• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rain on Friday......Grrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIKSKIER

This one is really not a north south thing in New England.Its very much an east west thing with the storm tracking pretty much northerly and west of New England.Not good.

BenedictGomez

12z Canadian is an absolute disaster for everyone. Pushing 60 degrees 8pm Friday night in central Vermont, then it's 28 degrees at 8am after all that rain and ice. Lets hope that one's night right. lol

Yuck.jpg

BenedictGomez

This one is really not a north south thing in New England.Its very much an east west thing with the storm tracking pretty much northerly and west of New England.Not good.

The cold air that could potentially invade and hopefully come to the rescue is coming from the north. But it may not make it in time to catch the precipitation that you noted is moving west/east'ish. If it does, it currently looks like it may only make it in time for those northernmost areas.

Here's a gif I made of the GFS showing the cold air spilling down. My first attempt at making a gif!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

kingslug

Want to fell better. This may not but I cancelled a trip to Vail on the 20th..and ate the 1600.00 bucks. Warm , all manmade, cold at night..icy groomers. Screw that. Going to Stowe, Smuggs, Jay. Will probably spend less on that whole trip than hanging around Vail for a week.
Try skiing in the rain until it just plain sux. Get some runs in. The bubble lifts are a nice way to get up the hill. Make the best of it. Driving north is always an option if its better.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Between the cold and rain this has not been a good start to the season for us gainfully employed weekend skiers.
You say this virtually every year.

I've had a light start to my season due to injury and work commitments. Been out 6 days, all weekend days. 1 was poor, 2 good, 2 very good and 1 exceptional.

50+" of snow in December for much of ski country with consistently cold weather is nothing to sneeze at. Lines that aren't skiable until late January were in play by 3rd week of December. November started a hair late, but by Thanksgiving had way above average acreage open for New England.

I completely disagree that this has been a bad start to the season. I'll take a first two months like we just had every year.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

mightaswell

Want to fell better. This may not but I cancelled a trip to Vail on the 20th..and ate the 1600.00 bucks. Warm , all manmade, cold at night..icy groomers. Screw that. Going to Stowe, Smuggs, Jay. Will probably spend less on that whole trip than hanging around Vail for a week.
Try skiing in the rain until it just plain sux. Get some runs in. The bubble lifts are a nice way to get up the hill. Make the best of it. Driving north is always an option if its better.

Yeah. I'm losing $2k for the lodging and lift tickets for the 3 of us. Makes me sick but going there will make me more miserable and cost even more. Would be happier at home doing things locally. Theres nothing of interest IMO in central Vermont. Cutting my loses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Griswold

Gotta say I'm surprised there are people on this forum that would rather lose thousands of dollars than ski in the rain or on a little bit of ice. Can't say I have ever regretted going on a ski trip, regardless of the snow of weather conditions. My advice is go and you'll be happy you did.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Smellytele

You say this virtually every year.

I've had a light start to my season due to injury and work commitments. Been out 6 days, all weekend days. 1 was poor, 2 good, 2 very good and 1 exceptional.

50+" of snow in December for much of ski country with consistently cold weather is nothing to sneeze at. Lines that aren't skiable until late January were in play by 3rd week of December. November started a hair late, but by Thanksgiving had way above average acreage open for New England.

I completely disagree that this has been a bad start to the season. I'll take a first two months like we just had every year.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

I agree with this. I have 15 days skiing and most have been pretty good. R@!^ is coming later this year than last. With last year it was great up to Christmas then it got shitty for a few weeks. This year the R@!^ is almost 3 weeks later. The cold only kept me from skiing 1 day so far this year and I am a weekend warrior.

Glenn

As far as this being a bad start to the season...I view it two ways. From a cold and snowy perspective, it's been good. From the ability for the areas to do well with Holiday and weekend crowds (Christmas/MLK)...no such a great start.

Edit: Weather commentary:

What a mess this will be. Rain...followed by some really cold temps. Should make just about everything solid.

Last edited:

SIKSKIER

The Mt Washington Obs. imo has a very reliable forecast unfortunately.Here is theirs through Sat morning.Uhhg!
By early Thursday morning, temperatures will climb above the freezing mark at all elevations, resulting in plain rain throughout the White Mountains Region along with thick summit fog as warmer air traverses the deep snowpack. Winds will pick up rapidly through the overnight hours as well thanks to transitioning systems and a tightening pressure gradient over New England, with sustained winds falling just shy of hurricane force. Dreary conditions will prevail through the day Thursday with some breaks in fog possible at times as the region falls in a warm sector with pockets of drier air occasionally mixing in. The mercury stays on the increase through the day with the warmest levels being reached in the afternoon in the 40s. With strong winds transporting warm fog over the snowpack, significant melting will occur which will combine with continued rain showers to cause substantial trail runoff and possible flooding in neighboring ravines. Plumes of tropical moisture will feed into New England by the conclusion of the forecast period, resulting in heavier rainfall by the wee hours of Friday morning which will continue into the weekend

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
The Mt Washington Obs. imo has a very reliable forecast unfortunately.Here is theirs through Sat morning.Uhhg!
By early Thursday morning, temperatures will climb above the freezing mark at all elevations, resulting in plain rain throughout the White Mountains Region along with thick summit fog as warmer air traverses the deep snowpack. Winds will pick up rapidly through the overnight hours as well thanks to transitioning systems and a tightening pressure gradient over New England, with sustained winds falling just shy of hurricane force. Dreary conditions will prevail through the day Thursday with some breaks in fog possible at times as the region falls in a warm sector with pockets of drier air occasionally mixing in. The mercury stays on the increase through the day with the warmest levels being reached in the afternoon in the 40s. With strong winds transporting warm fog over the snowpack, significant melting will occur which will combine with continued rain showers to cause substantial trail runoff and possible flooding in neighboring ravines. Plumes of tropical moisture will feed into New England by the conclusion of the forecast period, resulting in heavier rainfall by the wee hours of Friday morning which will continue into the weekend

:-(

BenedictGomez

The 12z Euro caved to the other models and came east.

#IncrementalPositives

EDIT: Seriously though, this does have me feeling a tiny bit better as it gives me hope that additional data digestion is perhaps seeing a trend. East movement = good.

hqdefault.jpg

VTKilarney

[/URL]

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Mind you, I didn't say that this was a bad start. I just said that it wasn't a good start. There is a difference. I realize that the snow has been ample, but there have been weekend days that I, personally, am not interested in skiing. Last weekend's cold is an example. Different strokes for different folks.

kingslug

^ Man, I'm really sorry to hear that, that's awful :( . I had no idea Colorado was suffering so bad.
They are up to 109 trails..better than the 35 they had. Guess they are blowing the hell out of the place. Not much falling from the sky.
https://www.vail.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/snow-and-weather-report.aspx
58 inches for the season..thats like Stowes base
back bowls and blue sky all closed. Hope my time in VT is better. Would be funny if my wife calls me and says its dumping while shes there.

Status
Not open for further replies.