Question to the frequent "flyers" with skis, do you check-in online? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I prefer to never check my boots, I carry them on. If the airline looses my skis, I can rent for a day or so. But my boots are another story, one piece of equipment I always want to be my own.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
    I read that as even though it is 2 bags, it only counts as 1 as long as it's just your boots in the 2nd bag.
    yes, that is the policy. however my personal experience is stuffing your ski and boot bags full of other stuff doesn't present a problem. i've had 2 pairs of skis in a single ski bag and stuff my transpack boot bag with base layers, helmet, gloves, googles and anything else that could fill every possible crevice and still only paid the $25 fee (each way). your mileage may vary.

pro tip (as mentioned above) - if you can curbside check and tip the guy you won't have any issue at all with your bags / fees.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2017/18
    Breck - 12/22 1/6 1/7 2/3 2/10 2/25 3/3 3/17 3/25
    Keystone - 12/26 3/30
    Beaver Creek - 1/20 3/26
    Vail - 3/27

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    pro tip (as mentioned above) - if you can curbside check and tip the guy you won't have any issue at all with your bags / fees.
    For that specifically, Iíll tip a $20. Havenít had an issue yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    For that specifically, Iíll tip a $20. Havenít had an issue yet.
    A $20 tip has sometimes made the curbside checked skis to suddenly be comped. Definitely this is the way to go.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

I am flying Norwegian, Aer Lingus and Swiss Air this week. Swiss is the only one that lets you check in online, which is just an email sent to you. I am finishing up a study abroad so I will have 2 bags to check in for 2 of those flights.

I would only bring my boots onboard a flight if I know the gate is near the curb. My last flight out of JFK was to SLC and Delta put us at a gate 0.9 miles from the curb where we checked in, and we where not the furthest gate. I would arrive at the gate with a soar back.

I flew with skis for the first time in a very long time this trip. Southwest was great. The ticket prices were a tad more than the discount carriers but after you check ski bags it ended up being cheaper than Frontier / Spirit / Allegient.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I flew with skis for the first time in a very long time this trip. Southwest was great. The ticket prices were a tad more than the discount carriers but after you check ski bags it ended up being cheaper than Frontier / Spirit / Allegient.
    not to side track this thread but i will NEVER fly spirit airlines again.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2017/18
    Breck - 12/22 1/6 1/7 2/3 2/10 2/25 3/3 3/17 3/25
    Keystone - 12/26 3/30
    Beaver Creek - 1/20 3/26
    Vail - 3/27

This thread has me worried. I am moving back to New York after a semester abroad and have to bring 2 checked bags on 2 flights on 2 airlines with a 2 day stopover in Dublin.

Also don't eat airport sushi. I had a friend do that last week for our trip to Zermatt and spend it all sick. I saw 2 more people eating sushi in Zurich today and both were clearly not good.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    I prefer to never check my boots, I carry them on. If the airline looses my skis, I can rent for a day or so. But my boots are another story, one piece of equipment I always want to be my own.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Exactly, boots are too important to be lost, I would not want to ski a week in rental boots. I don't take skis out west anyway, rent or demo and carry on your boots and there is no chance of them losing your shit. I don't want to use my east coast skis out west anyway.

Thread Information