• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre 1-11-18: new gondi and soft snow

legalskier

Slipping out the door just before tomorrow's rain storm, I arrived mid morning for my first day here this season. I wanted to try the new gondi.
FullSizeRender(15).jpg
First ride up. It's a very smooth comfortable- and fast- ride.
FullSizeRender(27).jpg
Fog shrouded the upper mountain.
Skied a lot of vertical off this lift. Needless to say, it significantly boosts the Belle's uphill capacity and takes pressure off the Superchief chair. Mild temps softened the snow to springlike conditions, while the cloud cover prevented things from getting too warm. Applying some Zardoz to my bases helped a lot, so I turned up the throttle to carve in the soft snow. Most trails on the upper mountain were either open, or had enough snow that they could have been open (got the feeling they're saving some for the holiday weekend, e.g. Belleayre trail.) Bumps could be found on Winisook and Onteora.
FullSizeRender(31).jpg
Heading back down to the lower mountain, here's the ski bridge that spans the road to Overlook Lodge.
FullSizeRender(32).jpg
"A View from the Bridge"
The gondi re-orients the axis of the ski area more to the center of where it is on the map and spreads traffic towards the west side. Luckily for me, there wasn't much traffic at all today. Had most trails to myself, a nice sense of freedom.

raisingarizona

That chain link fence looks kind of ugly. You think they could have been a little more creative with that.

Mapnut

How was the new trail below the bridge, back to the gondola? Pretty flat?

I'd be disappointed if Dot Nebel and such trails were open but the Tomahawk chair wasn't running and I had to ski down to the gondola.

legalskier

How was the new trail below the bridge, back to the gondola? Pretty flat?
I'd be disappointed if Dot Nebel and such trails were open but the Tomahawk chair wasn't running and I had to ski down to the gondola.

The downside off the bridge has some pitch to it but not very far, then things flatten out. The trail then flows onto Iroquois near the learning area, then some more pitch down to the loading area, which is very close to the lodge.
I would think that Tomahawk lift will be running on busy days. The day I was there didn't have enough traffic to justify it- I enjoyed riding the gondi instead.

SkiRay

Either way, we plan to check out Belleayre - its been a couple of years.

legalskier

That chain link fence looks kind of ugly. You think they could have been a little more creative with that.

What kind of fencing would you have preferred? A plastic orange one perhaps? Very eye catching.

fence1.jpg

Or orange netting that's so ubiquitous these days?

fence2.jpg

Inquiring minds want to know!

skimagic

You figure if NYS can spend a few mil on a gondi, new trails, and a ski bridge, a nicer fence could be installed. Like this one, split-rail to wood lined sidewalls.Capture canyon-1.JPG

Cornhead

No one will notice the fencing on the bridge. They will be concentrating on what they will find on the blind drop just beyond the bridge. Newb yard sale, snow boarder gathering, etc.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

danimals

I didn’t even notice the fence, or think about it, until it was mentioned here.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

raisingarizona

You figure if NYS can spend a few mil on a gondi, new trails, and a ski bridge, a nicer fence could be installed. Like this one, split-rail to wood lined sidewalls.View attachment 23055

Proper planning makes such a difference in everything.

Some people don't care I guess but I do and I like good designs. The metal fencing looks terrible and cheap and has a prison/school yard feel to it. ghetto is the first word that pops into my head. They should try a little harder.

da-bum

You figure if NYS can spend a few mil on a gondi, new trails, and a ski bridge, a nicer fence could be installed. Like this one, split-rail to wood lined sidewalls.View attachment 23055

this kind of fence would be a joke. If there is any amount of accumulation from snowmaking, that fence would end up being 6 inches high, and people would be skiing right off it. You can't negligently build hazardous structures and tell people ski at your own risk.

benski

this kind of fence would be a joke. If there is any amount of accumulation from snowmaking, that fence would end up being 6 inches high, and people would be skiing right off it. You can't negligently build hazardous structures and tell people ski at your own risk.

You could make the lower part a foot or 2 taller...