Belleayre 1-11-18: new gondi and soft snow

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Belleayre 1-11-18: new gondi and soft snow

Slipping out the door just before tomorrow's rain storm, I arrived mid morning for my first day here this season. I wanted to try the new gondi.
    FullSizeRender(15).jpg
    First ride up. It's a very smooth comfortable- and fast- ride.
    FullSizeRender(27).jpg
    Fog shrouded the upper mountain.
    Skied a lot of vertical off this lift. Needless to say, it significantly boosts the Belle's uphill capacity and takes pressure off the Superchief chair. Mild temps softened the snow to springlike conditions, while the cloud cover prevented things from getting too warm. Applying some Zardoz to my bases helped a lot, so I turned up the throttle to carve in the soft snow. Most trails on the upper mountain were either open, or had enough snow that they could have been open (got the feeling they're saving some for the holiday weekend, e.g. Belleayre trail.) Bumps could be found on Winisook and Onteora.
    FullSizeRender(31).jpg
    Heading back down to the lower mountain, here's the ski bridge that spans the road to Overlook Lodge.
    FullSizeRender(32).jpg
    "A View from the Bridge"
    The gondi re-orients the axis of the ski area more to the center of where it is on the map and spreads traffic towards the west side. Luckily for me, there wasn't much traffic at all today. Had most trails to myself, a nice sense of freedom.

If it's snowin' I'm goin'

Havent been there in years but want to check it out. Learned to ski there.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

That chain link fence looks kind of ugly. You think they could have been a little more creative with that.

How was the new trail below the bridge, back to the gondola? Pretty flat?

I'd be disappointed if Dot Nebel and such trails were open but the Tomahawk chair wasn't running and I had to ski down to the gondola.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapnut View Post
    How was the new trail below the bridge, back to the gondola? Pretty flat?
    I'd be disappointed if Dot Nebel and such trails were open but the Tomahawk chair wasn't running and I had to ski down to the gondola.
    The downside off the bridge has some pitch to it but not very far, then things flatten out. The trail then flows onto Iroquois near the learning area, then some more pitch down to the loading area, which is very close to the lodge.
    I would think that Tomahawk lift will be running on busy days. The day I was there didn't have enough traffic to justify it- I enjoyed riding the gondi instead.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    That chain link fence looks kind of ugly. You think they could have been a little more creative with that.
    Really? Its a freaking fence

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by mriceyman View Post
    Really? Its a freaking fence

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Yup. It looks cheap.

Totally spot on with that...

Either way, we plan to check out Belleayre - its been a couple of years.

What kind of fencing would you have preferred? A plastic orange one perhaps? Very eye catching.

fence1.jpg

Or orange netting that's so ubiquitous these days?

fence2.jpg

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thread Information