Rain on Friday......Grrrrrr - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    This one is really not a north south thing in New England.Its very much an east west thing with the storm tracking pretty much northerly and west of New England.Not good.

SIKSKIER

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Fracking inland runners.....

12z Canadian is an absolute disaster for everyone. Pushing 60 degrees 8pm Friday night in central Vermont, then it's 28 degrees at 8am after all that rain and ice. Lets hope that one's night right. lol

President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by SIKSKIER View Post
    This one is really not a north south thing in New England.Its very much an east west thing with the storm tracking pretty much northerly and west of New England.Not good.
    The cold air that could potentially invade and hopefully come to the rescue is coming from the north. But it may not make it in time to catch the precipitation that you noted is moving west/east'ish. If it does, it currently looks like it may only make it in time for those northernmost areas.

Here's a gif I made of the GFS showing the cold air spilling down. My first attempt at making a gif!

Last edited by BenedictGomez; Jan 10, 2018 at 10:19 AM.

Want to fell better. This may not but I cancelled a trip to Vail on the 20th..and ate the 1600.00 bucks. Warm , all manmade, cold at night..icy groomers. Screw that. Going to Stowe, Smuggs, Jay. Will probably spend less on that whole trip than hanging around Vail for a week.
    Try skiing in the rain until it just plain sux. Get some runs in. The bubble lifts are a nice way to get up the hill. Make the best of it. Driving north is always an option if its better.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

^ Man, I'm really sorry to hear that, that's awful . I had no idea Colorado was suffering so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Between the cold and rain this has not been a good start to the season for us gainfully employed weekend skiers.
    You say this virtually every year.

I've had a light start to my season due to injury and work commitments. Been out 6 days, all weekend days. 1 was poor, 2 good, 2 very good and 1 exceptional.

50+" of snow in December for much of ski country with consistently cold weather is nothing to sneeze at. Lines that aren't skiable until late January were in play by 3rd week of December. November started a hair late, but by Thanksgiving had way above average acreage open for New England.

I completely disagree that this has been a bad start to the season. I'll take a first two months like we just had every year.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Rain on Friday......Grrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Want to fell better. This may not but I cancelled a trip to Vail on the 20th..and ate the 1600.00 bucks. Warm , all manmade, cold at night..icy groomers. Screw that. Going to Stowe, Smuggs, Jay. Will probably spend less on that whole trip than hanging around Vail for a week.
    Try skiing in the rain until it just plain sux. Get some runs in. The bubble lifts are a nice way to get up the hill. Make the best of it. Driving north is always an option if its better.
    Yeah. I'm losing $2k for the lodging and lift tickets for the 3 of us. Makes me sick but going there will make me more miserable and cost even more. Would be happier at home doing things locally. Theres nothing of interest IMO in central Vermont. Cutting my loses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta say I'm surprised there are people on this forum that would rather lose thousands of dollars than ski in the rain or on a little bit of ice. Can't say I have ever regretted going on a ski trip, regardless of the snow of weather conditions. My advice is go and you'll be happy you did.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    You say this virtually every year.

I've had a light start to my season due to injury and work commitments. Been out 6 days, all weekend days. 1 was poor, 2 good, 2 very good and 1 exceptional.

50+" of snow in December for much of ski country with consistently cold weather is nothing to sneeze at. Lines that aren't skiable until late January were in play by 3rd week of December. November started a hair late, but by Thanksgiving had way above average acreage open for New England.

I completely disagree that this has been a bad start to the season. I'll take a first two months like we just had every year.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    I agree with this. I have 15 days skiing and most have been pretty good. R@!^ is coming later this year than last. With last year it was great up to Christmas then it got shitty for a few weeks. This year the R@!^ is almost 3 weeks later. The cold only kept me from skiing 1 day so far this year and I am a weekend warrior.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

Thread Information