Question to the frequent "flyers" with skis, do you check-in online? - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    This thread has me worried. I am moving back to New York after a semester abroad and have to bring 2 checked bags on 2 flights on 2 airlines with a 2 day stopover in Dublin.
    Don't worry about this if your traveling any of the mainline (Lufthansa, AirFrance, TAP, LOT, Alitalia, BA, Aer Lingus, etc) European airlines into Dublin. If your on one of the low cost carriers (EasyJet or similar) than you will have to pay for the checked luggage. For the Dublin to US flight its an international flight so you can check pretty large and pretty heavy bags (50kg or less per bag I think). There most likely won't be any extra fee for this unless you are flying one of the US carriers home. The US carriers will charge you something like 25$ for the first bag and 75$ for the second bag, unless you are booked into premium economy or have airline status.

Either way the process inside the EU and from the EU to the US is usually really good.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    not to side track this thread but i will NEVER fly spirit airlines again.
    Spirit sucks - BUT - if you know the rules you can get decent flights. ANd it's good if you can avoid a connection since they won''t give you any kind of compensation for a missed flight.

That said, I have flown round trip with the family on Spirit to Myrtle Beach for under $100 before from Boston , direct flight, with no bags, and that works out OK.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Also don't eat airport sushi. I had a friend do that last week for our trip to Zermatt and spend it all sick. I saw 2 more people eating sushi in Zurich today and both were clearly not good.
    At the Zurich airport?
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    At the Zurich airport?
    Yes. And it was from a bar, not a Japanese place. It looked a little brown on the outside.

"Do not eat the sushi", has been a lifelong policy for me. If I want worms, I'll dig for them!
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    For that specifically, I’ll tip a $20. Haven’t had an issue yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckstah View Post
    A $20 tip has sometimes made the curbside checked skis to suddenly be comped. Definitely this is the way to go.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Walking up to curbside with a bunch of BIG ski gear bags, and a $20 visibly out in my hand, has never resulted in an extra bag and/or overweight baggage fee in my travels! Same things works when traveling with any big bag, golf bag, etc., in my experiences....
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '07-'18 seasons: 567 Days

A $20 tip has sometimes made the curbside checked skis to suddenly be comped. Definitely this is the way to go.
    But the bag fee is only $25. A $5 saving (unless there’re multiple ski bags)

Question to the frequent "flyers" with skis, do you check-in online?

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    But the bag fee is only $25. A $5 saving (unless there’re multiple ski bags)
    For me the tip is to ensure the bag is attended to properly and sent to the right place. Anything like waived charges would be icing on the cake and not something I’d expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    For me the tip is to ensure the bag is attended to properly and sent to the right place. Anything like waived charges would be icing on the cake and not something I’d expect.
    This. And to make sure they don,t weigh the ski/boot bag as one and charge a hefty overweight bag charge. I stuff both bags full of jackets, gloves etc.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

This. And to make sure they don,t weigh the ski/boot bag as one and charge a hefty overweight bag charge. I stuff both bags full of jackets, gloves etc.
    At the United bag drop at United, there’s a scale you can try your bags on.

I didn’t need to try though. I have a Sportube single, into which I squeeze two pairs of skis ( binding removed & put in the boot bag), plus spare jackets and gloves, my bag came to 47 pounds. BUT, my boots are NOT in that package (it’s in my carry-on)
    Last edited by abc; Jan 5, 2018 at 9:10 AM.

Thread Information