Drive from Burlington to Jay Peak - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post

    In my experience, New Hampshire does a MUCH better job with their roads than my section of Vermont.

    I think Vermont is terrible with the roads, I'm really surprised some here think they're good. In Jersey they do a phenomenal job with the roads. Last year in the 36" blizzard we had, the highways were blacktop and the local roads were very drivable, and I literally mean blacktop by the time the storm ended. The entire fleet of trucks works all night long.

    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I think Vermont is terrible with the roads, I'm really surprised some here think they're good. In Jersey they do a phenomenal job with the roads. Last year in the 36" blizzard we had, the highways were blacktop and the local roads were very drivable, and I literally mean blacktop by the time the storm ended. The entire fleet of trucks works all night long.
    NJ and phenomenal do not belong in the same sentence when it comes to snow removal...unless other parts of the state are drastically better, but in Bergen/Passaic/Essex counties they are horrendous with local roads. Even on highways I've seen numerous times on 78 after snow where all lanes aren't even cleared and snow from the shoulders is creeping into the right or left lanes.

  3. #23
    ^ That's never been my experience. Smooth sailing on 78 and the entirety of 287 North all the way to the NYS border. And I'm a "snowstorm chaser" who frequently points my SUV into the worst of the worst. Like today for instance, though hopefully I'll avoid 95% of the worst.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  4. #24
    ThinkSnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bad Liver Valley, VT
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I think Vermont is terrible with the roads, I'm really surprised some here think they're good. In Jersey they do a phenomenal job with the roads. Last year in the 36" blizzard we had, the highways were blacktop and the local roads were very drivable, and I literally mean blacktop by the time the storm ended. The entire fleet of trucks works all night long.
    If I recall correctly, didn't that snowstorm happen in March, when roadways are typically quicker to bounce back due to warmer temperatures in general?
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

  5. #25
    ThinkSnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bad Liver Valley, VT
    Posts
    562
    If the conditions are really that phenomenal in NJ, why bother ever leaving?
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

  6. #26
    I commute on 78 between the Turnpike and 287 on a daily basis and have seen the "uncleared shoulder/snow creeping into the left/right lane" scenario numerous times over the years along that stretch. I'll take your word on 287 though...I'm only on it a mile to get to 202/206 once I get off 78 so I wouldn't know how the rest of it is.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    If I recall correctly, didn't that snowstorm happen in March, when roadways are typically quicker to bounce back due to warmer temperatures in general?
    It was late January (last week of Jan IIRC). Went skiing in the Poconos, which I rarely do. The PA roads were terrible, you saw the line from blacktop to mess right at the PA border.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    If the conditions are really that phenomenal in NJ, why bother ever leaving?
    Huh, humor?
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    It was late January (last week of Jan IIRC). Went skiing in the Poconos, which I rarely do. The PA roads were terrible, you saw the line from blacktop to mess right at the PA border.
    Guessing you're referring to this storm from 2 years ago then...

  9. #29
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    6,466
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    It was late January (last week of Jan IIRC). Went skiing in the Poconos, which I rarely do. The PA roads were terrible, you saw the line from blacktop to mess right at the PA border.
    That's because they don't want anyone from NJ in their state.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Guessing you're referring to this storm from 2 years ago then...
    That's the one! My town flukily (sp) had the highest total from that storm (I think anyway), 36" due to intense mesoscale banding, though there are no trained spotters here so it never made it onto that map. Areas around me reported 30".
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.