Question to the frequent "flyers" with skis, do you check-in online?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question to the frequent "flyers" with skis, do you check-in online?

Although I've flown with skis many times, I haven't quite got this one completely figured out yet...

When I check-in online, I've always been asked how many bags I'm checking. But since I'm checking both ski bag and boot bag, not all the airline have the smart to handle that on their check-in web sites to recognize that's just 1 bag, not two... (some airline, I forgot which one, has a "sporting equipment" category that handles that well. But that's more the exception than the rule)

I've tried putting 1 bag on the form. Sometimes that works fine. I walk up to the bag drop and she rips up the pre-printed 1 bag tag and reprinted 2 bag tags without charging me extra. Other times, it was a good 5-10 minutes struggle on the agent's part to get the computer to do that!

Having encountered such hassle more than once, I've since skipped online check-in in favor of using the kiosk at the airport, which seems to be a bit better than the online version. At least I haven't gotten that "struggle" at the bag drop again since.

But maybe things has improved? When I travel without skis, it's just so much nicer being able to just drop my regular bag without a hitch.

It's 1 bag. You can check in online and just select 1 bag for your boot bag & ski bag. I always fly United, and I've not had a problem.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I fly southwest so you have to check in online as that's how they determine boarding. It doesn't ask anything about bags.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app
    104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

For flying and skiing, Im a big fan of curbside check-in. Usually less of a line outside and you get rid of your bags quickly.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I always fly United, and I've not had a problem.
    That’s good to know. I’m also flying United.

jetblue - 1 bag fee covers the ski bag and boot bag. if i recall delta had that same policy.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2017/18
    Breck - 12/22 1/6 1/7
    Keystone - 12/26

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    jetblue - 1 bag fee covers the ski bag and boot bag. if i recall delta had that same policy.
    And you check in as 1 bag?

I am flying Jet Blue for the first time with skis this winter.

Most airlines allow you to check in online or via app and NOT select bags to check at that time. I'd use that then check into kiosk at airport to add bags to your reservation.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    And you check in as 1 bag?

I am flying Jet Blue for the first time with skis this winter.
    yes 1 ski bag + boot bag = 1 checked bag fee $25

Ski and snowboard equipment are accepted on flights EXCEPT flights to/from the Dominican Republic.

There is no additional charge for ski and snowboard equipment; however, one item of equipment will count as one of your checked bags. Skis and snowboards are exempt from the standard size requirements (62") but should still follow weight and other equipment guidelines.

One item of ski equipment is considered:

One pair of skis, with one pair of ski boots and one pair of ski poles. (Please note: ski boots, if packed separately from skiing equipment, must be in a ski boot bag to be considered part of the one piece of checked baggage) or;
    One snowboard, with one pair of snowboard boots. (Please note: snowboard boots, if packed separately from snowboarding equipment, must be in a snow boot bag to be considered part of the one piece of checked baggage). Also note, customers will be charged an excess baggage fee if the snowboard exceeds our checked baggage weight requirements.
    The equipment must be checked in at the ticket counter. All ski or snowboard equipment must be in a sturdy container for protection since we do not provide ski boxes.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2017/18
    Breck - 12/22 1/6 1/7
    Keystone - 12/26

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    yes 1 ski bag + boot bag = 1 checked bag fee $25
    I read that as even though it is 2 bags, it only counts as 1 as long as it's just your boots in the 2nd bag.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app
    104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

Thread Information