• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rain on Friday......Grrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornhead

Jay is looking pretty sweet today, my buddy Dick is there now. He likes sticking his poles in drifts. A little misleading? Sure, but looks sweet nonetheless.
1580fb6719f5a33bed97d260522945c8.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Awesome! Can't wait!

Well, even if this weekend doesn't pan out, there is some good news. All that, "back half of January warm up" talk you've been hearing about is going to die. There'll be a few warm days this week, but nothing as dramatic as was depicted just a week ago. A week ago people though we could have 10 to 20 warm days. Aint happening.

Whitey

Right before and leading into MLK weekend. Resorts can't catch a break!

WTF? I went to Sunday River last year on MLK weekend and it sucked because they were coming off of a rain/thaw/freeze cycle. So of course I booked a 4 day weekend there again this year and thought I was looking good for this weekend up until a couple of days ago. Now I am looking at skiing in rain, then freezing rain, then it freezing up and skiing an ice rink for the last 2 days.

Jully

WTF? I went to Sunday River last year on MLK weekend and it sucked because they were coming off of a rain/thaw/freeze cycle. So of course I booked a 4 day weekend there again this year and thought I was looking good for this weekend up until a couple of days ago. Now I am looking at skiing in rain, then freezing rain, then it freezing up and skiing an ice rink for the last 2 days.

So next year you're guaranteed a 20" storm on the Sunday of MLK weekend.

Jully

Well, even if this weekend doesn't pan out, there is some good news. All that, "back half of January warm up" talk you've been hearing about is going to die. There'll be a few warm days this week, but nothing as dramatic as was depicted just a week ago. A week ago people though we could have 10 to 20 warm days. Aint happening.

Thank goodness. I'm lucky enough to be escaping the worst of this at Tremblant this weekend too. Just have to hope areas get some natural quick so the woods and natural trails can recover.

This won't be our 10 days of 70 degree weather in February last year! Though there is a lot of winter left for that to happen...

BenedictGomez

I'm lucky enough to be escaping the worst of this at Tremblant this weekend too.

Totally forgot about Tremblant.

Yeah, that looks like it will be the best place to be this weekend if you can go anywhere.

Especially after this terrible 12z run. I hope this changes a lot once the storm hits the land.

tnt1234

There was some talk of a big storm the weekend after MLK - still seeing that? I could possibly postpone my 1/18-19 trip to 1/22-23. Wondering if it would be worth it.

tnt1234

^ There are hints of shots on goal, but they're so far out it's not worth getting excited about yet.

Yeah...looking at the GFS, that Sun>mon action looks like a gamble at best - another 'rain>snow' thing if we're lucky.

Probably stick to original dates and just realize Mt. Snow with their snow making to refresh things might be the smarter place to ski.

machski

Thank goodness. I'm lucky enough to be escaping the worst of this at Tremblant this weekend too. Just have to hope areas get some natural quick so the woods and natural trails can recover.

This won't be our 10 days of 70 degree weather in February last year! Though there is a lot of winter left for that to happen...
We thought about Tremblant this weekend. But they will be getting the R word Thursday as well, maybe into Friday. Then it looks like single digits all weekend. Hopefully for you they get snow on Saturday but that is a low probability forecast right now. I looked at MSA and even up there, same deal. Sucks when artic weeks swing too far the other way.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

We thought about Tremblant this weekend. But they will be getting the R word Thursday as well, maybe into Friday. Then it looks like single digits all weekend. Hopefully for you they get snow on Saturday but that is a low probability forecast right now. I looked at MSA and even up there, same deal. Sucks when artic weeks swing too far the other way.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Definitely upsetting that they're getting some rain. A decent amount of snow for Saturday looks likely though. I would not be heading up there this weekend if it were not a pre-planned trip. Conditions will be better (I hope) than most of NE, but not 6.5 hours + border crossing better haha.

BenedictGomez

We thought about Tremblant this weekend. But they will be getting the R word Thursday as well, maybe into Friday. Then it looks like single digits all weekend.

You're leaving out the part about getting hammered with 8 (Canuck) to 13 (GFS) inches of snow from Friday night into early Sunday morning.

slatham

At the moment, with what we know, New Hampshire is not where you want to be, although yes, the farther north in NH the better from 2pm'ish Saturday on with snow. If you could ski anywhere this weekend and had to pull the trigger now, Jay Peak or Whiteface would be the choices based solely on the models. That said, if the Euro is correct, canceling is probably the best option. The fist model runs post the energy reaching land will be critical.

EDIT: Just noticed the 12z has initialized. No whammys.....move eastward....no whammys.... STOP!

EDIT2: Ummmmm....well..... lets hope the 12z GFS run is wrong, because it's way worse than the last 2 runs and it's soul-sucking for MLK weekend. :(

YEs, 12z GFS looks worse than earlier runs, but the Euro did shift the low track a bit further east. But it needs to move further east and I am just not sure if its going to. Models have been fairly consistent taking it up the Appalachians to the west of NE. If things are going to change then need to in the next run or two.

BenedictGomez

Yes the latest runs are not good for anywhere.

They're not bad for Jully.

Bad to horrific for everywhere else.

Worse the south you go. C.VT, much of NH would see tons of rain and/or frozen rain.

Every color in the rainbow Saturday morning!

Yuck.jpg

Sooooo.......yeah..... lets hope this changes.

VTKilarney

Between the cold and rain this has not been a good start to the season for us gainfully employed weekend skiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.