• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rain on Friday......Grrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlr8r

Anyone think Loon has any chance of having the storm change over to snow for Saturday to be worth it. I figure Sunday will be jammed because of Holiday weekend, but Saturday might be a sneaky good day if it changes to snow early, and the crowds stay away because of the forecast. I am Maxing it so my day trip options are really just Sunapee and Loon this weekend

Cornhead

Looks like I better stay home this weekend. Possible ice jam flooding on the Susquehanna. I live on the Susquehanna. What's worse than being flooded in July? Being flooded in January. With the cold coming in after the front passes through, burst pipes are inevitable if they aren't drained, or kept above freezing. Yay! Have fun Benedict Arnold.

P.S.
I hope Whiteface gets buried. My buddy Dick will be able to enjoy it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

So....first time ever planned a Jay peak trip for 3 days over MLK weekend. Was so looking forward to hitting this area as it's one of a handful in NE I've never skied. While we had free tix for Friday, we're blowing off that day and plan to just ski 3 days Sat-Mon. What are thoughts? Seems like many comments say Jay will escape the worst, but I'm guessing w an inch of rain on Friday, then heavy snow, flash freeze to 0 degrees by Sunday it won't be anything to write home about.

Help talk me off this ledge.....

kingslug

Screw it. Since I'm going up there for as whole week on the 20th, no sense in dealing with this mess. And I hope they get a foot, will need the base after this.

fbrissette

So....first time ever planned a Jay peak trip for 3 days over MLK weekend. Was so looking forward to hitting this area as it's one of a handful in NE I've never skied. While we had free tix for Friday, we're blowing off that day and plan to just ski 3 days Sat-Mon. What are thoughts? Seems like many comments say Jay will escape the worst, but I'm guessing w an inch of rain on Friday, then heavy snow, flash freeze to 0 degrees by Sunday it won't be anything to write home about.

Help talk me off this ledge.....

Jay is exactly on the knife's edge on most model runs. At this point, could be anything between nearly 100% rain, or lots of rain followed by up to 15 inches of snow.

fbrissette

Here's the ensemble from the hi-res canadian model for Sherbrooke (close to Jay).

You'll see some members with little snow and some members with icing rain and ice pellets.

Capture.jpg

drjeff

I was going to try and get a couple of runs in first thing Saturday morning at Mount Snow before heading down to the Patriots game in Foxboro on Sunday evening... That was predicated on the cold air not arriving before say 9 AM so I could get out before any questionable road icing may happen.... Cold air looks to be working in just about dawn on Saturday.... Not worth the novelty of logging a couple of quick runs to risk some icy/slick roads to have another day where I both ski and see a game in Gillette Stadium (done that about 3 or 4 times in the past)...

The good thing is with the cold air arriving first thing, hopefully a bunch of people will get out on at least the groomers as the temps drop quickly throughout the day and keep working the surface as it starts to dry and set...

Bottom line that that resorts across the East are going to be burning LOTS of diesel in the cats Saturday evening and firing up the guns in many places as soon as the wet bulb temps get favorable!! Gore-tex and Goggles day on Saturday for sure!!

Smellytele

I was going to try and get a couple of runs in first thing Saturday morning at Mount Snow before heading down to the Patriots game in Foxboro on Sunday evening... That was predicated on the cold air not arriving before say 9 AM so I could get out before any questionable road icing may happen.... Cold air looks to be working in just about dawn on Saturday.... Not worth the novelty of logging a couple of quick runs to risk some icy/slick roads to have another day where I both ski and see a game in Gillette Stadium (done that about 3 or 4 times in the past)...

The good thing is with the cold air arriving first thing, hopefully a bunch of people will get out on at least the groomers as the temps drop quickly throughout the day and keep working the surface as it starts to dry and set...

Bottom line that that resorts across the East are going to be burning LOTS of diesel in the cats Saturday evening and firing up the guns in many places as soon as the wet bulb temps get favorable!! Gore-tex and Goggles day on Saturday for sure!!

Um Patriots game is Saturday night

drjeff

Um Patriots game is Saturday night

Yup, I'm aware, just mis-typed!

My orginal plan was up to VT Friday night, ski from 7:30 until 8:30 Saturday morning, home to my house in CT by noon, load the car for tailgating and get to the lots at Gillette for 3:30, watch the game, get home to CT about 1AM or so, sleep, leave for VT about 9 Sunday morning, skiing at Mount Snow by 1 for a couple of hours, then off to Willard Mtn outside of Albany on Monday where both of my kids have a race....

The things I'll do to get some turns in! ;)

Don't need the added stress for an hour tops of skiing on Saturday AM of possibly the first 30 or so miles of my driving down and out of the mtns worrying about flash freezing and icing conditions on the roads!! I may be crazy, but I'm not insane!! LOL!

Zermatt

I'm throwing in the towel for this weekend, Pico will get destroyed tomorrow and at best will recover to 4 trails by Sunday. I'll pass. Next weekend could be good though.

BenedictGomez

Euro's out and continues to be the outlier with the best ski map for all. If it fails to be correct it will be 2 winter storms in a row it wasn't the "king" for.

SIKSKIER

Good news bad news.Definately looking better that yesterday.Tim Kelly is one of my hi rated meteoroligists.He is calling for an abrupt change in temp late Friday night as well as is Mt Wash Obs.Tims map showing about 3-6 mid Vermont trough N NH with near a foot towards the border.Unfortunately that is after some real heavy rain Friday that looks pretty certain.I'm certainly more optomistic.

gladerider

NWS is calling for 10" total at whiteface by saturday evening. i will take that, thank you.
we will see how much damage we get from 1"+ rain

BenedictGomez

NWS is calling for 10" total at whiteface by saturday evening. i will take that, thank you.
we will see how much damage we get from 1"+ rain

Where do you see that? That's bold at this point given all the variables. I guess they felt with not much more than 24 hours left, they needed to go out with something, but it's been pretty obvious most forecasters have been dragging their feet with going public on this one (cant blame them).

Status
Not open for further replies.