• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Broken Edge Help

gnardawg

Broke an edge this past weekend at Sunday River. Its right under my foot and directional the right way. I've never had this happen to me and SR said they could repair it but would take over a week. Forgot to ask how much it is was. Does anyone know how much something like that typically is to repair?

The ski I broke is a 2014 Volkl Bridge - with about 80 days on them.

I'm considering doing a few things:

1. Pay for the repair and ski on it
2. Ski on it broken and wait for it to fully break and but a new pair
3. Try and fix it myself if it's to expensive
http://www.newschoolers.com/news/read/How-Fix-Broken-Edge

djd66

Don't waste your money on a pair of 3 y/o skis that has 80 days on them. If you want to save some money - there are plenty of good deals out there on used demo skis.

SkiFanE

To me 80 days is nothing - mine get about 200 before I'll begin to think about new ones. Or else I'd be buying every 1.5 years, don't have that kind of $.

If its safe to ski - get it fixed. I don't know why it would take a week (are they backed up or need supplies?). Get a price. My current tail edge is sticking out last half inch. I took it to Buster at Ski Depot near SR - he fixed it while giving me a tune. Warned it probably wouldn't last but give it a shot. It lasted a few days (probably give up these skis after this year boohoo). But the entire tune and fix cost $35. We are Ski Depot fans and if Buster can't fix it no one can. I only hear good things about SR work - they just may be busier and cost more.

Jully

To me 80 days is nothing - mine get about 200 before I'll begin to think about new ones. Or else I'd be buying every 1.5 years, don't have that kind of $.

If its safe to ski - get it fixed. I don't know why it would take a week (are they backed up or need supplies?). Get a price. My current tail edge is sticking out last half inch. I took it to Buster at Ski Depot near SR - he fixed it while giving me a tune. Warned it probably wouldn't last but give it a shot. It lasted a few days (probably give up these skis after this year boohoo). But the entire tune and fix cost $35. We are Ski Depot fans and if Buster can't fix it no one can. I only hear good things about SR work - they just may be busier and cost more.

Also like the ski depot though never gotten major repair done there.

I second your thought about the age of skis. 3 years old and 80 days is pretty young! I would try to salvage them at least until the end of this season. Buying skis now would suck. Buying cheap demo skis in May, June, and July is a nice way to expand the collection though, maybe not for a daily driver though.

gnardawg

Thanks for all the replies - actually went back and looked at when I got these skis- have ~50 days on them not 80 so I'm 100% getting them fixed dropped them at my shop last night - Sun and Ski in Woburn.

1. SR said they were severely backlogged and that's why it would take a week.
2. I demoed the Head Kore 93 while i was there and can't say enough good things about them. WOW what a ski.

Broke an edge this past weekend at Sunday River. Its right under my foot and directional the right way. I've never had this happen to me and SR said they could repair it but would take over a week. Forgot to ask how much it is was. Does anyone know how much something like that typically is to repair?

The ski I broke is a 2014 Volkl Bridge - with about 80 days on them.

I'm considering doing a few things:

1. Pay for the repair and ski on it
2. Ski on it broken and wait for it to fully break and but a new pair
3. Try and fix it myself if it's to expensive
http://www.newschoolers.com/news/read/How-Fix-Broken-Edge

gnardawg

I will - pretty sure they're past the warranty and I doubt they'd consider a base gouge and edge break something under warranty but I don't know. i actually ended up with the repair being done and The Ski & Sport Shack in Stoneham. Seeing how it goes. I'll post a before and after picture.

I was talking with a guy on the lift today. He had an issue with a pair of skis, warranty issue, last year. Went inside the shop at Sunday River. Didn't buy them there, but they took a look. Determined it was a warranty issue and after a call to Volkl, the guy walked out with new skis, leaving his old ones there. Maybe taking them to the shop for warranty issue will net you a free repair or replacement.

Whatever happens,let us know about repair/ replacement results.