• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Question to the frequent "flyers" with skis, do you check-in online?

abc

Although I've flown with skis many times, I haven't quite got this one completely figured out yet...

When I check-in online, I've always been asked how many bags I'm checking. But since I'm checking both ski bag and boot bag, not all the airline have the smart to handle that on their check-in web sites to recognize that's just 1 bag, not two... (some airline, I forgot which one, has a "sporting equipment" category that handles that well. But that's more the exception than the rule)

I've tried putting 1 bag on the form. Sometimes that works fine. I walk up to the bag drop and she rips up the pre-printed 1 bag tag and reprinted 2 bag tags without charging me extra. Other times, it was a good 5-10 minutes struggle on the agent's part to get the computer to do that!

Having encountered such hassle more than once, I've since skipped online check-in in favor of using the kiosk at the airport, which seems to be a bit better than the online version. At least I haven't gotten that "struggle" at the bag drop again since.

But maybe things has improved? When I travel without skis, it's just so much nicer being able to just drop my regular bag without a hitch.

BenedictGomez

It's 1 bag. You can check in online and just select 1 bag for your boot bag & ski bag. I always fly United, and I've not had a problem.

Edd

For flying and skiing, I’m a big fan of curbside check-in. Usually less of a line outside and you get rid of your bags quickly.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

gmcunni

jetblue - 1 bag fee covers the ski bag and boot bag. if i recall delta had that same policy.

gmcunni

And you check in as 1 bag?

I am flying Jet Blue for the first time with skis this winter.

yes 1 ski bag + boot bag = 1 checked bag fee $25

Ski and snowboard equipment are accepted on flights EXCEPT flights to/from the Dominican Republic.

There is no additional charge for ski and snowboard equipment; however, one item of equipment will count as one of your checked bags. Skis and snowboards are exempt from the standard size requirements (62") but should still follow weight and other equipment guidelines.

One item of ski equipment is considered:

One pair of skis, with one pair of ski boots and one pair of ski poles. (Please note: ski boots, if packed separately from skiing equipment, must be in a ski boot bag to be considered part of the one piece of checked baggage) or;
One snowboard, with one pair of snowboard boots. (Please note: snowboard boots, if packed separately from snowboarding equipment, must be in a snow boot bag to be considered part of the one piece of checked baggage). Also note, customers will be charged an excess baggage fee if the snowboard exceeds our checked baggage weight requirements.
The equipment must be checked in at the ticket counter. All ski or snowboard equipment must be in a sturdy container for protection since we do not provide ski boxes.

gmcunni

I read that as even though it is 2 bags, it only counts as 1 as long as it's just your boots in the 2nd bag.

yes, that is the policy. however my personal experience is stuffing your ski and boot bags full of other stuff doesn't present a problem. i've had 2 pairs of skis in a single ski bag and stuff my transpack boot bag with base layers, helmet, gloves, googles and anything else that could fill every possible crevice and still only paid the $25 fee (each way). your mileage may vary.

pro tip (as mentioned above) - if you can curbside check and tip the guy you won't have any issue at all with your bags / fees.

Edd

pro tip (as mentioned above) - if you can curbside check and tip the guy you won't have any issue at all with your bags / fees.

For that specifically, I’ll tip a $20. Haven’t had an issue yet.

benski

I am flying Norwegian, Aer Lingus and Swiss Air this week. Swiss is the only one that lets you check in online, which is just an email sent to you. I am finishing up a study abroad so I will have 2 bags to check in for 2 of those flights.

I would only bring my boots onboard a flight if I know the gate is near the curb. My last flight out of JFK was to SLC and Delta put us at a gate 0.9 miles from the curb where we checked in, and we where not the furthest gate. I would arrive at the gate with a soar back.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I flew with skis for the first time in a very long time this trip. Southwest was great. The ticket prices were a tad more than the discount carriers but after you check ski bags it ended up being cheaper than Frontier / Spirit / Allegient.

gmcunni

I flew with skis for the first time in a very long time this trip. Southwest was great. The ticket prices were a tad more than the discount carriers but after you check ski bags it ended up being cheaper than Frontier / Spirit / Allegient.

not to side track this thread but i will NEVER fly spirit airlines again.

benski

This thread has me worried. I am moving back to New York after a semester abroad and have to bring 2 checked bags on 2 flights on 2 airlines with a 2 day stopover in Dublin.

benski

Also don't eat airport sushi. I had a friend do that last week for our trip to Zermatt and spend it all sick. I saw 2 more people eating sushi in Zurich today and both were clearly not good.

skiur

I prefer to never check my boots, I carry them on. If the airline looses my skis, I can rent for a day or so. But my boots are another story, one piece of equipment I always want to be my own.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Exactly, boots are too important to be lost, I would not want to ski a week in rental boots. I don't take skis out west anyway, rent or demo and carry on your boots and there is no chance of them losing your shit. I don't want to use my east coast skis out west anyway.