrain. My former wife survived it. You can then turn it up to whatever level you want. The road there can be closed when its snowing, as happened to us once. BC is one of my favorite places on earth...because its so removed ..from the rest of the earth. When asked where I was from at the time I said New York...Oh..wheres that? love it.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

[QUOTE

Now onto Kimberley, don't waste your time. Did a day there and felt like we were skiing back in New England. It wasn't bad, but tree lined slopes and not much challenge made us glad we were only there for the day.[/QUOTE]

I visited Fernie a few years back, spectacular mountain, great terrain, views. And I made the day trip to Kimberly, it's a much longer drive than it looks like. The skiing was nothing special, views of valley, mountainrange across from main face we're nice, but not worth the drive.
    And on the seventh day, Ullr created Magic Mountain...

Yeah, I notice Kimberly is a long way away. Maybe I'll skip and just focus on Fernie and Kicking Horse. Maybe stop by Nakiska for a day since it's an easy drive from Calgary.

Is the road to kicking horse the access road to the ski area or the pass from Revelstoke or lake Louise. I guess you could go to one of those as a backup if the roads are open but those passes probably close easily.

And yes ..what about Revelstoke. I'm going in Feb. Almost 6000 vert, 3000 acres...and 3 lifts. Talk about an adventure.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Revelstoke is the real deal.Some of the deepest snowpack in North America is in the Monashee mts which are part of the Columbia range. The further east you get in the Rockies towards Banff/lake Louise the snowfall drops dramatically.Revelstoke is worth the trip but be aware that if you try to get to it from the east on Trans Canada 1,Rogers Pass sometimes can be closed.It is the main east/west highway across Canada loaded with big rigs so it does get a lot of attention though.
    SIKSKIER

Nah, not doing Revelstoke this trip. Not enough time. It's not on the MAX pass either. I don't feel like burning money while I can ski for "free" at KH and Fernie, which is all the time I'll have for.

Besides, I'll reserve Revel for another trip, possible combine with SunShine and Lake Louise. All those 3 are on the MCP (if they don't change it, not likely though)

Thread Information