Belleayre Opens Gondola Today - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Yeah, i just think the Gondi is going to increase traffic in the 1/3 of the mountain I like the best.

Is Highmount steeper than the Belleayre side?

Quote Originally Posted by tnt1234 View Post
    Yeah, i just think the Gondi is going to increase traffic in the 1/3 of the mountain I like the best.

Is Highmount steeper than the Belleayre side?
    I didn't realize that it was...but the plan says it is so I'll take their word for it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
    A 1400' mtn does not need a gondola!
    What is the cutoff?

They wanted it only because Gore and surface have them.
    Who is "they?"

Belleayre could have done so much better with the $ then they chose.
    Who is "they?"

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    What is the cutoff?

Who is "they?"

Who is "they?"
    When we are talking about a lift at Belleayre "they" is clearly Belleayre....
    I font know what the cutoff should be, but the rude is to short to require taking off skis and walking in there.
    I'm not a huge fan of the gondi at Gore either. Why have it not go to the summit? I liked the old ones route much better.

I skied Belleayre today and tried to give the gondi a fair try.
    -I am never a fan of having to take my skis off for a gondola or tram
    -Getting out of the wind was nice, but could be accomplished with a bubble lift as well.
    -I didn't time the ride, but it seemed to be traveling pretty slow.
    -I can see it as being a cool lift for the normal catskill/Pocono skier that has never ridden a gondola but that seems a small marketing group.
    -the run out past tomahawk down to the base sucks and takes forever. The dropoff on the downhill side of the road crossing was quite steep. I was able to get some fun air on it, but I see that as a problem for some beginners.

Last edited by Hawkshot99; Jan 2, 2018 at 7:17 PM.
    104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

If "they" is Belleayre then you are incorrect. The Gondi wasn't requested by Belle, the way those funds were spent was not determined by Belleayre.

I also don't like taking my skis off.

The Gondola at Gore made skiing possible over this most recent holiday period. There were two days last week when the Gore vert would have been 280' without the Gondi. There was definitely some significant ROI this holiday for all hills with enclosed lifts.

The gondi makes more sense the way it is now at Gore vs going to the summit. Gondolas should serve all levels, not just experts. Beginners are often young children and protection from the wind is important. The way the Gore gondi is set now is good, especially if you don't like waiting in lift lines.

I have no hands on knowledge of Bell as I've never been but I'm thinking a Chondola may have been a good choice. Skis on in the winter for those that prefer that and Gondy cabins for summer events and the bad weather days. Sunday River's Chondola is popular at only about 1150 vertical. The K1 at Killington is their most popular lift at about 1650 vert, with a lot of runout. I would say give it a chance and I think most skiers will like it. But most here will likely not. I may try to hit Bell in a couple weeks as I hope to be in the area.

-I am never a fan of having to take my skis off for a gondola or tram
    I generally agree, though if it's a long enough ride it's a lot more tolerable.

Taking off your skis for the 3 second lift ride at Belleayre, however, is just laughable.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Honestly, my only issue with gondolas is lifties often struggle when it's busy to fill cabins to capacity and they tend to go on windhold more frequently than chairs.

The whole whining about taking skis off thing, I just find amusing. Sure, we all have preferences, but is the twenty seconds to click in and out of skis that much of a pain? Or is it the walking with skis in hand while waiting in line? This might be the king of skiing related "first world problems."

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    The whole whining about taking skis off thing, I just find amusing. Sure, we all have preferences, but is the twenty seconds to click in and out of skis that much of a pain? Or is it the walking with skis in hand while waiting in line? This might be the king of skiing related "first world problems."
    I used to like gondolas until bubble chairs came around. Taking your skis off isn't that big of a deal but when there's an alternative that offers similar benefits without having to do that, it makes it seem a little worse. I mostly ski midweek and like to just ski directly up to the lift without having to stop when possible. Plus most of my gondola experience has been at Loon, where a 4 person gondola seems somewhat inefficient compared to 8 seaters at Stowe/Gore/Killington/etc.

The windhold and the value of an enclosed lift are opposite sides of the same thing. The more wind protection you get the more susceptible they are to windhold. Bubble chairs are a good compromise because it is usually your face that is really in danger of frostbite.

I'm not badly out of shape, but I'm pushing 60 and getting the second tele ski on isn't always easy for me. 20 seconds is a dream. At least tele boots are comfortable and I don't have to buckle/unbuckle my boots.

How long is the Belle gondi ride in minutes?
    Last edited by Harvey; Jan 2, 2018 at 9:13 PM.

Thread Information