Rain on Friday......Grrrrrr - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    As far as this being a bad start to the season...I view it two ways. From a cold and snowy perspective, it's been good. From the ability for the areas to do well with Holiday and weekend crowds (Christmas/MLK)...no such a great start.

Edit: Weather commentary:

What a mess this will be. Rain...followed by some really cold temps. Should make just about everything solid.

Last edited by Glenn; Jan 10, 2018 at 11:33 AM.
    "I like homemade food. I just do."

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Lets tell ourselves this is base building....

The Mt Washington Obs. imo has a very reliable forecast unfortunately.Here is theirs through Sat morning.Uhhg!
    By early Thursday morning, temperatures will climb above the freezing mark at all elevations, resulting in plain rain throughout the White Mountains Region along with thick summit fog as warmer air traverses the deep snowpack. Winds will pick up rapidly through the overnight hours as well thanks to transitioning systems and a tightening pressure gradient over New England, with sustained winds falling just shy of hurricane force. Dreary conditions will prevail through the day Thursday with some breaks in fog possible at times as the region falls in a warm sector with pockets of drier air occasionally mixing in. The mercury stays on the increase through the day with the warmest levels being reached in the afternoon in the 40s. With strong winds transporting warm fog over the snowpack, significant melting will occur which will combine with continued rain showers to cause substantial trail runoff and possible flooding in neighboring ravines. Plumes of tropical moisture will feed into New England by the conclusion of the forecast period, resulting in heavier rainfall by the wee hours of Friday morning which will continue into the weekend
    SIKSKIER

Quote Originally Posted by SIKSKIER View Post
    The Mt Washington Obs. imo has a very reliable forecast unfortunately.Here is theirs through Sat morning.Uhhg!
    By early Thursday morning, temperatures will climb above the freezing mark at all elevations, resulting in plain rain throughout the White Mountains Region along with thick summit fog as warmer air traverses the deep snowpack. Winds will pick up rapidly through the overnight hours as well thanks to transitioning systems and a tightening pressure gradient over New England, with sustained winds falling just shy of hurricane force. Dreary conditions will prevail through the day Thursday with some breaks in fog possible at times as the region falls in a warm sector with pockets of drier air occasionally mixing in. The mercury stays on the increase through the day with the warmest levels being reached in the afternoon in the 40s. With strong winds transporting warm fog over the snowpack, significant melting will occur which will combine with continued rain showers to cause substantial trail runoff and possible flooding in neighboring ravines. Plumes of tropical moisture will feed into New England by the conclusion of the forecast period, resulting in heavier rainfall by the wee hours of Friday morning which will continue into the weekend

The 12z Euro caved to the other models and came east.

#IncrementalPositives

EDIT: Seriously though, this does have me feeling a tiny bit better as it gives me hope that additional data digestion is perhaps seeing a trend. East movement = good.

President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    The 12z Euro caved to the other models and came east.

#IncrementalPositives

EDIT: Seriously though, this does have me feeling a tiny bit better as it gives me hope that additional data digestion is perhaps seeing a trend. East movement = good.

100 Miles east would be awesome please! Come on Ma nature!

Quote Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
    100 Miles east would be awesome please! Come on Ma nature!
    That would be awfully nice.

I've been anxiously awaiting tonight's 00z runs for a few days now, that will be what drives my hotel booking (or not) decision.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I completely disagree that this has been a bad start to the season. I'll take a first two months like we just had every year.
    [/URL]
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Mind you, I didn't say that this was a bad start. I just said that it wasn't a good start. There is a difference. I realize that the snow has been ample, but there have been weekend days that I, personally, am not interested in skiing. Last weekend's cold is an example. Different strokes for different folks.

All the rivers down here are pretty frozen. Hoping for not too much liquid / heat . Could be rough for flooding?
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”

Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    ^ Man, I'm really sorry to hear that, that's awful . I had no idea Colorado was suffering so bad.
    They are up to 109 trails..better than the 35 they had. Guess they are blowing the hell out of the place. Not much falling from the sky.
    https://www.vail.com/the-mountain/mo...er-report.aspx
    58 inches for the season..thats like Stowes base
    back bowls and blue sky all closed. Hope my time in VT is better. Would be funny if my wife calls me and says its dumping while shes there.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Thread Information