most generous black diamond rating

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

most generous black diamond rating

I was at Wachusett yesterday and had never noticed that the trail below the Polar lift is rated as a black diamond even on the lower half of the mountain (Salamander Cutoff). Is this the most ludicrous black diamond around here? Honestly the headwall at Blue Hills is a more 'real' black diamond that this.

Go to stratton. Their double d's are like a blue anywhere else.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Upper Hansen Chase at Sunapee.

For a mountain of their size, Okemo has the most gentle rating system. Which is ironic because they own Created Butte which is extreme for a Colorado resort
    2014-15 - 35 ski days
    2015-16 - 40
    2016-17 - 36

Kissing Bridge double black woods were flat as a pancake.

Quote Originally Posted by nkLottery View Post
    For a mountain of their size, Okemo has the most gentle rating system. Which is ironic because they own Created Butte which is extreme for a Colorado resort
    Ever ski the Butte? It's rowdy.

Trail ratings are contained within each mountain. No national standard on what a black diamond is.

Quote Originally Posted by boston_e View Post
    Trail ratings are contained within each mountain. No national standard on what a black diamond is.
    Bingo- trail ratings are designed to show the relative difficulty of trails at a particular mountain. Black means trail is the most difficult at this mountain, etc. Double black was created 20-25 years ago to further differentiate those that fell in the black diamond category.

There is not legit way to compare mountain to mountain though there are 2 exceptions-
    1) at the bar blow-harding about your recent near-death experience on "fill-in-the-blank" trail and how trails at some other mountain just cannot compare
    2) internet forums of course

Quote Originally Posted by boston_e View Post
    Right. "So dad, a double black at Stratton is like a hard blue or easy black at Magic?" -my 9 year old

Worst rating I've ever seen was double black for Spruce at Stratton. It's got 1-2 steep pitches, otherwise its a nice cruiser. They rarely let it go au natural.

Thread Information