Rain on Friday......Grrrrrr - Page 20

AlpineZone

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    Probably a dumb question, but I could't figure it out easily... do they only have Burlington VT area? Is there an option for NH?

Also, I know the mountains mostly by resort name, any good way to equate that with the actual mountain names found on that site?
    This is from the Burlington NWS office, so they only have the mountains within their coverage area. The NH mountains are mostly covered by the Portland NWS office. They don't seem to offer the same exact enhanced mountain forecasts (at least yet).

As for mountain names to ski areas...

Mt Ellen - Sugarbush
    Mt Mansfield - Stowe
    Jay Peak - Jay
    Killington Peak - Killington
    Ludlow Peak - Okemo

Once you get further south in VT you enter the Albany NWS office territory. A quick look at their website doesn't show the enhanced mountain point forecasts either that the Burlington office offers.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    I am surprised by how much snow we lost here in northern Vermont. The Burke webcam now shows a lot of grass at the base of the Mid-Burke Express.
    I see a lot of bare ground around the base of the Castlerock lift at Sugarbush in the webcam view. Can't really tell much about the mountain itself as there's not too many good views of it from any of their webcams. A view from across the valley shows a lot of grass in the valley itself. The mountain trails are still white from that view, but it is so far away that there could be bare spots that you can't see from that distance. MRG's cam shows a decent amount of snow loss too.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    I am surprised by how much snow we lost here in northern Vermont.
    Was it really foggy last night / today?
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Anytime widespread fog is in the forecast, the sublimation effect on top of the rain and air temp melted is viscous to the snowpack, especially the natural snowpack!!

Less than 12hrs and we're back to below freezing temps over most all of ski country.

Fire up the guns, and let's see who's systems have the muscle to recover quickest!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

'17 - '18 Season:
    November: 12,18,19,24,26 (Mount Snow)
    December: 2,3,10,16,17,23,26,29,20,31 (Mount Snow) 9 (Stratton)
    January: 1,6,7,14,20,26,28 (Mount Snow) 15 (Willard) 27 (Stratton)
    February: 3 (Bromley) 4 (The Hermitage) 9,10,24 (Stratton) 11,17,19,20 (Mount Snow) 18 (Magic) 25 (Pico)
    March: 3,4,5 (Middlebury) 10 (Bromley) 11 (Magic) 17.18 (Gunstock) 24,25,26,30,31 (Mount Snow)
    April: 1,7,8,22 (Mount Snow)

Just looked at the 24 hour timelapse of the summit snow stake webcam at Sugarbush...yikes!

About to head out on the road to Wilmington on Operation Beat Incoming 32F.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    The carnage is bad!

Im going next week. I'll watch ski movies and take care of a 10 hour online course I need to finish while the wife rests off her cold. I imagine the roads will be no fun..at ...all.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Was it really foggy last night / today?
    Not so much today (at least here at a lower elevation), but definitely last night and into the early morning hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    Probably a dumb question, but I could't figure it out easily... do they only have Burlington VT area? Is there an option for NH?

Also, I know the mountains mostly by resort name, any good way to equate that with the actual mountain names found on that site?
    No mountain forecast, but the other offices do have the winter maps.

http://www.weather.gov/gyx/winter

BTV - for Vermont
    GYX - for Maine NH
    BOX - for MA
    ALY - for NY and western MA

Thread Information