most generous black diamond rating - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by NY DirtBag View Post
    Right. "So dad, a double black at Stratton is like a hard blue or easy black at Magic?" -my 9 year old

Worst rating I've ever seen was double black for Spruce at Stratton. It's got 1-2 steep pitches, otherwise its a nice cruiser. They rarely let it go au natural.
    I had a Strattitude pass a few seasons ago on a killer snow year for Stratton. Spruce is very fun on ungroomed, good snow
    2014-15 - 35 ski days
    2015-16 - 40
    2016-17 - 36

I laugh when asked if I ski black runs...
    but I do find that there are double D runs such as some of the tops of Stowe's front 4 that are harder than off the grid nuthouse chutes that are so far off the charts they are not even rated. Its because they have snow on them, so I go down them, not pretty but I go down them. Some of VT's runs under the chairs are downright crazy in my opinion..yet I see kids go down them once in a while. They grew up doing it. Its all relative and really doesn't define you as a skier. There is always someone doing it better.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

One time at Cannon I rode up a lift with a dad who said he'd had to explain to his kids that, just because they were allowed to ski single blacks but not double blacks at Sunday River, that did not mean they were allowed to ski Kinsman Glade.

most generous black diamond rating

I remember a time before double blacks were a thing, in the northeast at least. Im generally blasé about DD (trail marking) but if kinsman glade and tram line and nothing else at cannon were marked DD it’d be totally appropriate IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream View Post
    I remember a time before double blacks were a thing, in the northeast at least. Im generally blasé about DD (trail marking) but if kinsman glade and tram line and nothing else at cannon were marked DD it’d be totally appropriate IMO.
    I'd say the same about Wildcat with Hairball and Starr Line. Maybe Feline too due to the big ledge at the bottom.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by nanjil View Post
    it can go other way around too. in SR they have new trail marked green. I guess it was marked because they closed a cutoff which used to interfere with racers. The green designation was to make every body feel better. Me thinks it is dangerous because the trail has lot of narrow windy curves and most likely will end up icy. Sanity will prevail and eventually it will be blue. There was a precedence at SR with a trail called "quantum leap (err.. ice)" it started as blue and now designated as double black after many years of hard experience
    True on QL, but for that there have been plenty that have gone the other way. Dreamaker was originally a blue and Jibe and Rogue Angel were originally blacks (both probably should still be as well).

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information